Advance The Sport Of Aw

Matt Brouse

I was wondering the whole time of the olympics, why Armwrestling isn't there. It has all the potential it needs. It is much better than Ping-Pong and Badminton. :)

It seems like the less muscle you use in a sport the less interest you received from the view public. Ok so we use a lot more muscle than just the arm, but the public don't know that. Ex: grip work use only the hand and forearm. Even the grippler's family is not interested. Up from the hand to the whole arm such as in AW, more people watch. BUt it nothing compare to sport that people use the whole body. NFL, MLB, MLC, NBA...most sport use the whole body and mind to play or participate. Even ballroom dancing was watched by more people than AW. Watching 2 men battle in AW the public viewing is a lot of times obscured by the refs, and the comnbatants themselves.

It takes too long to set up for a mtach that last often in 1 seconds. Personally I don't like when tall big guy leaning all the way to the other side of the table. That takes viewing away. Don't you think if the match last longer it draws more interest from public. Listen to match that lasted more than 10 seconds, people were screaming and hollering. 1 second match's over so fast that, after the long set up public doesn't know what happened. Do you think this will stir interest? I think not. This sport is not going any where because the public don't understand and therefore don't care, therefore no money from sponsors and paying public.

I think the rule must be change so that the match would last a bit longer. I never like any macth lasts less than 1 second. I want to see the fight. Over at NW forum there are too much bickering there. IMO the sport is least understood by public and it's lack of exposure (how can thing lasts only a second get much exposure?) AWer themselves must some how let public know their hard work. AWers and among strongest people on earth. They can move ridiculus amount of weight with their arm, yet who knows? How many secret hard core AW exercises do you see on youtube? compare to bodybuilding? for that matter compare to grip works? kettle bell? ballromm dancing?

Public must see how a medium AW champ can curl so much weight, it's unbelieveable if they know it. How a small AW champ can "break" the arm of another heavy weight sport guy if they are to AW. How many people who are not AWer can wrist curl more than 200 lbs dumbell one arm? many of pro AWer can do that easily but who knows? public in general is fansinate with how strong an indivisual is if they see one. But when asked about AWing, they don't know, saying it's all technics?

Why not for the shake of AW, in a public showing, invite some big strongmen and pit them agaisnt smaller AWer. NOt only in actual AWing but also in curling, wrist curl. NOt to put down big strongman but it 's educate pubic about us, and what we can do....An article in National Geo" would be nice, down to the science of it.

Dress code? I know a bowling guy dress if I see one. How about something to indentify us if the public see us? looking slopy and raggedy won't help. We have to go beyond the grass root of AWing in a bar w/o an indentity. We can only blame ourselves right now.

Shot-put hardly lasts over a second, and has some set-up. What about archery? It doesn't even take a second for the arrow to stick in the target. Same goes for rifle shooting. Diving, only takes like 2 seconds. Just don't show the set-up on tv if it takes to long. As for refs and armwrestlers bodies obscuring the view, I rarely see this on armtv. You just need a good camera man who can move around, or 2 camera's. Gary Roberts can do it, so it is possible.

Anyways, if you have a facebook check this out:

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71226925443

Shot-put hardly lasts over a second, and has some set-up. What about archery? It doesn't even take a second for the arrow to stick in the target. Same goes for rifle shooting. Diving, only takes like 2 seconds. Just don't show the set-up on tv if it takes to long. As for refs and armwrestlers bodies obscuring the view, I rarely see this on armtv. You just need a good camera man who can move around, or 2 camera's. Gary Roberts can do it, so it is possible.

Thanks for the link JH.

Since you brought up the shot put, a similar issue is with the throws. Through measuring, set-up, etc. the events don't appeal to the general public, especially the American public being as it is an attention span thing. As monotonous and stop-and-go as football (American) is the way it's broadcast is such that the watcher need not think about much. Save for the die-hard fans most in attendance of games are there socially more than anything.

People are generally sheeple and will go where you tell them but you need to cater to an unwillingness to not be entertained.

I just invited all of m "facebook friends" to join that group. 342 people. It came back with an error. Lame.

Edited by Matt Brouse

I just invited all of m "facebook friends" to join that group. 342 people. It came back with an error. Lame.

Same thing happened to me, but all of my friends still got the request.

Same here. Alright. I see some folks from Minneapolis area on there...this is a good marketing and communication tool for the sport. Underground as it is.

I agree about other "quick release sport as said above. But you forgot another important factor that is muscles involved that public can see. That included focus. I am not talking about tv viewing alone. I am talking about viewing in person. Shotput though in not too popular, but it involves total body effort that people can see clearly. Any way, do you think shotput have more audience than AW? by itself do you think people go will see it regularly? I doubt it! nevertheless I can see the whole body of work it takes to launch a ball. It belongs to Olympic because it's in track and field catergory. It is very simple to see the result. YOu are also missed the point about the start of the shot put, the launch and the landing. Quite spetacular to watch and and not as short as you think. Compare to Archery? you missed another point: archery requires total focus. And the release takes huge distance to reaches the target. That consider a big "movement" . As I said "bigger movement or more muscles involve better the interest. AW movement is very small compared to many others sports. Grip work is even smaller movement hence even less public interest. AW can't really afford short movement in an blink of an eye to draw an interest from public. It is not the camera work alone that will save the day for AW. Rules must change too!

I rememer Travis B vs Jerry C. matches. That was very exciting to watch, why? though it was very hard to see them fight for grips, but the bouts themselves were great and longer too. My 2 cents!

QUESTION FOR FIGHTERTRAINER:

You said in your post that a ProAW can easily wrist curl a dumbell

weighing over 200 lbs. one arm.

My question is, would you please name ANY arm wrestler that can do that easily.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

QUESTION FOR FIGHTERTRAINER:

You said in your post that a ProAW can easily wrist curl a dumbell

weighing over 200 lbs. one arm.

My question is, would you please name ANY arm wrestler that can do that easily.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

This was an old topic over at NW forum. I met Les Rollman in California 10 years ago in his garage for practice and when I said I saw this big guy in Gold Gym do 100lbs dumbell wrist curl. One of the guy there point it out to me "Les can do 200lbs wrist curl" I think I saw Allen Fisher there too I didn't recorgnize hime way back then. If you search in youtube for "california armwrestling" you will see Les vs Eric Woefle and beat him too in practice while Allen Fisher 's looking on. In NW forum there many guy who can do over 200 lbs, way more than 200 lbs. You see! this seem to be unreal for public to know such feat can be done one arm. YOu just have to go there and search, I don't remember the names though. It seems to me that those who can do that made no big deal out of it. It is no surprise to me even you are not aware of this fact! Now! bigger surprise fo rme is: John B. can beat those who can wrist curl more than he does. I am sure Bob Brown had read those topic over NW forum about 200lbs wrist curl. I would post the link if I can go back and find it

Thanks for the link but to be honest with you

I'll have to see more than just his claim that he can do that.

A video would be nice if anyone has it.

Thanks,

Mighty Joe

some of the things he says he does is unreal, nice to see a video. we kno gym work doesnt count for everything in AW, brzenk said he uses 30kg max weights to wrist curl, and hes beaten just about everyone and is the best in the world ;)

some of the things he says he does is unreal, nice to see a video. we kno gym work doesnt count for everything in AW, brzenk said he uses 30kg max weights to wrist curl, and hes beaten just about everyone and is the best in the world ;)

In AW pro world when it was discussed about wrist curl in excess of 200lbs dumbell over NW forum. There several Pros came forward to acknowledge each other claims as true. Thing is Pro Awer don't make a big deal about how much weight you can move in practice. To make a big deal about 200lbs wrist curl then got beaten by another pro is pointless. I am telling you there're few who can do 300lbs wrist curl in NW forum. Their claims can't be bogus, because they seemed to know each other well. One lie and someone will come forward to disclose that you lied. I am NOT a pro AWer but I've researched extensively about it, it's my job after all. If you did not read about it in NW forum there nothing I can do about it for you, except soaking in the knowledge of AW I enjoy for my self-indulgent

I went back for 15min there NW forum but could not find the topic. There 're too many to search. JB is not the norm, you can't compare him to the rest of the people. Gary Ray could not close #1 coc, but does that mean his hand was weak? I doubt it! He was 1999 world champ AWer in Russia and his hand is like steel to grap, it's just he just specialized in AW grip only. I did say JB can beat people who out-curl him, didn't I? no need to remind me of how he beat people. In this forum people are anamoured with poundage lifted. While for Pro AWers it seemed nice if you can move huge amount of weight, yeah! but It means didly-squat if you hand got pinned. Only if the public know better about Pro AWer ability

Same here. Alright. I see some folks from Minneapolis area on there...this is a good marketing and communication tool for the sport. Underground as it is.

There were like 15 members in that group...now there are 61...like 90% of the membership is people I invited. HaHa!