Let's roll!

Bill Piche

Here's an update on me (I've been focusing on trying to close my Silver Elite for months):

I've been working with the Gripantor from PDA and on Saturday was able to keep 160lbs from opening my hand using the BTR handle.  Kept 130 shut for what must have been 10 seconds (I let it out myself).

Down to being able to hold my Silver Elite at 1/8 but that last 1/8 is a monster for some reason.  It has me stumped.

Anyone who is within a 1/4" of their goal gripper start a new thread on this board and post with your current routine. I'll try and help if I can. :)

I am curious as to how well people who use a #4 in their training are doing? I have not commited myself to training to closing it yet, but just use it to gain strength for the #3. Has anyone else got it down to 1/2''?

Guest Mikael Siversson

Sounds like your strength is comming along well, Bill. Myself I managed for the first time yesterday to close a #3 with my lefty, much thanks to the 6-7 days a week program you suggested us to try many months ago. Thanks.

Wannagrip was one of the first to preach low volume and high frequency with grip training. He continues to train that way as do I. It has also worked for me with my Inch style 2 3/8'' loadable that I lift once per day. I would advise new guys to at least start with this kind of training to see what it has to offer before trying other approaches.

I said it and will repeat it : everyday training helps to progress like nothing else. i didn't believe it at first but now, I won't get back to once, twice or three times a week training.

I take one rest day and it is always wednesday. Every other day, I have a battle with my grippers and go one 12-15 brutal singles.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Oldguy- I am doing 5 sets of negitives with my #4, But it's not like I am keeping it closed when I am doing it. It opens to about 3/4" before I can stop it. But as far as closing it ,around an 1".

I need a little help.  I'm by no means a master crusher, so bear with me.  I'd been about 1/8" away from closing a 333 ip PDA for about 6 months.  I wasn't progressing at all.  3 times a week, every week, 10 attempts each hand with 3-5 minutes rest in between.  I finally took a 10 day layoff, and when I gave it a try, I was easily able to crush it with each hand for 2 singles.  I'm working on a #2 now, about 1/4" away with each hand.  How should I go about training for it? Maybe the 3 times a week deal for 2 months and then another 10 day layoff?  Give me some input please.

Guest Mikael Siversson

The layoff probably enabled you to close the gripper by way of maximizing your strength at that particular day. I always take a week off training before competition (Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge) to hit my peak. In the following days (up to a couple of weeks) my strength is always down, so it is a short term peak so to speak. I have seen the same with other guys too.

I need a little help.  I'm by no means a master crusher, so bear with me.  I'd been about 1/8" away from closing a 333 ip PDA for about 6 months.  I wasn't progressing at all.  3 times a week, every week, 10 attempts each hand with 3-5 minutes rest in between.  I finally took a 10 day layoff, and when I gave it a try, I was easily able to crush it with each hand for 2 singles.  I'm working on a #2 now, about 1/4" away with each hand.  How should I go about training for it? Maybe the 3 times a week deal for 2 months and then another 10 day layoff?  Give me some input please.

I would have back down weeks every 4-5 weeks if you are on a HARD daily routine where you have built up the volume over these 4-5 weeks.

Guest Jeff Roark

Ok. I am down to about 1/4 inch on my #3 right now. I have made the best gains ever on basically a hit and miss routine. I sometimes work the grippers 3 times a week, sometimes not at all. I have been doing things that basically go against all that I have read. I have been using extremely high rep sets, 10 sets of 1-2 reps. I sometimes feel super strong, then other days tremendously weak. I haven't used any strapholds at alll during this period, just plain old straight up reps. I was thinking that the strapholds may bring me in for the kill. I am sort of burned out on the grippers right now though. For the next 8 weeks my main grip training will be the wrist roller. Hopefully I can clear up some imbalances and when I return to the grippers I should have a good strong base to hit them and hopefully get certified.

I am afraid of everyday work due to my ability to develop CTS symptoms really fast. I think though if the amount of intensity and possible the volume is regulated well I could handle it. Can one benefit using a much lighter gripper daily? Say maybe a trainer or a walmart cheapy?

Jeff have you tried high frequency low volume? I too have carpal tunnel problems brought on by way to much computer use over a 13 year period. For me warming up with a few reps on the #1 and then one all out rep on the #3 and 4 has worked well. I do this 1 to 3 times daily. Stay away from high reps as it could well aggravate your condition. Wrist roller work has helped a great deal too. If you find your ability with the grippers lessening, take a break for a week or two. Gripper training is kind of unique as you are always trying to max out.