Which Coc Gripper Is Comparable To Crushing A Full Soda Can?

pernicus

which of the captain of crush grippers is closest to the amount of force required to crush a full soda can?

I guess that you mean, to crush an unopened can with one hand, the same style as crushing a gripper?

What I know of, no one has done this feat. But I have seen people puncture a can with just a thumb.

It would depend on the style you use to crush a can:

- Chest crush (which is not a grip feat IMO) would not require that much from grip

- Crushing it with fingers only, with relatively straight arms infront, requires more from grip (Kinney style). I was closing a BB Elite (3.3) with my right hand and #3 with my left hand when I first succeeded with this feat and it still took me about 10 all-out squeezes.

- Chest crush (which is not a grip feat IMO) would not require that much from grip

- Crushing it with fingers only, with relatively straight arms infront, requires more from grip (Kinney style). I was closing a BB Elite (3.3) with my right hand and #3 with my left hand when I first succeeded with this feat and it still took me about 10 all-out squeezes.

Impressive. :rock :rock

I've only done this feat as a chest crush.

I may have to start trying again. :D :D

Impressive. :rock :rock

I may have to start trying again. :D :D

Would be nice to have that on video ;)

i remember when i was about 6 yrs old a friend of my dads took a budweiser can and did it and i thought it was cool as hell...i never understood just how strong you have to be to do that

the guy had been a bricklayer for about 20 yrs

Impressive. :rock:rock

I may have to start trying again. :D:D

Thanks!

You should be more than strong enough for it, that's certain.

I may start training for this again at some point, as it would make a good video and back when I was practicing it, it certainly did it's share in developing the grip strength. I used it as a finisher after regular grip workouts. Actually it did not take too long to be able to do it, a couple of months and the can exploded in half. Like I said, it took about 10 squeezes at first, after a while less. It would certainly be cool to get the can blow up with just one all-out squeeze.

To Klesen: I will get it on video at some point. In the mean time, just look how Kinney does it on his video, as that's the way I do it too, except it takes more squeezes for me to get it. ;)

I managed to do one Kinney style in 2 or 3 squeezes when I was really training no set really hard- Mabye 7 or 8 TNS #3 reps?

Is Kinney style driving finger tips into the can? I had always heard this was impossible without doing the finger drive technique (like a potato), and then it took like 600 lbs of force or something. Did I hear completely wrong? Or am I missing something here (as usual :laugh)?

EDIT: I should look at the link before posting, so you mean two handed? Ok that makes sense. According to Brookfield, doing it with one hand in one motion requires 600lbs of force, in other words humanly impossible at this point.

Edited by vikingsrule92

I managed to do one Kinney style in 2 or 3 squeezes when I was really training no set really hard- Mabye 7 or 8 TNS #3 reps?

Is Kinney style driving finger tips into the can? I had always heard this was impossible without doing the finger drive technique (like a potato), and then it took like 600 lbs of force or something. Did I hear completely wrong? Or am I missing something here (as usual :laugh)?

EDIT: I should look at the link before posting, so you mean two handed? Ok that makes sense. According to Brookfield, doing it with one hand in one motion requires 600lbs of force, in other words humanly impossible at this point.

He claims in his gripper DVD that he is not driving his thumbs into the can. He says that this is a much easier way to bust the can. According to him, the sign that one is doing it the hard way--without perforating the can with the thumb--is the loud report.

-Rex

Yeah, two hands without driving my fingers into the can. As Aaron would say, I about popped a gasket trying.

i remember when i was about 6 yrs old a friend of my dads took a budweiser can and did it and i thought it was cool as hell...i never understood just how strong you have to be to do that

Just EXACTLY how did he do it?... :shifty

And your point is?...

He may have "cheated" his way to popping that can open - by putting his thumb through it. ;)

Is Kinney style driving finger tips into the can? I had always heard this was impossible without doing the finger drive technique (like a potato), and then it took like 600 lbs of force or something. Did I hear completely wrong? Or am I missing something here (as usual :laugh )?

Brookfield does not talk about doing it with one hand. That 600 lbs is just the estimate he says he got, when he asked Coca-Cola Company how much pressure it requires to break a full can in two.

As for not driving finger tips into the can at all, I think nobody does the can burst that way, applying the pressure evenly throughout fingers. You can make it look like so though.

Does somebody really think that it is easy if you apply pressure mostly through the fingertips of the hand that's underneath the other? :blink I'm not talking about putting the thumb through.

Just EXACTLY how did he do it?... :shifty

And your point is?...

He may have "cheated" his way to popping that can open - by putting his thumb through it. ;)

it's been a long time(15 years or so) but i don't remember him putting a second hand on it...he might have pressed it against his leg while doing it(he was sitting down) but it wouldn't shock me if he did it one handed...he was about 6' and i would guess 280-300 and one of the strongest men i've ever met...shitty that he died of skin cancer

Edited by pernicus

Wow, this is a feat that I have questioned if possible since I started with grip training, Teemu I can't wait to see a video of it.

You use gloves when doing this obviously right? Or can I try without gloves and I should be safe? I just don't want to cut my hands up or anything. I really want to practice this.

You use gloves when doing this obviously right? Or can I try without gloves and I should be safe? I just don't want to cut my hands up or anything. I really want to practice this.

Do not even think about trying this without gloves! Once the can breaks, the metal edges are sharp and will cut through the flesh. Somewhat thin leather gloves without too much padding work well for this.

Edited by Teemu I

Do not even think about trying this without gloves! Once the can breaks, the metal edges are sharp and will cut through the flesh. Somewhat thin leather gloves without too much padding work well for this.

:rock That stuff is stinkin' SHARP.

• 2 weeks later...

That's always been one of the best Kinney pictures. Does anyone remember the "Animal XsomethingX" supplement ad with him busting a can several years ago in one of the muscle rags?

Bricklayers only grab small weights(less than 1 lb) all day. Why

assume that they are strong?

They should have a decent grip(maybe close a trainer) due to abuse but I don't see

the foregiven that they could be grip kings. Most just stand on scaffolds and holler

for more brick.

Bricklayers only grab small weights(less than 1 lb) all day. Why

assume that they are strong?

They should have a decent grip(maybe close a trainer) due to abuse but I don't see

the foregiven that they could be grip kings. Most just stand on scaffolds and holler

for more brick.

i was a mason's laborer for most of my life and this is not entirely true. it varies greatly on the type of brick you're laying. i've laid hollow block mostly and this stuff toughens the skin because of the texture and i usually carry 2 at a time in each hand by pinching them together, it's not extremely heavy, but doing this for 8 hours every day has to build some kind of strength. i also helped build lots of rock walls in hawaii and THIS is where you see true strength. there are rocks that are close to 200lbs in weight that most would call a 2-3 man rock, i've seen single men hoist these rocks up and place them ever so delicately onto the wall at precisely the correct angle to fit it in.

this takes muscle endurance and strength to another level, not to mention i bet these guys must be pretty decent at atlas stones lol. i'm not saying they have huge grip strength, but it's definitely over a pound if you're doing hollow tile and/or rock walls.

also farmer's walk, because if you order the hollow blocks they bring them on skiffs in a truck and you have to move them to where the mason's want them. so you have to manually take the blocks, 1 by 1 and put them into a wheel barrow, wheel it to the spot and then stack them accordingly in a uniformed block. mixing cement by hand also toughens the hands and strengthens your grip because if you hold the shovel handle with a loose grip you will get blisters on the inside of your thumb webbing, it's better to squeeze the shovel handle so it doesn't move around in your hand as you stir.

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

Wes, you did EIGHT TNS FULL reps with the #3 in one set? You be the man.

Edited by Bonzi