Grip Comp Of A Different Kind...

MalachiMcMullen

Alright guys, I've been planning a grip comp for a few weeks now that many wont be used to and I want to make sure the events don't alienate anyone. This wont be until July, no name for it yet and no specific date. Just tentative events...

The events I would like to have are as follows, and in no particular order:

Grippers in Chokers(will have to source grippers to have a good lineup like Rice's at Gripmas '07)

Weighed Pullup on 2" bar for max weight(palms facing away from body)

DO Axle clean and jerk/press for max weight(basically strongman rules, only stipulation is that it has to be ONE MOTION with DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP)

2 hand pinch- basic grip event

Medley- I have several lifts sitting in my shop now that either no one has thought of or no one has trained. ~20 objects total

So what do you think guys? I think the pullups and the DO axle cleans would be a nice addition, and, going by the grip competitors thread, I don't plan on having bending unless the majority of COMPETITORS wishes otherwise.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

When you say max weight on the pull-ups is that bodyweight plus weight added?

I am game. I was planning on putting cleans back into my training! Now you're saying no continentals, correct?

I am game. I was planning on putting cleans back into my training! Now you're saying no continentals, correct?

Yep, BW+ weight. I'm not sure how to go about counting the weights yet. Obviously a 240lb+ guy like yourself has more to carry around but I'm willing to bet that wont matter. So I'm not thinking of doing a total weight thing, just weight added. So if you and I both do BW+100lbs, we tie.

Correct, no continentals.

Yep, BW+ weight. I'm not sure how to go about counting the weights yet. Obviously a 240lb+ guy like yourself has more to carry around but I'm willing to bet that wont matter. So I'm not thinking of doing a total weight thing, just weight added. So if you and I both do BW+100lbs, we tie.

Correct, no continentals.

That is fine. I think that is how they did the New England's Strongest man contest back in like 2005 when Josh bryant won it. They only counted the weight added, if I remember correctly. Gonna have to cut weight for this one.

I'm down.

Of course, you know, 3-6 weeks prior to the actual show I will back out due to money or obligation or bending.

I'm down.

Of course, you know, 3-6 weeks prior to the actual show I will back out due to money or obligation or bending.

Perhaps I'll "forget" to get the Inch to Larkin's and you'll just have one more reason to drive 2hrs east ;)

I had a brainstorm, what about weight classes for this? That 200lb and over and then 199 and under sounds like a good plan for this specific contest so long as there is a diverse enough group of competitors. If for nothing else than the benefit of the big guys in the Pullups and for the small guys in the Axle clean. Perhaps I can get some more local guys to come out if advertised that way? Who knows. I'll leave that one up to you guys.

One more thing on the weight classes, holding a grip comp with weight classes could set a precedent. If it works out well and I get a bigger non-board member crowd, that may just be the way to go despite my objections to it...

If it works out well and I get a bigger non-board member crowd, that may just be the way to go despite my objections to it...

You gonna hang flyers around town or something? How else does one hear about grip contests...

I like underground fringe sports.

I keep forgetting that I bought that bell from you until once a week my buddy Mike asks me if I picked it up yet.

If it works out well and I get a bigger non-board member crowd, that may just be the way to go despite my objections to it...

You gonna hang flyers around town or something? How else does one hear about grip contests...

I like underground fringe sports.

I keep forgetting that I bought that bell from you until once a week my buddy Mike asks me if I picked it up yet.

I know a few people who would be interested in a strength comp but who also don't want a full fledged strongman comp. I also know a few people who could spread the word :) Heck, the varsity wrestling coach and the gym teacher at my HS are acquantences so I might be able to have them spread the word to their classes/athletes...

I also know a few people who could spread the word :)

I'll certainly do what I can.

BTW, the sort of hybrid idea of a strongman/grip or any other approach (i.e. Bench Pres/grip/spirit fingers) is an AWESOME idea.

I also know a few people who could spread the word :)

I'll certainly do what I can.

BTW, the sort of hybrid idea of a strongman/grip or any other approach (i.e. Bench Pres/grip/spirit fingers) is an AWESOME idea.

I plan on attending.

Zach, won't leave you stranded for grippers. Worst comes to worst I promise to mail you a bunch.

I plan to take all of my grippers to gripmas this year and get them calibrated. then I'll be able to help fill in some gaps.

Brent

I plan on attending.

Zach, won't leave you stranded for grippers. Worst comes to worst I promise to mail you a bunch.

I plan to take all of my grippers to gripmas this year and get them calibrated. then I'll be able to help fill in some gaps.

Brent

Thanks guys!!! Glad to hear you all plan on attending!

Now I just have to name it...

Any thoughts?

Very intrigusing Zach. Very forward thinking with the grippers in chokers and the weight classes; I'm very tempted to go to any contest with those two elements.

You can add a European flair with a thumbless Rolling Thunder lift for those who don't want to bend but would like a test of wrist strength. :devil

Alright guys, I've been planning a grip comp for a few weeks now that many wont be used to and I want to make sure the events don't alienate anyone. This wont be until July, no name for it yet and no specific date. Just tentative events...

The events I would like to have are as follows, and in no particular order:

Grippers in Chokers(will have to source grippers to have a good lineup like Rice's at Gripmas '07)

Weighed Pullup on 2" bar for max weight(palms facing away from body)

DO Axle clean and jerk/press for max weight(basically strongman rules, only stipulation is that it has to be ONE MOTION with DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP)

2 hand pinch- basic grip event

Medley- I have several lifts sitting in my shop now that either no one has thought of or no one has trained. ~20 objects total

So what do you think guys? I think the pullups and the DO axle cleans would be a nice addition, and, going by the grip competitors thread, I don't plan on having bending unless the majority of COMPETITORS wishes otherwise.

Very original Zach! I doubt I make it out to MI twice in one year regardless of the events (already committed to MGC) but I'd have the following suggestions:

Grippers in Chokers: fine as is, would definitely do first though as grippers, especially choker grippers, are a CNS event

Pull up: get rid of the 2" bar or have a handsize class, BW SHOULD be included in the total; they are afterall pulling more weight. A weight class would be a step in the right direction but a 150lber has a 50# headstart on a 200lber...gimme a break :blink

Axle clean and press: needs a handsize class: a quick review of the top axle guys reveals that nobody with 7.75" hands or less is even close to being top tier and since there is a clean and press involved, definitely need a weight class

2HP: fine as is

Medley: depends what you put in it; if it's loaded with wide pinch or your thick handled dbs then it's just more reason to have a handsize class

Good luck with it!

Josh

Very original Zach! I doubt I make it out to MI twice in one year regardless of the events (already committed to MGC) but I'd have the following suggestions:

Grippers in Chokers: fine as is, would definitely do first though as grippers, especially choker grippers, are a CNS event

Pull up: get rid of the 2" bar or have a handsize class, BW SHOULD be included in the total; they are afterall pulling more weight. A weight class would be a step in the right direction but a 150lber has a 50# headstart on a 200lber...gimme a break :blink

Axle clean and press: needs a handsize class: a quick review of the top axle guys reveals that nobody with 7.75" hands or less is even close to being top tier and since there is a clean and press involved, definitely need a weight class

2HP: fine as is

Medley: depends what you put in it; if it's loaded with wide pinch or your thick handled dbs then it's just more reason to have a handsize class

Good luck with it!

Josh

Thanks Josh!!! It would be great to have you if you could manage though ;) It is almost a year away so who knows :)

After mulling it over and talking with a few others, 207/94kg will be the dividing line for the weight classes.

Definitely having grippers first.

Meh, I see the point of the pullup as being able to lift your own BW. If your at a good BW for your frame, it really shouldn't make much of a difference. If your not and your carrying to much fluff or fat, you wont do as well. Besides, I WILL have a weight class division regardless of participation so that should help out the big guys. Including BW would mean that if Matt comes out and does 1 pullup at his BW, I would have to do 1 pullup with my BW+100lbs just to tie. Hell, if Tex were there, he could do 1 pullup at BW and even Matt would have to do BW+120 just to tie with him, and I'd have to do +200lbs to tie. I know the big guys are at a disadvantage here BW and mechanical-wise but they get the clean and press, so it balances out. I want the 2" bar to keep it a grip test, but the tiny handed guys will have more trouble holding on than the big guys, no doubt. I don't think I'm being unfair though, because I have sub 7 1/4" hands and I chose the event :devil

Don't be so sure about the small handed guys not pulling so well on the axle, you haven't seen my recent PR :fear I cannot deny the small handed guys on the whole will have a harder time with this. Again, though, the weight classes should pretty evenly divide up the group. Only an oddity would make it through with 7.75"+ hands at under 207(94kg).

I will probably have 2HP before the Axle event and after the pullups. With 2 thickbar events, there is no good place for it besides 1st or 2nd and I want to mix it up.

I don't plan to have any thickbar in it besides a thumbless RT lift(good call Bob! I was thinking the same!!!). 3 thickbar events would make this tailor made for the big guys. Since I'm not a big guy, I don't like that idea. Think along the lines of Gripmas '07 for the selection and overall test of strength. If Jedd and Matt come out, I'll have to put some big boy toys in there or it wont be worth their time and not as challenging.

I'm hoping that just dredging through with weight classes, even if one only has 2 or 3 competitors, will help out with future promoters precedent-wise.

I will make a full contest thread after GGC this weekend. GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!

Including BW would mean that if Matt comes out and does 1 pullup at his BW

We're making glorious assumptions here...

And how do you judge a pull-up...?

Meh, you can handle it :devil

There was a video of Josh Bryant at the New England contest Jedd referred to but I can't seem to find it now. Basically, chin to above the bar was the finish with a judge up there making sure.

There was a video of Josh Bryant at the New England contest Jedd referred to but I can't seem to find it now. Basically, chin to above the bar was the finish with a judge up there making sure.

Wow, no kidding. (that was sarcasm) I mean wether or not my knees exploding up to my chest was cheating or not?

Wow, no kidding. (that was sarcasm) I mean wether or not my knees exploding up to my chest was cheating or not?

Haha, nope. It starts from a dead hang ;)