New To Pinching

tight five

Decided to work some pinching into my grip workouts today, having never done any but read a bit about it.

Started off putting 2 x 10kg plates together flat side out and did 2 x 10 pinch lifts with them

Really felt it in the forearms and, no doubt, will now become a valuable part of my training. Just have to work out how to keep going with the grippers and not overtrain the whole thing

Edited by tight five

I would add some hub lifting also find some plate's with a good hub and get with it !!! :D

Will look into it. The plates I have at home have a hub shaped a bit like this / \

Makes them night on impossible to grip. I assume I want plated where the hub is [ ] ?

Or am I just being a pussy?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would add to an older thread instead of starting a new one to ask a pretty simple question.

I am pretty new to pinch grip training and have been doing it mainly to suppliment gripper work.

Thing is I have no idea about where I should be seeing as I recently closed the #2 with the right hand and am near to doing the same with the left.

I posted a link.... what do you guys think, Is that where I should be with thumb strength or do I need to step it up when training towards the #2.5?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBCC28Dr4k

Thought I would add to an older thread instead of starting a new one to ask a pretty simple question.

I am pretty new to pinch grip training and have been doing it mainly to suppliment gripper work.

Thing is I have no idea about where I should be seeing as I recently closed the #2 with the right hand and am near to doing the same with the left.

I posted a link.... what do you guys think, Is that where I should be with thumb strength or do I need to step it up when training towards the #2.5?

That's really good for where you're at with grippers. When I was at that point I couldn't pinch 2-25s, but mine are very very slick. Are you not able to get a full DL with your right hand? You look capable of it by how long you held it there. Nonetheless, great job, keep progressing towards a full lift.

That's really good for where you're at with grippers. When I was at that point I couldn't pinch 2-25s, but mine are very very slick. Are you not able to get a full DL with your right hand? You look capable of it by how long you held it there. Nonetheless, great job, keep progressing towards a full lift.

I think that I could... I am assuming that you mean dead lifting that with both hands at the same time?

If you did then it should be possible as at the start of my grip session I could hold those plates for 8 seconds with my RH and 6 seconds with the left. Maybe it takes more strength to do it with both sides at the same time?

Perhaps I should try a farmer's walk next time :)

Thanks for your input. As for the grippers, my progress seems to have ground to a halt overall, though my left hand has caught up a bit. I am thinking I should go on the KTA but I can't yet reliably hold the #2 shut EVERYTIME for the over-crushes I need in this program.

Got a couple small skin tears from the wrist roller work so I could be a good time to take a full week off from the crush and let the hands recover.

If I do that farmers walk pinch in three days would it hinder my crush grip recovery much?

No, I mean lifting it all the way up to where your hand is at your waist while pinching. If you can do it with both hands or do a FW, by all means go for it!

I always tell people at your stage in grip to NOT do KTA as in this early of a stage you don't need it at all. You just need to either change up your routine a bit, or just plain work harder. With how early you are in grip training it would probably just destroy your hands in every way possible because it's a brutal routine.

It will to an extent, but I wouldn't worry about it to much. However it varies from person to person so I can't tell you absolutely.

Yes I suppose I may be being a little impatient but I like to see positive progress with every workout and it can be disheartening to see the occasional gap WIDER than it was the last time!

I suppose like anything you can't expect to see PBs with every workout and this is something I just need to accept, especially with the diminishing returns you get when on the same old routine.

Going from the #1 to the #2 was measured in weeks but to go from the #2 to the 2.5 is going to take months.

If on Wednesday at the gym I can close the #2 again on my first attempt I will start the KTA program as I'll feel I have earned the right but If I miss it by a hair on that first try I will proceed with plan B...

LOL just need to figure out the new workout schedule which will be... Plan B! :P

Either way I will go for that farmers walk and post the result.

Edited by Frank9

Thats about right. I was pinching 35's the same time I was closing the 2.5. I was closing the #3 for reps long before I could pinch 2x45's. So I think your right where you need to be for thumb strength.

Well today at the gym I decided to do for the double pinch lift with both hands as apposed to the FW thinking its better to check that I can walk before I try to run so to speak.

I can now easily DL those plates with the right hand and even softly place them back down and JUST ABOUT DL them with the left (putting them down being a lot less graceful!)

Curiously when I tried to do both sides at the same time I could hardly get them off the floor! Maybe both sides requires more muscular coordination?

Anyway, on another note, I decided to not do the KTA for now as today I was pleased to see more gains with the grippers on my old routine. With my right hand I got the #2 closed without too much fuss on the first attempt and with the dogleg the "wrong" way which I am very happy with :)

With my left weaker hand and the dogleg the "right" way I am now down to around 2.5-3mm from a close. Hoping I could nail it in 2 weeks.

I feel my right hand is now ready for a filed #2 but my left is not. I don't want to buy another gripper so do I just do overcrushes with the RH til the LH catches up or should I file this #2 to better serve my RH at the expense of seeing a close with my LH?

Yes, doing something with both hands at once is FAR harder then doing it seperately. Coordination, dual muscular contraction instead of singular, etc.

Told you so about KTA, ;) Train pinch=grippers through the roof.

i'm a newb, but i think the reason why i progressed so fast to closing the #3 was simply because i trained on it. i think you should just get you one and do negatives. sooner or later you're gonna kill it.

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY I managed to do both sides at the same time. To me this is a significant improvement over being able to deadlift just the one side in turn.

Next workout I need to check my max pinch lifts on each hand. This feat was after a week's layoff from pinch training as I found progress was going nowhere and my webbing had split and hands felt weak and over-trained.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M12Em7l9Vqg

Its amazing what taking a break from training can do! :)