Relative Strength Of St. Croix Forge Lite Shoes

Brad Manion

Today, I took my second SCF-Lite (non-rimmed) shoe, a #3, to about 100 degrees of damage. Unlike when I did the same damage to a SCF-Lite #2 in about a minute nearly 2 weeks ago, this one took nearly 20 minutes and a ton of hits to accomplish. I didn't help myself by doing this the day after lots of pressing and shrug work, and also by being not 100% healed from last week's shoe bending. But, it was a mental PR for me, so I guess I can build on that for the next session.

I started by taking a SCF-Polo#2 to 180 degrees pretty quick, and followed that up with a SCF-Lite Rim #2, which I took to 135 degrees. While that effort was fairly quick, it was nowhere as fast as last week's effort with the same shoe, which I took to 180 degrees.

Now, I have found the SCF-Lite Rim shoes to be just tougher than a DC2, yet far below the SCF-Lite non-rims. How big a difference in toughness is there, in anybody's estimation? Also, would I be doing myself a disservice by trying the SCF-Plain Rims, or are they even tougher than the SCF-Lite non-rims? How do the the SCF-Lite rims stack up to the SCF-Plain rims?

Also, how long do you who bend the tougher shoes rest between bending sessions? I ask because I feel that as long as I am healed, I can quickly take down something in the DC2/SCF-Lite Rim range to 135-180 degrees of damage, and not feel much pain during the bend. However, going up to the next step, the SCF-Lite non rim, hurt like absolute hell and I seemed to be nearly unable to find a spot on my leg that wasn't bruised too much to start the push. I am also considering a more minimal warmup, say a few Ulra-Lite#1 or #2s, maybe a single UltraLite and a Polo before taking on the SCF-Lite non rim.

I welcome any and all advice on this as I want that Kerckhaert #5 draft shoe resting on the desk in my bedroom to quit mocking me.

Well, I'm confused as to what the difference is between a Lite-rim and a Plain-rim. I always considered a non-rimmed shoe a plain shoe. Unless you are referring to the Regular shoes. The Regulars are TOUGH buggers and a BIG jump from even the SCF Lite Plains. When I was heavier into shoes, the Regular Rimmed #2's were still a full limit bend. The difference between the Lite rimmed and Lite plains is a decent jump and larger than you might expect. Figure the difference between a Bastard and a Huge Bastard. The # size of the shoe didn't seem to matter as much as where the shoe bent. I think the rimmed shoes have a shallower valley thickness than the non-rims and are easier to twist because of it. The Plains are more like twisting a straight rectangluar bar. All this is to say that this shoe is tougher than the #3 shoe in this pic.

Oh yeah, I used to bend maybe twice a week tops. It seems that I haven't lost the groove yet and that getting stronger overall is better than simply twisting bigger shoes. Though twisting bigger shoes still makes you better and is more fun :happy

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Thanks for the input Zach. To answer your question, when I say "plain", it means "Regular". Depending on my level of healing and whether or not I have a demo on Saturday, Sept. 20, I will give a shot at taking on a SCF-Regular Rim, unless of course, others advise me that it is definitely tougher than a SCF-Lite (non rim) of the same size.

Thanks for the input Zach. To answer your question, when I say "plain", it means "Regular". Depending on my level of healing and whether or not I have a demo on Saturday, Sept. 20, I will give a shot at taking on a SCF-Regular Rim, unless of course, others advise me that it is definitely tougher than a SCF-Lite (non rim) of the same size.

Cool. I wont tell you not to try one, but I will say that a #2 Regular Rim is MUCH tougher than a #2 Lite Rim. I've bent a few of both and recently hearted the #2 Lite Rim. No way could I do that with the Regular, at least I wouldn't think so.