Grip machines

The Gripster

I'm thinking about buying a plate loaded grip machine. My question is which is better at working the hand for more functional strength. Would it be The Hardy Handshake or Gripanator which uses the palm of hand to push the weight down, or would it be The Secret Weapon or similar device which uses the fingers and bottom of hand to pull the weight up? If anyone has used both types or anyone knows if one is better than the other, I would greatly appreciate knowing. Thank You.

Guest rockblaster

I have used the Secret Weapon with little or no results other than very sore fingers.  I have a standard plate loaded grip machine from New York Barbells that I use from time to time and it works well.  I also hear the G-Rex is great too.  Don't just do a lot of reps with moderate weight.  Use enough weight where you can do 2-3 good progressive reps and work your way to very heavy weights for 1 good solid rep.  I hope this helps. :)

Oh, well.... FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH!!  :)   I guess the "all-around" machine that I would choose (and still use), is the G-Rex.  However, the machine I got the quickest results from was the Secret Weapon.  Maybe because it's design is to get your hands ready for heavy grippers.  The best machine for a true beginner is the one from New York Barbells.

Rockblaster got it right when he said go heavy, and I agree.  Forget doing lots of reps.  Load it up, and enjoy the pain.

Thanks for taking the time to reply ROCK and SYBER. I have a New York Barbell about 15 miles from me and they have that grip machine. As soon as I finish typing this I'm going to get it. Thanks guys.

What's functional strength?  You mean you can work your grip, get stronger, and you it isn't functional?

Well maybe I should'nt have said functional, since you will get a stronger grip with either machine. I should have just asked which is better. the one which pulls the weight up, or the HH where the handle is pushed down. I have just bought a grip machine from New york Barbell and I like it alot.

Just a question to Wannagrip if he happens to look at this topic again, or to anyone else who knows. I posted a question on the workout and routines board, but nobody has answered. I've read somewhere on this forum about Wanngrip's plateau buster routine. I've searched for but can't find it. Can somebody please describe it to me? Thank You.