Making A Hub

brownab

One really easy way is to cut a section of iron pipe and drill a hole through it for a bolt. Bend the bolt a little so that the weight doesn't slide back and forth. Instant HUB.

Hockey puck, JB weld, eye bolt. I think it explains itself, the only bad thing is that it has grip on the outside so it's a little easier then metal, plus the fact it's rubber. It's quicker but not as nice.

I made one from a 3" PVC end cap, two s-hooks, and a short section of chain. I'd really like to have 3" and 4" iron end caps, but my Lowe's doesn't sell them that big.

Yeah, I can weld. Also, how long should I make the section of pipe so that it recreates a 45lbs plate's hub?

Edited by brownab

Yeah, I can weld. Also, how long should I make the section of pipe so that it recreates a 45lbs plate's hub?

There's nothing near a standard here, but I'd say about 1.25" would be a good idea.

One really easy way is to cut a section of iron pipe and drill a hole through it for a bolt. Bend the bolt a little so that the weight doesn't slide back and forth. Instant HUB.

Why not just put a nut on the end? ;)

Why not just put a nut on the end? ;)

I meant secure the bolt with a nut, but if it's just a straight bolt, when you pick up the weight the clip or hook or whatever you're using will likely slide to one end of the bolt if you've tilted the hub at all. Bending the bolt gives it a place in the center to settle and stay.

I went to Lowe's and found some sort of pipe fitting that is almost a perfect replica of a 25lbs plate's hub. I then got some rope to attach weight with. This should work nicely.