Test Drove The Scf-xtra#5 Today

Brad Manion

I was going to give this another few days, maybe even a week, but I had that feeling that today would be a good one. Warmed up with a SCF-UltraLite#2 and a DC1. Didn't think I'd do well on my PR attempts since the DC1 took me a minute and I only got it to 140 degrees of damage. Guess I got a little angry because of that, for I went in to the SCF-Lite (non-rim) #2 and expected to maybe just get it started or tie my PR on the other 4-5 shoes of that size I've done (90-100 degrees of damage). I absolutely smoked this one for 180 degrees of damage and in less than 30 seconds, feeling that I earned for myself the privelege to go for another PR.

So, after about 5 minutes or so, I wrapped up the SCF-Xtra#5 and gave it a go. Though I'm going to be hurting from that effort, I didn't find it to be as brutal as I first expected, especially after doing the SCF-Lite#2. The extra bar width didn't really come into play yet, though I expect that to be a major factor as I work my way down to the Xtra #2 and #3. What did come into play though, was the extra length of the shoe. This made it difficult to pull it into my thigh, and it caused the shoe to spin. This is definitely something to think about when I try the next step up, the KH-SSP#5, and something I must really conquer if I ever want to slay the mightiest looking of my showpieces right now, the KH-Draft #8. Anyways, it was a little tough to stabilize but once I took care of that, I got it to about 140 degrees in 30-40 seconds. I would've made it to 180 degrees easily, but one of my training partners said something that got me laughing so hard that I blacked out for 3-5 seconds, dropping the shoe and killing any chance of my doing any more damage. What are friends for :cool

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures as I was doing this at the end of a powerlifting seminar and gave my PR shoes to the two hosts.

Awesome Brad!!! Those shoes are huge.

Yeah I've had friends make me laugh and lose concentration in the middle of an attempt at something. Almost always either Paul or Aaron, although Eric and Casey have made some strange jokes too :D

Nice job Brad!!!! :rock :rock :rock

Thanks a lot for the support guys. This is probably the one thing I've been most fascinated by since I first started doing grip-related feats. Gotta give credit to Dan Sweeney for getting me hooked with those first two shoes he gave me. Those first hits were free, but I was instantly hooked, and since then, I have spent close to $1000 worth of new shoes. It's been a LOT of work and pain, but it's nice to see this addiction finally paying off. What's weird about this is how the smallest details pay off. I've seen so many videos, over and over and over, but reading an old thread by Zach put it all together for my start technique. I now stand up straight as much as possible and keep the edge of that shoe as vertical as possible, and that allows me to really crank on the shoe without feeling like all my ribs are going to snap. Unlike really short DO unbraced bends, if I can get a shoe started barely, that first 20 degrees of damage, I KNOW it will always get finished (to at least 90, but finished nonetheless).

I still look at my KH-Draft #8 shoes every night before going to bed, showing them the respect they deserve, but my fear of them is finally subsiding... slowly, yes, but it is subsiding.

Thanks a lot for the support guys. This is probably the one thing I've been most fascinated by since I first started doing grip-related feats. Gotta give credit to Dan Sweeney for getting me hooked with those first two shoes he gave me. Those first hits were free, but I was instantly hooked, and since then, I have spent close to $1000 worth of new shoes. It's been a LOT of work and pain, but it's nice to see this addiction finally paying off. What's weird about this is how the smallest details pay off. I've seen so many videos, over and over and over, but reading an old thread by Zach put it all together for my start technique. I now stand up straight as much as possible and keep the edge of that shoe as vertical as possible, and that allows me to really crank on the shoe without feeling like all my ribs are going to snap. Unlike really short DO unbraced bends, if I can get a shoe started barely, that first 20 degrees of damage, I KNOW it will always get finished (to at least 90, but finished nonetheless).

I still look at my KH-Draft #8 shoes every night before going to bed, showing them the respect they deserve, but my fear of them is finally subsiding... slowly, yes, but it is subsiding.

:blush Glad I could help Brad! If I may, what thread was it? My "How to Bend Horseshoes" thread?

Nicw Brad! :rock did you try the #2 Xtra? or were you talking about the #5 Xtra?

Zach, it was the "How to Bend Horseshoes" thread.

Thanks for the compliment Paul. I was talking about the 5 Xtra. I'm going to work my way down to the 2 Xtra over a few weeks. Once I get that, I'm going to try the SCF-Regular Rim #2 or #3.

Edited by Brad Manion