Crushdown Workout

daveevans

Hi can anyone suggest a good workout for crushdown, ive got compression springs, iso bars ect it's more of how many reps and max force ect.

Is 1 allout maximum force enough or 100? what do all you think? cheers Dave.

Hey Dave ,

iso shouldn't really work that much differently to any other workouts in terms of reps and sets.

It is just time under tension, so if you are using long isos . Obviously you may need to use less sets and reps.

Are using a static dynamic protocol , similar to what is outlined in the bending ebook?

I would have thought less volume may work better , due to the hands being almost certainly fast twitch, and upper body ,

tending to be more fast twitch dominant. Plus hazarding a guess most guys who bend strong metals are more likely to be fast twitch dominant anyway, requiring for the most part lower reps and reps schemes.

I guess with bending reps and sets are harder to quantify though. if you move a little bit on a hard piece of metal does it count as a rep.

Edited by Tunagrip

When it comes to isos, don't think in terms of repsxsets. You want to think more of how much movement your getting or how hard your pushing and if you can feel flex. I personally don't like isos as much as actually finishing bends. I just take a tough bend and do a bunch of them. If my best bend to date was a Bastard in 20 minutes, I would do one Bastard every day. In less than 2 weeks that 20 minute bend will come down to sub 10 minutes and possibly 5 minutes. That way, you are performing isos to a lesser degree and actually moving through steel. What I described works best if you have good progression knowledge and access to pieces like Drill Rod and Stainless.

Thanks for your reply the piece of steel is 7" 303 stainless and ive got about 10 pieces all at 41/2" down to 31/4" my best so far, i dont want to keep working the same bar and neglect my kink and sweep strength, whilst trying to build my crush strength on the same bar does that make sense, when im crushing i can feel the bar flex and then stop i just dont have any more strength to push that tiny bit more its like my strength is only enough to use up all the flex in the bar any more suggestions would be appreciated cheers Dave.

Whew, I wasn't expecting a Shiny as an iso piece. What is your best bend to date? 303 has a mean spring to it. If you have access to 304, get yourself some 8" on down to 7" and bend those. 304 isn't a far jump from 303, but it's noticeable.

the thing I felt helped me the most with iso's was somebody else timing it. When my wife started timing me I realised that I wasn't holding the tension nearly as long as I thought. Set a timer or get someone to time you.

Brent

I'm a lot like Zach in that I need to feel a bar moving to get the best results. Isos are great too, but they're more of an advanced thing and it took me a long time to get used to them and make them work for me. Since your goal is the Stainless-303, I'd just cut a few longer pieces of it-maybe 8"-then cheatkink them to match the 7" pieces you have and work on moving that. It'll get you used to the same steel but in a longer length. Cut them down 1/4" or a 1/2" at most and soon you'll be moving the 7" pieces too. And then you'll go shorter.

I'm a lot like Zach in that I need to feel a bar moving to get the best results. Isos are great too, but they're more of an advanced thing and it took me a long time to get used to them and make them work for me. Since your goal is the Stainless-303, I'd just cut a few longer pieces of it-maybe 8"-then cheatkink them to match the 7" pieces you have and work on moving that. It'll get you used to the same steel but in a longer length. Cut them down 1/4" or a 1/2" at most and soon you'll be moving the 7" pieces too. And then you'll go shorter.

Starting longer to get the bend started to build strength sounds like and awesome idea! I can envision myself bending an 8" FBBC 1/4" square(don't think I could realistically even kink it though) then slowly cutting them down as I make progress.

Starting longer to get the bend started to build strength sounds like and awesome idea! I can envision myself bending an 8" FBBC 1/4" square(don't think I could realistically even kink it though) then slowly cutting them down as I make progress.

You'd be surprised John. I started back into bending a few weeks ago not being able to bend a bastard(one of the crazy 515 ones) and worked on 3/8 HRS at 8" for awhile. Eventually, after a handful of bends and several cut down pieces between 8 and 7, I managed a 7" piece. It's all about building confidence with that particular type of steel. If you can even budge a 6" G5 then you might kink the 8" 1/4 sq. You never know until you try ;)

Sorry i might have sounded all over the place trying to explain my problem, that 7" piece of 303 is my best bend to date the one i have got down to 31/4" the other 9 pieces that are about 41/4" are all the ones ive bent and got stuck in that position and cant move any further, hope this is clearer cheers Dave.

the thing I felt helped me the most with iso's was somebody else timing it. When my wife started timing me I realised that I wasn't holding the tension nearly as long as I thought. Set a timer or get someone to time you.

Brent

BINGO!

Dave

If your takeing a shiny 303 down to 3 1/2inches then your already a decent bender so congrats on that alot of people will never reach that goal.

Get yourself a big clock a kitchen type or saomething like that with a second finger on it and place it right infront of you were you bend and shoot for ten second isos these will be hard but after a while the body will adapt to them.

Those bent 303 bars you have take them and kink one down to 2 3/4 another to 2 1/2 another to 2/1/4 etc and start off with the

2 3/4inch one and hit the 10 second isos on this till its under 2inches if need be carry it around with you with a set of wraps or crushdown pads then throughout the day just hit on it this makes the mind muscle link stronger and gets the body and mind used to attacking a bar at any moment and not just when a workout is sheduled.

Dave

If your takeing a shiny 303 down to 3 1/2inches then your already a decent bender so congrats on that alot of people will never reach that goal.

Get yourself a big clock a kitchen type or saomething like that with a second finger on it and place it right infront of you were you bend and shoot for ten second isos these will be hard but after a while the body will adapt to them.

Those bent 303 bars you have take them and kink one down to 2 3/4 another to 2 1/2 another to 2/1/4 etc and start off with the

2 3/4inch one and hit the 10 second isos on this till its under 2inches if need be carry it around with you with a set of wraps or crushdown pads then throughout the day just hit on it this makes the mind muscle link stronger and gets the body and mind used to attacking a bar at any moment and not just when a workout is sheduled.

Hell yeah! :rock My favorite crushdown workouts are as simple as carrying around a piece that I've got a shot at finishing off. Just that piece, maybe another and some crush pads. Slip them in my pockets and I'm ready to kick some steel ass anytime during the day. Don't do those very much anymore, mainly because I work in an office now and I'd probably get reported for scaring people too much.

Cheers guys off to Argos right now to get me a clock, and will do what you suggest Gazza with the other bars ect thanks once again everyone.