Pinched Nerve

Blackdog

Guys,

I have had a pinched nerve, at least this is what the chiropractor thinks at the moment, for three weeks now. The pain goes from my upper right back, through upper right neck, down my arm and into my middle finger. I can feel the line at times. Started getting into serious Bikram Yoga, which you do at 110 degrees. The muscles are relaxing in the upper back and I think it is getting better, pain only travels down to elbow now. It's just taking time....which I hate. I feel the pain the most when I am sitting.

Never had this before and was wondering if nerve pain takes a while to heal? Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks

Bryce

I had one in my hand so it was much less serious. But at specific exercises like bending it took about 2 months to fully heal. I'd say take your time, better that then to permanently damage your nerves. It may be shorter or longer then my time but just be careful dude.

I had one in my hand so it was much less serious. But at specific exercises like bending it took about 2 months to fully heal. I'd say take your time, better that then to permanently damage your nerves. It may be shorter or longer then my time but just be careful dude.

Have you heard of permenant damage to nerves? I am still grippping at the moment but nothing else except hatha yoga to fix it up.

Have you heard of permenant damage to nerves? I am still grippping at the moment but nothing else except hatha yoga to fix it up.

I'm not an expert on this so I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure you can destroy a nerve permanently with too much abuse. Hopefully someone more intelligent than I can chime in here :D

I'm not an expert on this so I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure you can destroy a nerve permanently with too much abuse. Hopefully someone more intelligent than I can chime in here :D

Thanks for chimming in so quickly though. It is my main focus at the moment. I do feel it's subtly getting better. I think I have a lot of muscle in my upper back that somehow I did something with Kettlebells or even throwing this stick in the ocean for my dog, not sure how this came about. My theory is I loosen up this upper back and the pain will slowly release.

Thanks for chimming in so quickly though. It is my main focus at the moment. I do feel it's subtly getting better. I think I have a lot of muscle in my upper back that somehow I did something with Kettlebells or even throwing this stick in the ocean for my dog, not sure how this came about. My theory is I loosen up this upper back and the pain will slowly release.

No problem. I'm not sure if the back nerve would heal faster or slower then hand. There's obviously more muscle mass there and I'm not sure if that would help to cushion the nerve or hurt it. But be sure and keep everyone updated on your recovery and hopefully you heal quickly!!

Guys,

I have had a pinched nerve, at least this is what the chiropractor thinks at the moment, for three weeks now. The pain goes from my upper right back, through upper right neck, down my arm and into my middle finger. I can feel the line at times. Started getting into serious Bikram Yoga, which you do at 110 degrees. The muscles are relaxing in the upper back and I think it is getting better, pain only travels down to elbow now. It's just taking time....which I hate. I feel the pain the most when I am sitting.

Never had this before and was wondering if nerve pain takes a while to heal? Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks

Bryce

Did you do x rays or an mri to make sure nothing is going on in the spine? If the nerve is just trapped somewhere between muscle you may be able to floss it and get some relief, ask your chiro if knows anything about nerve flossing or knows anyone that does. A lot of the upper back, neck, arm nerve stuff I have seen has been do to forward head and shoulder posture. Basically the front stuff is to tight for the back stuff and it pulls things out of position. Keep and eye on posture and maybe try some mid to upper back(t-spine) extension moves. Hope this helps, nerve pain sucks.

Did you do x rays or an mri to make sure nothing is going on in the spine? If the nerve is just trapped somewhere between muscle you may be able to floss it and get some relief, ask your chiro if knows anything about nerve flossing or knows anyone that does. A lot of the upper back, neck, arm nerve stuff I have seen has been do to forward head and shoulder posture. Basically the front stuff is to tight for the back stuff and it pulls things out of position. Keep and eye on posture and maybe try some mid to upper back(t-spine) extension moves. Hope this helps, nerve pain sucks.

Thanks. I am pretty sure it's not a spine thing. I will check into this nerve flossing thing. Carl, have you had nerve pain before? If so how long did it take to subside?

I've never had it, but I train out of the basement of a chiro office so I've seen and worked with plenty of people that have. If nothing is going on in the spine then it may be as simple as relieving the pressure from the nerve. That's why the nerve floss works so well. From my understanding, and I'm no expert, the nerves can get "stuck" on the muscle creating pressure on the nerve, therefore creating pain and numbness. The floss is used to break them free and let them move as they need. From what I've seen, sometimes one session of flossing works and sometimes it takes a bit longer. My guess would be that with the ones that take a bit longer some type of repetative motion or posture is recreating the stick. That's why I said to really pay attention to posture and balance from body part to body part. It sounds like the yoga class is helping and if it's a good one the instructor will cue posture and position very strictly, which will help balance imbalances and strengthen you in a nuetral posture.

Bryce: In my oppinion u need massage therapy first to relax all the muscles in your upper back and neck ( tui na/chinease massage) works here. I believe u have one bone in your neck that is making to much pressure into your nerve.(c1 c2 ... c7 , one of them its VERY close to the other)

Do u have any type of headache?

Bryce: In my oppinion u need massage therapy first to relax all the muscles in your upper back and neck ( tui na/chinease massage) works here. I believe u have one bone in your neck that is making to much pressure into your nerve.(c1 c2 ... c7 , one of them its VERY close to the other)

You have good intuition! I am going to have massage therapy tommorrow for the first time in years. I have no headache. Thanks

You have good intuition! I am going to have massage therapy tommorrow for the first time in years. I have no headache. Thanks

As long as you're working with the Yoga stuff, you might consider back bridges, gradually moving into a deeper bridge as you loosen up. Furey's site has a fairly decent picture of a bridge, in any case.

As long as you're working with the Yoga stuff, you might consider back bridges, gradually moving into a deeper bridge as you loosen up. Furey's site has a fairly decent picture of a bridge, in any case.

Thanks man