Quarter Tearing

Pancake Sprawl

i have a friend, who likes to tell me stories about all the guys he knows that are stronger than me. since i've been getting into the grip game last year he's told me all kinds of stories. but this one really got me. he told me that he knows a guy who can tear quarters in half and even nickels. i didn't say anything except that i couldn't do it, and he just snickered.

but what i was wondering was, has anyone ever done that with their hands? i know Tommy Heslep has bent a dime using his teeth and thumb, but this guy told me the dude tore the quarter in half with his hands?

No, plenty of people have claimed it and one person even did it on camera in front of Dennis Rogers, however he cut the quarter first (unknowingly to Dennis originally). No person has ever officially done it.

Sounds like a tall tale to me.

I know this is my first post ever, but in my experience with strength feats it goes like this:

If you caught a fish this big

((---------------))

There's always a guys friend who caught a fish this big

((---------------------------------))

I don't mean anyone on the board of course ;)

Tearing a quarter with your hands seems pretty unrealistic as I've never heard of it being done with a modern quarter. Of course....there's always that chance. My eyes almost popped outta my head when I saw Tommy Heslep crush those potatoes.

Try it with plyers,you have to bend it back & "4"th over & over.It cant be done with the hands,Unless it is a magic trick. Here is a pic. of a penny I broke.I held it in my teeth & bent it with my thumb till it broke.http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=7908

Try it with plyers,you have to bend it back & "4"th over & over.It cant be done with the hands,Unless it is a magic trick. Here is a pic. of a penny I broke.I held it in my teeth & bent it with my thumb till it broke.http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=7908

I think I speak for everyone in saying ..... HOLY CRAP!!!!! :blink:whacked:help

I think I speak for everyone in saying ..... HOLY CRAP!!!!! :blink:whacked:help

Yup, you speak for me.

Edited by Magnus

i just tried that put in your teeth and push up with your thumb thing and all i succeeded in doing is hurting my thumbs hahaha

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

Only by long, since passed uncles, former and unlocateable coworkers, friends of friends, and as Tommy mentioned: magicians.

Interestingly enough, several years before I even got into the grip game there was a guy I knew who told me about a guy that could do it. I knew back then that it was BS. Now I don't believe for a second that the guy could actually do it but the kid telling me about it absolutely believed it and was really getting ticked off that I didn't believe him. I know of the guy that could supposedly do it and he is pretty strong but I'd be shocked if he was smart enough to pull off any sleight of hand. I'd like to run into him and see what the deal is.

I've never seen anyone do it but several observations about bending coins. #1 pennys made after 83 or 84 are copper plated zinc and the ones before that were copper. I would think the zinc would be easier to break but I'm sure Tommy can elaborate as I've never done the coin thing.

Now as for the quarters. Mike Dayton claims to be able to bend quarters and even nickles on occasion. He states it in the first World's Strongest Man comp after winning the wrist roll. Also, I have an article with him downloaded on my computer somewhere that he tells who taught him to do it and that he's now teaching someone else to do it. He says he's tore a nickle but they're much harder. I've read of a couple respectable names that claim to have seen him do it.

Now, I'm not vouching for Mike, I've never met him, don't know him and have never seen him do this feat. I can say this, I can't do it but heck look at what Gary Hunt bends.

You got me but if you want to search the tall tales, Mike Dayton is where to start. I know anybody who can hang hisself the way he did has got to have something exceptional going on.

Tim

I've never seen anyone do it but several observations about bending coins. #1 pennys made after 83 or 84 are copper plated zinc and the ones before that were copper. I would think the zinc would be easier to break but I'm sure Tommy can elaborate as I've never done the coin thing.

Now as for the quarters. Mike Dayton claims to be able to bend quarters and even nickles on occasion. He states it in the first World's Strongest Man comp after winning the wrist roll. Also, I have an article with him downloaded on my computer somewhere that he tells who taught him to do it and that he's now teaching someone else to do it. He says he's tore a nickle but they're much harder. I've read of a couple respectable names that claim to have seen him do it.

Now, I'm not vouching for Mike, I've never met him, don't know him and have never seen him do this feat. I can say this, I can't do it but heck look at what Gary Hunt bends.

You got me but if you want to search the tall tales, Mike Dayton is where to start. I know anybody who can hang hisself the way he did has got to have something exceptional going on.

Tim

ok, thanks A LOT man. but does he bend them Tommy Heslep style, or with his hands?

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

Tim

ok, thanks A LOT man. but does he bend them Tommy Heslep style, or with his hands?

Pretty sure with his hands. I think tearing it means bending it back and forth but I'm not sure.

I'll try to dig up that article.

Tim

I thought the grip master himself john brokfield said it was physically impossible to even BEND a quarter even with teeth let alone tear it in half! A lot of people exaggerate and make up myths all the time.

I thought the grip master himself john brokfield said it was physically impossible to even BEND a quarter even with teeth let alone tear it in half! A lot of people exaggerate and make up myths all the time.

http://www.gregmatonick.com/QUARTER_BENDING_PHOTOS.html

this guy did it? or is it fake?

Thats no fake. I've bent coins (also a quarter) with my thumb and teeth as well without too much practice, so I'm sure that with more practice 60D's can be done as well.

But with only hands is a completely different story, I can't imagine anyone being able to do so ;)

I believe that the Mighty Atom (Joe Greenstein) could bite a quarter in half, which might be where some of the stories come from. However, those older quarters were made out of soft silver and are nothing like what we have now.

ok, i've just found on dennis rogers site, a pick of a quarter torn almost completely in half.

http://functionalhandstrength.com/dennis_r...t_powerful.html

halfway down the page there's a pic of it. it says "did human hands tear this quarter?"

anyone know anything about that picture?

That's the one Derek was talking about. It is on Crazy But Powerful. Dennis traveled to see it, and was tricked.

Thats no fake. I've bent coins (also a quarter) with my thumb and teeth as well without too much practice, so I'm sure that with more practice 60D's can be done as well.

But with only hands is a completely different story, I can't imagine anyone being able to do so ;)

Greg Matonick has done 60D's in his teeth as well. Stanless Steel and Mike Roy have both also done pennies with just their fingers. A quarter will be bent with just fingers within the next 1-2 years. :)

Edited by justiceislost1988

Stanless Steel and Mike Roy have both also done pennies with just their fingers.

Is there a vdeo of this? I have a hard time believing it.

Gazza has bent stainless steel in his teeth (8mm I believe?) That was about the most awful video I've ever seen.

Edited by The Writer

warbling a penny that leaves your fingers cut to shreds, which is what I've heard regarding Stanless Steel "bending" one, is a LONG ways from tearing a quarter in half.

I thought we were talking with hand's not teeth don't get me wrong I can't do it with my teeth,foot, butt cheak's whatever. But I am not buying it with out some bracing don't tell me shooowwww me !!!!

I have personally witnessed an old English penny being bent not in half but in a semi curve with bare hands. The person who bent the penny had claimed that when in his youth he could bend a penny and had a number of other claims that seemed to good to be true. The gentleman worked at the same factory as me but we had not met he was a little shy of discussing this type of thing with strangers but we started chatting about the Saxons and our friendship developed from there we even did a bit of training together with some 56lb block weights during dinner hour.

I obtained some old penny coins and tried to bend them with another friend with no success we tracked down the shy Samson and I asked him to have a go he had a brief attempt and then returned to his shop for a tea break, I followed him and challenged him to have another go he did and what a sight it was I can picture it to this day and it was 20 years ago he was sat down and his whole body seemed to go rigid his face contorted this lasted for a brief second and it was over he handed the coin back to me and it had been bent. No trick coins, no sleight of hand, no bracing just this unbelievable focus of strength to his finger tips. He was over 50 at the time.