Broke Hose Clamp Chokers

barbe705

Has anyone ever had a hose clamp break when they used it as a choker? I was tightening one when I heard a load pop. I looked it over and it seems fine. It might have been caught on the knurling and made the noise as it broke free. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen.

Brent

I had the threads strip just the other day. Good quality stainless clamp too. It was on a GM so I can immagine the really tough grippers could make them fly.

Tim

My brick-like HG350 broke one a while back. Actually unfolded the formed parts of the clamp. :blink Good quality clamp too!!

this makes me think that I'm going to find myself doing a very intense negative some time soon.

thanks for the response. At least now I know to be aware.

Brent

Please forgive me for straying from your exact topic, but when you use a hose clamp, do you need to put anything else on the gripper or clamp to keep the clamp from sliding down the gripper when you crush it?

I've seen people use electrical tape, athletic tape, duct tape, and scotch tape(I'm looking at you Zach) I've never used any of them but, as long as the clamp could bite into it I think it should help keep the clamp stay in place. I have pinched myself a couple of times but, It's pretty easy to avoid if you just pay attention.

Brent

I think the real reason a lot of guys use tape is to protect the gripper. PBBHHHHHT. I just let it get scuffed up.

• 7 years later...

Back from the dead because I searched. I'd think you could easily injure yourself if a clamp broke, has that happened to anyone? If a gripper rated 150 lbs at the end of the handle, the clamp would probably see 400 lbs or so set to parallel because it's so much closer to the spring, and those hose clamps just aren't designed for that amount of force.

Anyone with some recent experiences?

Here's what I use a 1 1/4" washer...costs about a $1...cheaper than a hose clamp and frees up the whole handle for hand placement...easy on...easy off...gotta love it lol

post-15518-0-56121000-1443497483_thumb.j

• Like 1

Here's what I use a 1 1/4" washer...costs about a $1...cheaper than a hose clamp and frees up the whole handle for hand placement...easy on...easy off...gotta love it lol

That's a pretty good idea, the only thing is a hose clamp lets you adjust the spread to basically whatever you want. How wide would you say the washer opens the handles up?

That's true Tom...a hose clamp does allow you to adjust the spread....1 1/4" washer gives it a little wider than parallel...you could try a 1 3/16" washer for about a parallel set.

• Like 2

I'd definitely trust a washer, but have seen discussion about a different feel between hose clamp on the handles, and a washer on the spring. All things considered I'd go washer over hose clamp because I think the risk for injury is high if a clamp breaks.