Dead Hang

brownab

When I was a kid, my father once said that at a wrestling camp when he was in high school he dead hung from a bar for 5 min, but no one else could do it for more than 2 min. My best is a little under 4 min, but now that I have begun grip training I think it would be the perfect time to work on beating him. How should I train for this? Thanks for your help.

My first thought would be to tie some extra weight to yourself, so you seem lighter when you go for the record. Good luck, you can do it!

I personally know a fellow who hung (as in a dead hang) from a thick bar for over thirty (30) minutes... however I do believe the duct tape that we used around his hands assisted a little!

BTW: Yes, he was sore for days and no, we didn't feel bad for a second!

A very good exercise... I concur with Griffin regarding using a weight belt or a rucksack with bricks.

I try my best to perform hangs every morning after my triangle push-ups; hang for 2-3 minutes. Never tried for max time; maybe I'll try it tomorrow morning.

Good luck with that five minutes, tough but just a neurological obstacle... just shut out the discomfort and remember it's just weakness leaving the body.

Its better to do 3-5 intervalls of say 2-3 min with shorter and shorter rests for about 3-4 weeks, then rest a week and go for the record!! As a climber i know a thing or two about power, power endurance and endurance....

Its better to do 3-5 intervalls of say 2-3 min with shorter and shorter rests for about 3-4 weeks, then rest a week and go for the record!! As a climber i know a thing or two about power, power endurance and endurance....

Thanks, how long of rests are you talking about?

Extra weight would be good, also do thumbless and fingertip hangs.

I assume that you mean a one handed dead hang?

I have heard not to do them one handed cause it is dangerous for your shoulders. Better off just adding weight to your belt.

I assume that you mean a one handed dead hang?

I have heard not to do them one handed cause it is dangerous for your shoulders. Better off just adding weight to your belt.

I did not know that, thank you.

one handed hangs is exellent for building strenght, but the problem is that you have to be strong enough in the sholder girdle to support the weight whithout hanging in the tendons and ligaments. try not to hang with your arms completly straight, pull your sholder in its socket!

I'm referring to the two handed variety. If you think you could hang with one hand for five minutes, try it. If you can, then I want to know how you train.

I was adressing the potentially injury issue o one armed deadhangs, i didnt say i could hang for 5 min. 5 min is a looong time even with 2 hands on a pullup-bar!

As for your question about rests, in the beginning i would rest equally long as the time you hang to get a feel for how pumped you get. Then as you get better cut down the rest time as far as you can in 10-15 sek intervalls. If you are aming for 5 min you should probably tri one intervall to 4 min a week so you wont get shocked when you go for the record.

Cheers!