Homemade grip equipment

Guest Wildcat33

Guest Wildcat33

Hey all, I'm a first time poster who recently added grip training to my workouts.  I want to make a pinch block and wrist roller to incorporate into my workout, and would appreciate any ideas to better these "designs":

The pinch block:  4x4 8" long block, sanded smooth, hole drilled in the center.  Threaded steel eyelet inserted into the hole from the bottom, washer and lock nut on top to hold it.  Rock climbing carabiner on the eyelet, attach ends of 3' length of chain to hang plates on.  I haven't decided yet on the gauge of chain to use, and whether or not it would be better to have a plate pin to hang from the chain instead of looping the chain through plates.

The wrist roller:  30" long 1" PVC pipe inserted into a pin hole of my power rack.  Small hole drilled through center of pipe, 6' of parachute cord tied into it.  Carabiner at the end of the cord?

Great board here.

- Eric

Equipment sounds nice!  My homemade roller has a clothesline running through it.  Where did you get the parachute cord?  It might be better then the clothesline I'm using.

I just bought a 7foot length of solid 2 inch diameter steel bar.  And some muffler clamps to make a thick bar (although I guess its short a few inches compared to my oly bar I should have measured before I went shopping).

Jon@han

Guest Wildcat33

My father-in-law gave me the parachute cord, not sure where he got it but I'll ask.  I haven't made the roller yet because I haven't made a final decision on the design.  From what I've read a nylon strap may work well too.  

I did make the pinch block and it turned out very good.  Trained with it for the first time last night  :D

The pinch block was made with these materials, about $12 at the local hardware store:

6" length of 3/4" water pipe

3/4" pipe wall plate

3/4" pipe cap with hole drilled in it

threaded eyelet through the hole in the cap, washer/nut on it

1' length of chain

2 carabiner clips

8" 4x4 block sanded smooth

screw type eyelet screwed into the bottom of the block.

It works great and should be able to handle heavy weight for when I get there.  You just unclip the carabiner from the top of the eyelet on top of the pin to load Oly plates.  Here's a picture of it and a calf block I made recently:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachm....=755808

One inch wide flat nylon strap works good, because it winds neatly up on itself. It can be fixed to a PVC roller by passing it through a thin slot cut in the pipe and the strap knotted inside. Wristroller work is my very favorite exercise, and the thing I do best.

old guy,

where would you get a nylon strap as you described?On the longer length/distance wrist rolls(when we stand on a block and wrist wroll in the power cage)the nylon rope does tend to cause some uneveness as we get near completion of the exercise.We also do some 'odd ball' stuff with the wrist roller and again it gets all 'gummed up and lumpy'at the end....

Tom I got it from Home Depot. It is some kind of cargo hold down strap. It is colored blue. It came with some useful hooks too, The strap I cut down to size and made a few things from it.

I did the same!  I cut some straps for strap holds with something very similar.