Public Thanks To Jedd And Smitty

Bob Lipinski

I have been waiting quite a while for a true, titled National Championship. Jedd and Smitty have done it right, with a great competitive event this year.

And thanks for my Diesel Crew Tshirt!

Indeed! I don't think it could've been run any smoother... well. Now that I think about it, you might want to ask the lifter for their next weight instead of going by a list despite the speed with which the events passed by. Not having a 160lb attempt really threw off at least 3 guys including myself, I could've gotten 160+ for sure and McCann and Paul could've also. You also had us mortals worried sick when you went from 253 to 304. We all looked at eachother likt :blink That's why we made a fuss about getting a 273 attempt in there. Other than that, it was a fantastically run contest and Andrew's timing clock for the medley and bending was AWESOME.

it was a very well run comp and a good template for the ones that follow. Is it too soon to start thinking about the 09 nationals?

Brent

Indeed! I don't think it could've been run any smoother... well. Now that I think about it, you might want to ask the lifter for their next weight instead of going by a list despite the speed with which the events passed by. Not having a 160lb attempt really threw off at least 3 guys including myself, I could've gotten 160+ for sure and McCann and Paul could've also. You also had us mortals worried sick when you went from 253 to 304. We all looked at eachother likt :blink That's why we made a fuss about getting a 273 attempt in there. Other than that, it was a fantastically run contest and Andrew's timing clock for the medley and bending was AWESOME.

nobody else seemed to have a problem with those jumps. i guess we're just pussies and need to train extra hard for next year. lets start by setting goals that'll allow us to keep up with everyone else's projected progress.

next year at ggc, i will be lifting----

760 axle

428 2hp

all medley items, including my super inch db (soon to be invented) r+p only

i will also mms the #5 (also soon to be invented) and reverse bend some 1/2" stainless (7480 lbs).

training towards these goals that are nothing but realistic and entirely achievable should help us hold our own against jedd and them next year. maybe we'll even get into the top 5! :rock :rock :rock

best of luck in your training, zack! i look forward to competing against a much larger and scarier version of you next year!

and yes, thanks to diesel crew and all their sponsors for an excellent competition. top notch stuff.

Thank you Jedd and Smitty you guys are awesome!!!

Brendan

Thanks Bob. Couldn't have done it without the support I have gotten from you, Eric, Climber, Zach and others.

Understand that I wasn't trying to screw anyone over with the weights that were chosen. I had 5 and 10 pound jumps through the spots that I thought most people were at. I didn't think it would be a problem to skip 160 when the qualifying pinch weight was 170. Also, didn't think it would be a problem when the axle qualifying lift was 290...

A lot of stuff looks good on paper of course, and loses its luster when you see how it all plays out on the platform.

Thanks Bob. Couldn't have done it without the support I have gotten from you, Eric, Climber, Zach and others.

Understand that I wasn't trying to screw anyone over with the weights that were chosen. I had 5 and 10 pound jumps through the spots that I thought most people were at. I didn't think it would be a problem to skip 160 when the qualifying pinch weight was 170. Also, didn't think it would be a problem when the axle qualifying lift was 290...

A lot of stuff looks good on paper of course, and loses its luster when you see how it all plays out on the platform.

Yeah, I totally understand. It was by total happenstance that there was a small group of us who didn't qualify with either of those lifts :blush On any other day, it would've worked out just fine. Everything was run very quick and very smoothly. You two did a fantastic job putting everything together(Jedd did a fantastic job ;) ) and should be heavily commended :rock :rock :rock :rock

Paul, I'm still laughing at you tying me in the 2HP! WORK THOSE THUMBS!!!

Yeah, thanks to Jedd and Smitty. Jedd was kind enough to invite me over to his home the day before the contest and feed me (thanks to Delraine for cooking). Smitty seemed like a really aboveboard kind of guy, the sort who'd look you in the eye and tell it to you straight. A high quality contest put on by some first-rate guys.

Proposed theme song for GGC '09 :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIH0GROsw5Q

-Rex

As a promoter, I get the weight jump problem. It is a very good idea to keep the time down, but it might get a few people annoyed. Oh well! Every time you do one of these things you learn a little.

Unfortunately (or not, depends how you look at it!) I have to do things to keep the contest time down at the Michigan grip contest.

i think that 10 pound jumps to a certain point and then start the 5 pounds would make a big difference. it takes quite a while to change the weight, make sure everyone has there attempts, and make sure everyone gets a warmup. I don't know that you need to make bigger jumps than that early on.

at GGC every one seemed to be paying attention and keeping it moving. At highland games that usually the biggest probem, people having to be told to throw.

I think that early on smitty gave the order and made sure we got it. that really helps keep things moving.

brent

As a promoter, I get the weight jump problem. It is a very good idea to keep the time down, but it might get a few people annoyed. Oh well! Every time you do one of these things you learn a little.

Unfortunately (or not, depends how you look at it!) I have to do things to keep the contest time down at the Michigan grip contest.

Thanks a million to Jedd and Delraine for allowing me in their home - I had a blast! they always made sure that I was full and comfortable and treated me like a king - if you guys ever needed a place to stay in Texas, your welcome in my home!

Thanks Smitty for a well organized comp and good choice on the beer - I forgive you for my age comment :laugh