Pliar chins?

ruffhans

bieng about 1/4 inch from closing my #3 coc, i tend to thinim stronger than i realy am sometimes. awhile ago i looped a chain over my chin up bar and grabed onto it with wth two pair of pliars looking to do some chins. lets just say i never got of the ground,and i found out just how week my hands where!!  :0 anyone else ever tied this?

Guest Jeff Roark

I tried it and I couldn't even hang there. Quite disturbing. It seems that it there is more involved than just squeezing really tight. It sort of felt like it was turning into a full body grip attempt. Just goes to show how impressive rafter chins are.

Guest Jeff Roark

You know I tried it on deadlifts too. I just wrapped my lifting straps around the bar and clamped down on them. I can say I didn't lift hardly anything at all. Maybe I'll try to work those in again as you don't hear anyone doing this at all.

Guest Jeff Roark

Hey I am here at work in my shop on lunch. I just grabbed two pairs of my 10in channel locks and went into the mechanical rooma and grabbed a peice of uni-strut. I hang there and pulled myself up once! My grip has improved alot since the last time I tried these I guess!

Jeff,

Isn't uni-strut square? Wouldn't that be easier,

especially with channel-locs rather than regular

pliers?

Not to rain on your uni-bomber and blitz routine...

Guest Jeff Roark

Yeah it is square. As for as being easier I don't see how. You are gripping the handles of the tool not the uni-strut. I could be wrong though. It wasn't easy by any means...

Guest CalvinP

How much do you weigh Ruffhans? My is only 140# so it may be light to try this (I will later though). My phylosophy always has been: Conquering your body weight is one of the true tests of functional strength. Then again at 140# and 14.1/4 inches arms helps a lot. Did you clamp the pliers with the middle sections or the tips on the chain? The tips is probably a lot harder

I imagine this would be brutal, I guess bentover rows with pliers pinching straps around a bar would help you increase your strength to the point of being able to try some chins?

I think I read somewhere someone claimed to do a hang (not a chin) by pinching the last link of a chain with first finger and thumb ????

Jon@han

Is the challenge keeping the pliers from losing their grip, or is it keeping from losing one's own grip on the plier handles?  Hanging from a leather belt holding onto two pairs of knurled steel pliers was pretty easy.  It only became hard when I used slightly-greasy plastic-handled channel-locks.  Perhaps it's the use of a belt?  I'll snag some chain and try again.

calvin,

i weigh 240 lbs, and i ws trying to do the chin with only the tips of the pliars holding onto the chain. i couldnt belive how hard it was! i went out and bought some 2 inch thick rope, hung it over my chin bar, i can only do about 4 chins, and it takes an all out effort!

jeff0,

the challenge for me was my grip on the pliars. i thought it would be the challenge of sqeezing the pliars, but i couldnt even hang on long enough to get a feel for it! ;)  im not saying im some tough guy or anything, but for any of you that wiegh under 240 lbs, strap some wieght on yurself to bring you up to that, and try it out!! :p  heck, just strap on 50 llbs and go for it.  il be sure to let you all know when i do my first COMPLETE pliar chin.