Remounted My First Gripper

Magnus

After reading Matt's topic, I got the urge to try my hand at remounting a gripper. I decided to use my hg100 as my guinea pig, since it was way too easy for any practical use, had uneven handles, and had a stupid-high mount - about 1/2", with the non dog-leg being a little worse (yeah, Matt, you though your 300 was bad :D). I drilled and reset both handles to 0.0035", but I didn't epoxy them yet, because I'm going to tinker around with them a little more :shifty The handles still fit nice and snug w/o the epoxy, though, so I was able to test it out. Didn't rgc it yet, but it's definitely better(cal'd @ 38 before, now feels like about ~45). So, here are the before and after pics of my first remount:

Before

After

I think I'll also remount my 2.17-hg250. Mount's pretty darn high on that one, too.

I'd have said your re-mount is beyond flush, the top of the handles sit above the spring base.

You could see a definite mismatch in the original mount though! :trout

Nice. I didn't get this when someone mentioned it before either...What do you mean you "drilled" the handles? I couldn't think of how drilling the handle would break it loose from the epoxy.

That original mount is gross.

Drilling isn't for getting the handle off. Once you get the handle off, you drill the hole for the spring deeper so the spring can be mounted deeper.

Nice. I didn't get this when someone mentioned it before either...What do you mean you "drilled" the handles? I couldn't think of how drilling the handle would break it loose from the epoxy.

That original mount is gross.

Now, to break it loose, I heated the handles evenly with a heat gun (avoiding the spring), then wrapped them in a piece of leather and mounted them horizontally in the vice, stuck a rod through the spring, then evenly twisted it back and forth until the epoxy crumbled and the spring pulled out.

Btw, I remounted my 2.17 250, too:

Before

After

As you can see, I really buried the spring on this one. It's mounted at about 1/64, but still closes fine and all. It really made a huge difference! Can't wait to rgc it and see where it's at now. The interesting thing about this one is that I found, for some crazy reason, thread-lock in the bottom of the one handle :blink Go figure...

I'd have said your re-mount is beyond flush, the top of the handles sit above the spring base.

You could see a definite mismatch in the original mount though! :trout

This is how you measure the mount: http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/images/4019.jpg

...and might be -1/64 or more!

Ah, I see what you mean now, Mike. I was using a feeler gauge to measure between the spring and the corner of the handle. Seems I'm running a negative in both directions! Well, Warren did it too :cool:D

Ah, I see what you mean now, Mike. I was using a feeler gauge to measure between the spring and the corner of the handle. Seems I'm running a negative in both directions! Well, Warren did it too :cool:D

That's a deep mount! :blink

Okay, I calibrated them now, so here's the improvements it made:

Hard HG250:

Before, 3/8 mount - 2.17/116.5lb

After, -1/16 mount - 2.38/125lblb

Easy HG100

Before, 1/2in+ mount - 38lb

After, - 1/16 mount - 48lb

Looks like a great improvement. What epoxy will you use?

I used 5-minute epoxy.

MAKE A MINI GRIPPER! cut the handles 3/8 (1/4 if you have big hands) . and then file them :). I bet it gets close to a #3. not bad.