Training Methods, Which Is Better?

Grippster

Which do you think is better, using explosive power to try and force heavy grippers shut, or closing them in a more slow and controlled manner. I always believed the explosive way was better, because you tear more tissue that way and therefore you build quicker. How do you guys train in this respect? I find this method very effective against the BC500.

I think what happens AFTER the gripper is forced shut is the more important issue on negatives. In general, I think people use too heavy of a gripper for negatives.

I don't know anything about using explosive power to force a gripper shut, but I'm not sure what kind of muscle you'd be building.

Intensity is important, but I think it's also important to be in control.

In general, I think people use too heavy of a gripper for negatives.

why? do you feel being able to hold it a bit longer helps build more strength?

Personally I want a gripper I can hold within 1/8" of being shut.

As for "explosive" training, not worth the risk IMO. Slow steady reps just like when I lift.

For me, it's not an issue of holding it longer. I feel the best benefit is when you are getting an overload AND working the range were the gripper is nearly closed or, in the case of a filed gripper, ideally past the point where the gripper would be closed. If you force a heavy gripper shut and it pops open to 1/4", you're not really getting an overload that works your crush in my opinion.

There's really not much point in trying to be explosive when forcing the gripper closed for negative. When forcing the gripper closed, do it in controlled fashion, but not purposefully slow either so that you are not wasting time and energy to that part.

Matt is right about the negatives.

Personally I want a gripper I can hold within 1/8" of being shut.

As for "explosive" training, not worth the risk IMO. Slow steady reps just like when I lift.

Here here!

Yes, I find the best way to stress your hand when a few millimetres away from your target gripper is to use same gripper with the dogleg away from the palm, give it all you got, force it closed and hold in shut for 5. Gives me a much more intense "pain" than using a tougher gripper and struggling with it through the sweep :)

IMHO, if you're training with a gripper you can close explosively, you're training with too easy of a gripper. I think you should close them slowly, but not just for the sake of it; you should use a gripper hard enough that even while giving it 100%, it's still closing slowly.

Now, when I lift, I always explode on the positive, and then drag the negative for all it's worth...but that's a discussion for another forum ;)

IMHO, if you're training with a gripper you can close explosively, you're training with too easy of a gripper. I think you should close them slowly, but not just for the sake of it; you should use a gripper hard enough that even while giving it 100%, it's still closing slowly.

Now, when I lift, I always explode on the positive, and then drag the negative for all it's worth...but that's a discussion for another forum ;)

What's the difference?

I try to close them as fast and explosive as I can but I suck at grippers so don't listen to me.

Situation is different as the original question was about the negs. Your advice is very true if we are talking about regular closes, they should always be done as fast as possible regardless of the resistance for the best results.

Situation is different as the original question was about the negs. Your advice is very true if we are talking about regular closes, they should always be done as fast as possible regardless of the resistance for the best results.

Hmmmm? I think the original question was about regular closes...he didn't say anything about negs:

Which do you think is better, using explosive power to try and force heavy grippers shut, or closing them in a more slow and controlled manner. I always believed the explosive way was better, because you tear more tissue that way and therefore you build quicker. How do you guys train in this respect? I find this method very effective against the BC500.
Edited by Magnus