Im's little big horn

Guest mg6680

I've been interested in anvil lifting for a bit now so I purchased the Little Big Horn from IM.  Its ~6" long w/loops on each end.  Solid steel - probably weighs 8-10lbs.  A tapered, cylindrical shape to mimic the horn of an anvil.  It appears to be a very versital tool for the grip and forearms, as it would be very good for crushing and leverage work.  One could use it as a quasi-kettlebell, doing snatches,etc.  Curls, reverse curls, hammer curls, whatever.  I'm anxious to train with it.  Anyone who has one of these or does anvil lifting please give some feedback.

Morgan

First workout w/the anvil simulator.  I suspect this horn is too small of a diameter to simulate the big anvils R. Sorin and others lifted.  This one is about 2.5" at the biggest end and I suspect normal anvils in the 150 - 200+lb range have bigger horns (most aren't perfectly round either).

Regardless, I did a brief workout w/the horn today.  Started w/some one hand deadlifts.  I only went up to about 60lbs, but I suspect one should be able to do RT weight (or more).  I moved on to a crush workout by simply lifting the anvil and pin hammer curl style, little end up.  A good feel, but the only problem is the wrist/forearm/shoulder give out before the hand does.  I worked up to about 60lbs or so and it put a lot of stress on the wrist/forearm (much more than the hand).

The last exercises I did were some leverage lifts.  This is where the horn really shines.  To this point I have no other device (hammers, etc) that make my wrist and forearms feel so powerful.  I only did foward and reverse levers, but one could do pronate and supinate w/it also.  This really hit the wrist hard.

Morgan

I like the anvil so much I went down to the local machine shop and had him cut a 6" piece of 3 1/4" solid round stock.  I'm gonna have it machined on one end to 2.5".  I just have to find some good, solid eyelets to weld on.

• 3 weeks later...

mg,

I've worked up to 150 pounds on my LBH. It's an interesting diversion to grip training, and something different to try when you get bored.

Granted, it's not EXACTLY like a anvil horn, but it's more of a simulator. My 50 pound anvil has a different feel to it, and some of the really huge anvil horns I can't put my hand around! I was really annoyed using plates to add on to my real anvil; had to use a chain and then the whole mess would shift when I tried to clean it off the floor! That's why I got the LBH....

The only thing I dont like (cuz its harder) about the horn is its extremely slick. The slightest amount of moisture on the hand dramatically changes the amount of weight I can use. Also, its a uncoated, machined finish that rusts very easily. Still a good piece of equip tho.

mg6680,

Chain links make excellent eyehooks. You can go to HomeDepot

and buy yourself a foot of chain cheap. Have your welder cut a

length in half. I use the largest size chain Homedepot has.

Weld the half link on and you are set to go.

mg,

Clean you LBH real good, and allow it to rust. Then chalk it up; it won't be as slick and you can lift some weight with it now!

MG6680

I have just had 2 anvil horns made 3" tapering to 2" they are very nice

as you suggest it would be better to get one made say 2.5"-3.5" to

simulate the larger anvils. :blush