Silver Elite Vs Silver Crush

Charles

I guess many would think the two chrome gadgets were exactly the same - except one had a .295" spring as compared to .285". If we take a look at spring material, this is clearly not the case.

The spring on the old Silver Crushes were either A401, or A231 grade Vanadium. This is much different then today's grippers, being GR8 - even going back to the older ' dark' spring models which were A228 Music Wire ( Piano Grade). The Vanadium spring material tended to be tempered - unlike the heat treatment on A228 - thereby giving it that extra stiffness in the mechanics of the gripper.

Springs on the Silver Elites where coated in a Silicon base. The Silicon base was never as sturdy, and through usage of time, lead to the deterioration of the material. This could explain the reason behind Bill Piches Elite snapping:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...hl=Silver+Elite

Did the chrome IM grippers snap as easy? Don Larkin has a broken #2 mounted on the wall at his gym. I don't have calipers handy, but eyeballing the gripper with a ruler, it looks like the Silver Elite has a smaller than .295 spring.

My main reason for thinking they are the same is that Richard Sorin posted something to that effect about 8 years or so ago when I commented about how hard the Silver Elite was.

Did the chrome IM grippers snap as easy? Don Larkin has a broken #2 mounted on the wall at his gym. I don't have calipers handy, but eyeballing the gripper with a ruler, it looks like the Silver Elite has a smaller than .295 spring.

My main reason for thinking they are the same is that Richard Sorin posted something to that effect about 8 years or so ago when I commented about how hard the Silver Elite was.

The Silver Elite I am talking about is an '04 model from Tetting.

The spring looked identical, in size, to my FBBC Hard.

Edited by Charles

Was the spring chrome? I have been told that he has refused to make custom chrome spring grippers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm have such a "new" silver elite. It's just a gripper with a crome Elite spring (and steel crome handles).