Does bodyweight matter?

Guest mg6680

I've noticed the topic come up in a few different places regarding competition rules and thought it might make an interesting discussion.  We all know large hands are an advantage in some of the grip events, but I'm not so sure bodyweight really does; in fact, for some of the events being lighter might be an advantage.

Look at the Holle brothers, Mikael Siversson, David Hurzeler, Tom Black, Dennis Rodger, etc, etc.  They arent heavy men (well, compared to Harlan and myself they arent), but have very strong hands.  Does one who is of large stature have the potential to have stronger hands than a smaller person?  If Joe Kinney and the Holle bro's are an example, I dont think so.

You would assume that a large bonestructure would help but that only seems to be a small factor among many others. If you have larger bones you will in theory have larger sockets for the tendons which would help because gripstrength has a lot to do with tendon strength.

A larger person with larger hands may have the physical potential to have a stronger hand; however it doesn't amount to anything if that person doesn't train.

-HH

Then of course you have to also factor in some grip stunts require more then just a strong pair of mitts to perform.  The 500lb thick bar deadlifts come to mind....

Jon@han

Almost without fail the guys that close my #1 or #2 are over 200 pounds.  Usually well over for the #2 (225+).  It must make some difference, although I honestly don't know what it is.  

Ben

Guest Mikael Siversson

I have let numerous people who do not train their grip try my grippers and Rolling Thunder. Those that do best tend to be big men, not short and incredibly muscular but big framed. I have a reasonably strong grip in spite of not being very big (82 kg, 180lbs) but I train my grip a lot.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I think it may be better to compare hand length as opposed to body weight on most gripping exercises. I can think of no exercise where a small hand is a benifit.

on something like the rim lift, I'm pretty sure small fingers are better (fingers on rim side). Long fingers imply less torque applied. Same as in climbing: on small edges, short fingers are definitely better.

It should be the same on the hub lift.

But agreed, on most lifts a big hand is an advantage. The best I suppose would be large palm, short fingers. Anyway let's not get into the hand length debate again.

As for size, I agree with Mikael, and also believe big-framed people can become stronger in the grip - as long as they train hard.

I train hard, and I don't feel I have great strength. My brother in law and father in law, who cut wood for a living, who play tennis and who are big-framed, give me the impression to have much stronger hands than I do, even if they can't close the #3. they seemingly have great wrist and thumb strength (all-round grip strength in fact).

closing the #3 IMHO has a lot to do with technique, and nervous coordination. I agree strength isn't a disadvantage though  :) .

anyway, my two cents.

david

Guest Mikael Siversson

I just had a quick look at the results of the last Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge V (a total of 9 competitiors). No. 1-4 had an average body weight of 113 kg, whereas No. 6-9 had an average b.w of 101 kg. A bit small sample size though.