Mms?

brownab

My overall hand strength is greatly improved since I seriously started practicing MMS

I always find it funny when people think that :laugh Actually I'm lying and it erks me to no end but I wont get into that.

No strength or technique huh? I always find it funny, then, that the guys closing the biggest grippers MMS ALWAYS have a bigger TNS/NS close. Curious that, isn't it?

Using the MMS set FORCES YOU TO WORK THE HARDEST PART OF THE GRIPPER. Work your parallel sets hard and throw in the occasional TNS close just to get a feel for the technique and you'll do wonders for your TNS.

Setting a gripper is effectively dynamic thumb work and power setting will work it even harder.

So MMS closing a gripper will actually have a more holistic training effect on your hands than you would at first be led to believe! ;)

I always find it funny when people think that :laugh Actually I'm lying and it erks me to no end but I wont get into that.

No strength or technique huh? I always find it funny, then, that the guys closing the biggest grippers MMS ALWAYS have a bigger TNS/NS close. Curious that, isn't it?

Using the MMS set FORCES YOU TO WORK THE HARDEST PART OF THE GRIPPER. Work your parallel sets hard and throw in the occasional TNS close just to get a feel for the technique and you'll do wonders for your TNS.

ZACH, CALM down, I think he meant his technique sucks so much that he can't get any power into the close!! He's not insulting or taking shots at MMS guys, otherwise he wouldn't have asked how to set that way.

The Diesel Crew video is good, but I always have recommended Eaton's video more highly, I find it easier to understand.

Plus the man has magic hands :laugh hahahaha

i just don't get how you have enough strength to close it with your other hand without it actually being in your other hand? that's why i've never done anything but ns and tns, because it just feels more natural. i think i will have to use hose clamps to work the MMS style gap so i can consistently hit the hardest part of the gripper. as i've told you guys before that i cannot rep #3 but can hold it closed for a while, i think this is due to my lack of MMS or any kind of set training.

every time i try the Eaton one the dogleg just slides back to where i usually have it when i ns or tns.

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

ZACH, CALM down, I think he meant his technique sucks so much that he can't get any power into the close!! He's not insulting or taking shots at MMS guys, otherwise he wouldn't have asked how to set that way.

Yeah, if that was the case then I apologize :blush If not, I stand behind my statements. I took the last sentence he wrote as a generalization and not referring to himself.

I realize the benefits of MMS, and I'm trying to learn to do it correctly, but right now if I want close a gripper from parallel I have to choke it.

Edited by brownab

i just don't get how you have enough strength to close it with your other hand without it actually being in your other hand? that's why i've never done anything but ns and tns, because it just feels more natural. i think i will have to use hose clamps to work the MMS style gap so i can consistently hit the hardest part of the gripper. as i've told you guys before that i cannot rep #3 but can hold it closed for a while, i think this is due to my lack of MMS or any kind of set training.

every time i try the Eaton one the dogleg just slides back to where i usually have it when i ns or tns.

1. Use chalk

2. Deploy your thumb on the closing hand, use it actively and try to reach your middle finger with it

3. Press heavily on the handle with your other thumb

3. Extend the wrist so your palm forms a wall against the handle

Following these guidelines (each of these are as important as the others) the handle will not slide back. With all respect towards others who have made videos about setting grippers, maybe I will make a video of how it is done as well to emphasize these points.

Teemu hit most of the main points. I wouldn't mind seeing a setting video by him though (he's way beyond me in gripper progress). I haven't yet made it to MMS a #3 but I did do up a setting video a few months ago that might help. I went over his points in my video and a few other little things. The more instructional videos we have the better.

Gumpster,

Just watched the video and handle in the palm needs to be more towards the base of the fingers IMO for max leverage...

That's right. The handle also seems to slide back quite a bit during the close. You could also extend your wrist more.

The same thing can be seen on Dieselcrew video.

In Dieselcrew's video, Smitty talks about the active use of thumb, but actually doesn't deploy it fully on the close. See 2:06 on video. You are not supposed to lift your thumb up like that, it allows the gripper handle to move back.

No offence Gumpster & Smitty.

I will make a video if I can get the sound recording to work.

1. Use chalk

2. Deploy your thumb on the closing hand, use it actively and try to reach your middle finger with it

3. Press heavily on the handle with your other thumb

3. Extend the wrist so your palm forms a wall against the handle

Following these guidelines (each of these are as important as the others) the handle will not slide back. With all respect towards others who have made videos about setting grippers, maybe I will make a video of how it is done as well to emphasize these points.

thank you for this valuable advice teemu!