Records up for grabs?

Nathan Say

I looked through a copy of the 2003 Guinness book & saw 2 pages of strength stuff, among all the stupid, obscure records people are setting today. (btw I probably have the world record for the longest time lived in Victoria BC by a guy named Nathan Say who was born in Nanaimo & went to blah blah elementary school & chased the girls around the playground trying to kiss them... etc so why am I not in the Guinness book yet) One grip-related thing was bending a 6m bar that's 12mm thick so it will fit into a 50x70x20mm Samsonite suitcase. I wonder if it matters if it's Samsonite or not. The guy with the record is called Thomas Bleiker from Germany & he bent his bar 23 times in 44 sec. His name isn't John Brookfield, Tom Black or Pat Povliatis (sp??) from the USA, so I bet someone could cut that record in half easily. Another guy called Barry Anderson deadlifted 197.5lbs with his pinkie, somehow that seems low. Are these records at all? Did someone do better than any of those a long time ago & nobody thought to tell the Guinness people or what?

I am a little confused about the record.  Did he bend the 6mx12mm bar  23 times in 44 seconds to put it in the suitcase?  If so, that's very fast. Also, not mentioning whether it's hot rolled or cold shows who ever reported and researched the feat for the book wasn't very careful.   I think that I could bend a hot rolled bar of that size and length to fit into a suitcase, but certainly not in 44 seconds.  I also don't think Brookfield could do it in half the time.  I don't even think 22 seconds is enough time to re-grip the bar the couple of times it would take to get ready for the bend.

Re Barry Anderson etc. There are many, many world records up for grabs in the IAWA and USAWA. You can have one in an age catagory, weight and age and overall. I'd suspect that the best to have is a record regardless of weight age and or height. Not to take anyhting away from Barry but another mag publisher - Mark Shaw - holds several WR in his age and weight catagory although I think Barry is both older and no heavier.

I'm suprised that the Grippage regulars don't rate a mention. Perhaps we should apply...

Tom Black,

I was reading a few days ago an article by Brookfield

in Milo (Sept. 2001) on bending, well actually scrolling.

He states that he scrolled a 21 ft. piece of square bar

x 1/2 inches thick, tight enough to put in a gym bag.

He states that the 1/2 sq. bar is about equal in strength

terms to a 5/8 round bar.

He did this in 20 minutes. Brookfield says it took this much

time because of the tightness of the coils in order to fit

in a gym bag.

So, now given the measurements from Nates' post, the guy

bent a bar that is 19.6 ft x .47244 inches thick in 44 sec.

Hmmm.. I think I am in agreement with J. Roarks' comment

It was 44 seconds for something, I might be wrong about 44 seconds for this suitcase thing 23 bends in 44 seconds is less than 2 sec for each one....I look again tonight. Maybe I'm not stout when it comes to reliability.

Guest woody36

Nathan,

Are you sure he didn't "visit" 6 bars, drink 23 pints of

Guinness in 44 seconds and end up sleeping in a suitcase?

cos that happened to me once  :D

I think 12mm is a  1/2in. if the guy did it in 44sec. he is GOOD.

I have done 1/2in by 4ft. scrolled 3 times around in about 90sec. the first bend is with my teeth.I was one of the first people 2 c the  long 1/2in square bar done by John Brookfield

it was huge just a pile af twisted metal he asked me if I wanted 2 buy it.

ok he did it in 44 sec + here's some other stuff that might be sort of grip related

-longest trying pan spin on 1 finger = 14min

- largest hands on a living person 10.59" (26.9cm) from wrist to tip of middle finger

- largest hands ever 10.75" (32.3cm) that's Robert Wadlow

I'd swear I read that Niccolo Paganini had huge hands & that's why he could play like he did. I don't remember how huge his hands were though.