2 Inch V Bar

Booyah!!!

Nailzilla and I were fooling around with my 2 inch V bar and his first time lifting he got over 200lbs and my max is 187lb. We were wondering what the deal is and came up with his hands are a lot softer than mine and mine are stronger. Seems like the guy with softer supple hands has the advantage over lifting this apparatus than the stronger handed individual. Maybe the V bar needs to be lightly knurled or beaded so suppleness is not the main test, but hand strength is.. I also think the Euro pinch device would benefit from this. Have any of you noticed anything regarding this topic description?

Lol.. soft supple hands.. I guess it would be hard to test with all things equal except hand suppleness(?) Are you telling me to get the lotion out because supple will help me get bigger VBar's?

A knurled V-bar and a failed lift seems like a very painful combination.

A knurled V-bar and a failed lift seems like a very painful combination.

hehe.. and If you are supple you wont be for long.

Nailzilla and I were fooling around with my 2 inch V bar and his first time lifting he got over 200lbs and my max is 187lb. We were wondering what the deal is and came up with his hands are a lot softer than mine and mine are stronger. Seems like the guy with softer supple hands has the advantage over lifting this apparatus than the stronger handed individual. Maybe the V bar needs to be lightly knurled or beaded so suppleness is not the main test, but hand strength is.. I also think the Euro pinch device would benefit from this. Have any of you noticed anything regarding this topic description?

In friction based lifts, there are so many reasons you may or may not accomplish your lift and I think one of the reasons is what you are mentioning Mike - when I shook your hand at the SOHGC you hand felt like one giant ball of callouse which too much would be bad on V-bar, and your hands are also so thick that your probably having a hard time getting that advantagious position on the bar. I noticed when Andrew came over, his fingers are long and skinny and Mike your hands are completely opposite (short and fat) so I believe that finger thickness plays a big role on your V-bar performance. In other words: you could have two guys with same hand size just diffent thickness and both have the same hand strength but the guy w/ thinner finger I think would be able to perform better on V-bar cause he could wrap his hand around it better - thats just my opinion - anyone else notice this?

Put some real weight on that thing and his girly hands won't matter.

Get strong. Anything else is just an excuse.

I think that moisture in the air/ on my hands makes my Vbar #s vary alot between attempts.

Dave Thorton said that his hands have gotten thicker since he started training, and that it had a negative affect on his thick bar work. that might play a roll as well.

brent

Thanks guys, LMAO and got some good input. :yikes Anybody else ?:D

I don't have any great advice, but I have rather small hands with thin fingers, and I thought it was fairly easy to wrap my hand around the 2" Vbar. I lifted 180 on it at a point were I wasn't consstently getting even 200 on the 1" Vbar, and my best gripper close at the time was an average #2.

Dave Thorton said that his hands have gotten thicker since he started training, and that it had a negative affect on his thick bar work. that might play a roll as well.

brent

me too. I pulled 250 at the SOHGC on the 2", but when I tried the other day, it was glued to the ground, and my hands have defenitly gotten thicker and stronger - so I think if Dave's noticing this anomaly, I'm noticing it, and I know Mike's hands are damn "catcher's mitts" and are about as thick as hands get, its pretty safe to assume thicker hands can make the 2" a little harder or alot harder ;)

I think you've made a valid point, Mike.

I'm skeered.

:D

Thick hands are bad.. No0 way!! You would have a better chance at convincing me about a boogy man.

and I happen to know there is no boogy man. I killed him myself.

first time lifting he got over 200lbs and my max is 187lb.

I'm thinking you'll move up pretty fast on the 2"V-bar. It doesn't seem to be as dependent on hand size as Axle lifts.

Bob Lipinski has had some pretty good pulls on the 2"V-bar, and hands don't get much shorter/thicker than his.

I think its the luck o' tha irish the makes the difference. Usually when I'm trying to pull big on that thing I have a pocket full of 4 leaf clovers and a leprechaun in the other. :D

Training it seems to have no effect for me and it seems completely random what I happen to lift with it on a given day. I prefer to use me lucky charms to ensure a good lift instead.

- Aaron

If that is true who/or what hell is under my bed?? :D

Chris Mathison :laugh

Chris Mathison :laugh

Yup.. thems the rules. Kill him and you have to take over as acting boogy man. Its just what I do.