Topic Over Ne Forum: What Job Makes You A Better Awer?

fightertrainer

I like to repeat the topic here because I am not a member there yet. As far as what job would actually helps you with your AW progress. IMO I 've met many peole who AW me with different job back ground. I have to say that those who gave me tough matches were alway fishermen. They all have amazing forearms and hands. Next is construction. workers. I AWed a guy who has powerful forearm which he told me he got it from mixing concrete by hands. BUt fihsermen always made me sored the next day after AW against them. Even skinny guy can pick up 2 shrimps in their hand and pop the heads off the body before throwing them over their shoulder onto the pile behind them. After 2000 shrimps processed like that a day every day, and all the cuts and nicks the hands become very tough and thick. Cris who was TX 165lbs champ was a mason worker with extreme powerfull hands. One particular fiherman I've heard was so strong that he's beaten everyone in Port Arthur TX in AW. Evereyone in the fishing industry there. They called him superman for that reason. I 've beat many top fishermen there in AW but never meet that guy. But they all told me by the way I beat them, they said that "superman guy could beat me with ease" The legend said that when the motor that was used to haul in the nets broke, he would pull it onto the boat by hands while 4 others men pull on another side. What were your experience?

ive alwasy thought farmers were quite good, powerful hands and forearms. i found this out when i got flattened by one, i got owned. anywasy i saw him again a couple years later and i beat him. i kinda know a construction worker whos arms are just immense. but. people are onyl gonna get so good from this. to get a pro level u need to just prtactice it more. as i did and i finally beat these guys. one thing i notice from them though, is there hands, mainly the fingers, are just friggin huge. i want hands like taht. it seems from the work/job they did/do they get bigger in thickness. i need a job like that.

I guess airline mechanics do ok :D

One of the guys I was sitting next to at 07 Unifieds told me Chris Chandler did fencing all his life with his Dad. He said he was basically pulling or turning or twisting something all day long.

Especially at Delta Airlines :rock

Especially at Delta Airlines :rock

Hard to argue those points, hahaha.

• 1 month later...

There are several types of jobs that can produce outstanding armwrestlers ;

Farmers

Most of the farmers get an awesome arm, shoulder and backworkout by their daily work, throwing around

stacks of hay, pushing heavy wheelsbarrows and lifting awkward sacks of fodder.

Masons & Construction Workers

By grabbing and carrying heavy sacks of concrete and the endless handling of stones and tools masons

usually have incredible forearms and a crushing strength far above the average.

Lumberjacks

Interestingly lumberjacks train with thickbars, odd objects and levering movements without their knowledge.

Swinging a heavy axe all day long builds respectable wrist strength and cordy, strong tendons in the entire arm.

No job is as good as hard training and rest.

I have made a living in construction and masonry, and like working out ,your body quickly adapts and the work is no longer hard, thus you stop making gains as you would in a gym.

I have many stories of trade masons, lumberjacks,mechanics, and const. workers......who weren't strong at all,....I mean they were as strong as they need to be to complete their job.....but, I wouldn't say they were "strong" by any means.

Alot of these men we meet from different trades who seem so strong were probabally really strong long before they started their trade.

Actually that is probabally one of the reasons why they are in the trade at first, because what is a physically demanding job and very difficult for most...........it isn't so hard for them.....thus, they excel at the job more so than their peers.

This is my experience, My father owned a multi faceted construction company for 30+ years and through his experience and my own since I was 13.......it definately depends on the individual. Nothing has made the progress as actual training, actually hard labor jobs make it so hard to heal since you never get the rest time in between workouts.

Professional armwrestler.

Heh.

If only......

the best job i ever had arm wrestling related was when i worked with a stone mason :D I've heard a couple stories of guys who swung hamers all day who when they switched to nail guns they lost some on the table [ top rollers ] Most Jobs are endurence related which wouldnt do much for AW

Edited by Robert Bishop

electricians back in the day, when they had to do every thing by hand. twisting and screwing long ass screw all day. that can toughen the wrist and fingers. fsherman also have strong hands. they are always working using hands. pulling nets, lifting fish tubs 9which works the fingers) it weighs about 80 pounds a tub. taking fish out from the net, also talkes great deal of strength. cause you are using your hand to hold on to the fish, and they are very slimy and slippers, so you gotta pinch them as hard as you can, while trying to untangle it from the net with a small hook. plus youi do this all year. sometimes it is 30 to 40 below. very hard on the hands.

The strongest grip I ever felt, without training, was a dairy farmer. Milking cows all day by hand for 60 years. Yes, this guy was in his late 60's. His grip was incredible.

The strongest grip I ever felt, without training, was a dairy farmer. Milking cows all day by hand for 60 years. Yes, this guy was in his late 60's. His grip was incredible.

Bob, how did you "feel" his grip? Through a handshake? Because if it's like that, I'd have to ask - did he have a huge hand? Huge hands make for powerful handshakes, and sometimes they wouldn't have such a strong grip in other movements (grip feats or armwrestling I'm guessing). At least that's what I think.

Here is a job no one has mentioned: Guy who delivers compressed gas cylinders.

Like the helium tanks one sees for filling balloons, or the argon tanks used by welders. Hospitals and laboratories also use various compressed gasses. I've seen these guys roll two at a time. It looks like fat bar wrist curls. And they do it all day long.

Here is a job no one has mentioned: Guy who delivers compressed gas cylinders.

Like the helium tanks one sees for filling balloons, or the argon tanks used by welders. Hospitals and laboratories also use various compressed gasses. I've seen these guys roll two at a time. It looks like fat bar wrist curls. And they do it all day long.

It has to be someone you've have experience against, no? I once met a truck driver who was driving his rig w/o power steering...huge forearms

Arturo, His hand was about the same size as mine. It was a hand shake, I just remember thinking "Holy Sh*t" when we shook hands. I ask him how his hand got so strong. He told me what he did.

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, do you know the foto of the guy with the absolutely incredible wrist flexor them

and old Strength & Health magazine ? He looks like a genetically deformed freak, so huge is his flexor.

The description said that he worked as a stage laborer pulling ropes. Maybe rope pulling is a real key to forearm development ?

I believe this pic appeared some time ago on the Ditillio Blog.

Just work in a paint warehouse carrying these things around all day:

http://www.mbari.org/expeditions/vance/ima...Buckets_640.jpg

They weigh usually between 45 and 65 lbs. depending on what it in them (5-gallon buckets). Also the basement of the warehouse I worked is filled with boxes of paint, each box has four 1-gallon cans in it. The boxes usually weigh 35-50 lbs. but a couple weighed about 60 lbs.

Well no it's not so great for armwrestling. When I worked there I had been doing AW tournaments for only 1-3 months (longer as the summer went on) and I smashed everybody else who worked there. But when I carried the boxes I carried them with my hands opened up a lot and it definitely helped my fingers from toprolls, too bad it was only a summer time job. :(

Edited by Josh H

Just work in a paint warehouse carrying these things around all day:

http://www.mbari.org/expeditions/vance/ima...Buckets_640.jpg

They weigh usually between 45 and 65 lbs. depending on what it in them (5-gallon buckets). Also the basement of the warehouse I worked is filled with boxes of paint, each box has four 1-gallon cans in it. The boxes usually weigh 35-50 lbs. but a couple weighed about 60 lbs.

Well no it's not so great for armwrestling. When I worked there I had been doing AW tournaments for only 1-3 months (longer as the summer went on) and I smashed everybody else who worked there. But when I carried the boxes I carried them with my hands opened up a lot and it definitely helped my fingers from toprolls, too bad it was only a summer time job. :(

i did this a lot when i was a painter's laborer. i saved a lot of time and probably gained some strength by carrying 2 of them in one hand.

I have hung Drywall since I was 12. I bent my first horseshoe unbraced on my second try, ripped a phonebook my first try, bent a 60D my first try, etc. I beat a lot of guys in Armwrestling. Big guys too. Guys who tell me how they can bench 300 for reps when I tell them about my oldtime feats. My brother has been hanging and framing for almost 20 years and he hasn't been beat by anybody other than other construction workers, from what I know. 2 of my brothers are like that as well as people I've worked with.

I agree about the fisherman though. I was laughed at by one. He was just a drunk homeless guy and he started talking about how he used to be a big time armwrestler in Alaska after he saw me and my Nephew armwrestle. We hooked up and immediately I knew what the outcome was going to be. His wrist was AMAZINGLY solid. The strongest guy I've ever hooked up with :). Which I haven't done anything with somebody who actually trains it.

Hard labor is the best training over time. It gives you tough hands and strong hands. I enjoy it :).

I have hung Drywall since I was 12. I bent my first horseshoe unbraced on my second try, ripped a phonebook my first try, bent a 60D my first try, etc. I beat a lot of guys in Armwrestling. Big guys too. Guys who tell me how they can bench 300 for reps when I tell them about my oldtime feats. My brother has been hanging and framing for almost 20 years and he hasn't been beat by anybody other than other construction workers, from what I know. 2 of my brothers are like that as well as people I've worked with.

I agree about the fisherman though. I was laughed at by one. He was just a drunk homeless guy and he started talking about how he used to be a big time armwrestler in Alaska after he saw me and my Nephew armwrestle. We hooked up and immediately I knew what the outcome was going to be. His wrist was AMAZINGLY solid. The strongest guy I've ever hooked up with :). Which I haven't done anything with somebody who actually trains it.

Hard labor is the best training over time. It gives you tough hands and strong hands. I enjoy it :).

I agree. We have 3 guys at our local club and they hang drywall all day. All 3 of them are strong as an ox!

I worked construction for the best part of 20plus years mostly as a hod carrier also did alot od dry walling and plaster mixing.

It makes me laugh now when i go past a building site and see alot of the labourers with the big beer bellies and fat asses :D but i suppose all the automation dont help i used to hump everything up and down ladders on my back and shoulders and mix plaster by hand now they use elictric hoists to load the bricks and tiles and an electric mixer and drill attachment for the plaster.

Back when i was on the hod i could most of the time out squat and deadlift most of the big bodybuilders at my local gym only the odd power lifter could beat me but not on body weight i weighed 210 then now im down to 202 :D

You get to use your body as it was designed to be used to lift arkward objects day in and day out that gets you real world strong i always found that back then when i used to brawl abit and lock up with people once the glasses came off :D its amazing how much power the human body can build couple that with a great threshold for pain and people soon take notice once you get a grip of them :blush

I remember once back then i was doing a little judo and i was a yellow belt at the time well i was so physically strong i could just man handle all the higher belts even the black belts it was only if they got in quick and caught me off balance they would throw me usually i just overpowered them with shear strength anyway one day our sinsai

insructor who was a 5th dan and about 19stone very short but very thick got on the mat with me and was feeling me out wel we got in a clinch and he tried to put a choke on me usuing my gi/uniform i so i spred my legs and went low and got him in a bear hug and was just about to lift him off his feet when he let go of my lapels and grabbed the crown jewels with one hand :D i thought WTF? and let him go he smiled leaned over and said if you think im gonna let a yellow belt throw me infront of my class your got another thing comeing a lesson learned but we both new i almost had him :D thats what construction work gets you it gets you physically strong other ways cannot.

I work in a meat packing plant now yet despite only do grip work now i dont squat or deadlift i can still manhandle stuff at work that other much bigger guys cannot i think once you build a certain base of strength through the construction work it never leaves you.

From the sounds of it, you probably had the better of him, if I was in your position and clearly stronger than him and he grabbed my crotch I would have torn the crap out of him. I don't care what belt he is, that is ridiculous.