Hit my last pr in the dl for a while!

Guest Jeff0

...Because I bought a 3'9" length of 2 3/8" pipe to slide over my DL barbell, and it ain't coming off until I can pull 344 (2 tid's) overhand ! :hehe

Seriously though - would a 344 overhand 2-hander translate directly to picking up the inch?  I saw your 500 overhand with a 2inch bar, Chris.  Does the inch give you trouble?

CHRIS give the INCH trouble! :D + I would keep going with the dl unless grip is a problem. I wouldn't hold back with that just because of grip. Good job though, I think I'll be there in a few months.

PS what does tid mean?

Are you just training with the 2 3/8'' barbell in order to be able to lift twice the weight of an Inch dumbbell, or are you also training with a thick handled dumbbell?

JeffO,

A parallel question would be: Does a thick bar,

two handed deadlift of 344 lbs translate into the

ability to deadlift two Inch replicas at the same

time? (same amount of weight in each hand, which

totals 344). I assume you mean a thick handled,

revolving bar deadlift?

To both questions, no.

The few here who have managed to deadlift an Inch

have indicated 40 or more lbs were needed on a

practice dumbell handle before they could manage the

Inch, so no doubt the same logic applies to two

handed efforts- which guessing- would mean a thick

bar deadlift circa of about 424?

But does anyone here own both an Inch replica and an Inch loadable? A solid non rotating bell should be easier than a rotating one. If not why is it so hard to lift a heavy weight with a Rolling thunder handle? Maybe John Woods or Chris James can answer this? I have rigged my own homemade Inch so that the handle does not revolve. and to me this has made things easier.

Nice deadlift was that also with an overhand grip or alternating??

I haven't managed to lift more then 425 a few years ago and I'm currently stuck on 405lb with an alternating grip on a typical oly bar.  

Jon@han

My express purpose is to be able to lift two Inches at once, and buying a pipe seemed much cheaper than buying a couple dedicated loadable dumbells and modifying them.  

I was going to ease off on the dl anyway, Nathan.  My current long-term strength goal is 400/500/600.  I'm within a year of the last two, but the '400' part is killing me.  I'm 5'11" 185 with very long arms, and it's taken me 14 months just to reach 280.  I figure if I focus on grip work and my benching for the next year, maybe I can catch it up and make a push for the full goal the year after.  

When the mad money fund recovers a bit I'm going to buy a replica to put in my living room for the same reason I bought all three grippers at once -- if I don't pick the thing up I'll have wasted my money, and I am a tightwad. :D

Let me echo OldGuy's question - who has both a loadable and replica?  It puzzles me that the solid bell is tougher than a rotating-handled version.  Maybe because of the shape? (inability to wedge one's hand against the sloping sides of the replica vs the straight sides of a loadable?)

I made my Inch loadable for less than $10. It is true that if you wedge your hand and wrist against the inside plate and lift the weight backend up first it is easier. You do not need to lift it this way. It can be lifted cleanly and straight.

I have a 2-3/8" practice bar-but the gripping width area

is about 6". I also have an Inch 152, an Inch 172, and a

Millennium bell which weighs approx 230-232.

Barbender and Nathan Say explained in some former posts

about the physics involved- why a rotating bell is

easier than a fixed bell. I am not qualified to comment

on that, though I certainly agree.

If the hand is wide enough so that it must be wedged

(not Wedgewooded) between the spheres, then the

inclination of the Inch to rotate can be counteracted.

This is all theory to me because so far I have managed to

get only the practice handle off the floor. :blush