Im #2 gripper...

Guest philostratos klidaras

Guest philostratos klidaras

Hello guys,

I am new to the world of grip training and grip stunts but I find it very interesting. I like reading the posts here a lot and the board is very informative.

If I may, I would like to ask a question; I can close the IM #1 easily for multiple singles and I would like to close the #2 very much, however I do not know what I should do in this regard. I see alot of various ideas such as strap holds, negatives etc. So does anyone have any suggestions that could help?

Also, what are your opinions on the Ivanko Suppergripper? I think it would be a good idea for the moment for someone who can't yet get a machine from PDA!

Thanks for your time  :)

Search the board - lots of info on this subject.  Try them all until you find one that works for you.  Everyone is different.  The main thing is obtaining a desire to close it then doing whatever it takes to get there.  Half-ass workouts will get you nowhere.

Guest sjeff70

It took me several months to figure out what I've recently realized.  I was just telling a friend this morning about the following analogy:

If you want to squat BIG weights you don't do a bunch of reps with moderate weights.  If you want to squat BIG weights you have to squat BIG weights.  

In other words, if your goal is to close the hardest gripper possible, you'll want to work with grippers you can't close.  I think this is because the gaps in strength required to close each level of gripper is so great.  I think strapholds are important, and I use them, but use heavy weights.  This is done by limiting your sets and holding the weight for less time (3-5 seconds).    

My humble opinion of course.  

Jeff

My tips would be to train with the gripper you can't close. In your case, #2.

If you are DETERMINED and NEVER give up, you will finally close it!  :D

Just my thoughts...

if you just train hard and try a little of everything, you will get better. i closed my #2 2 months after getting it. i remember during that time i was always wondering what the best way to train was. every other day i was training with my #2, and thinking i got to find a better program! then one day i closed it! while i was serching for the perfect training routine, it was the dedicatoin that worked! nothing will pay off better than discipline! :)

I agree with Jeff. Instead of building up high reps with a gripper you can close, in your case the #1, just warm up with the #1 and make an all out effort to close the #2. Squeeze and hold as though your life depended on it. One rep should be enough, and with such low volume you can train everyday. I used this method to get as far as closing a #4 to within 1/2''

No strapholds or grip machines were used. I have given up on the supergripper as it did not seem to help and I never liked the feel of it.

OldGuy is right about the negatives.  As for me, my training was going nowhere until I went hard and heavy on the SW.  I felt like a grip machine did help me a lot.  It might help you too.  Try it if your gains dry up.