Tips for speeding up recovery

Jonathan McMillan

Sorry if this has been posted in the recent past, I'm just learning my way around this message board.

I generally haven't had much obvious trouble with recovery except there is days as everyone knows where your grip just ain't there.

The only time it seems to bother me is if I'm doing too much hand work around the house...ie. chopping wood after a serious grip session leaves my hands in a weak condition for a few days.  Yesterday I did some major pruning along our back paddocks (have to move our miniature donkeys in there for the winter)to put fencing up.  My hands were feeling fatigued so I rubbed some tiger balm on them last night.  Seemed to do the trick as my hands feel fine today.

Any tips out there?  I've heard running hot as you can stand water over your hands prior to exercising helps warm up the tissues.

Jon@han

Guest CalvinP

REST is the best way to recuperate your hands. However I do take Glucosamine MSM complex for joints maintenance just in case. Back off a few day doesn't hurt. I don't believe in over-training and train to fabsolute-failure any way. But that is my opinion!

I agree with rest.  Your hands are like any other body part you have and when you've worked them HARD... they need that rest to recover.

What you're really interested in is recovering THERAPY for your hands.  Tiger Balm is good.  What about Icy/Hot?  Hot water over your hands can be painful.  I posted a treatment in which you plunge your hands in a warm/hot water bath, then into an icy water bath - and you do that back and forth.  You could try that.  But the best thing is just plain ole' rest.

Ive had a bottle of glucosamine and chondroitin tablets for a while now. I used to take them on and off last year during gymnastics to help a shoulder injury, but I never could remember to take them on a regular basis. Im wondering what kind of results people have gotten from them on a long term basis, if they really help that much and are are they really worth taking. Thanks ahead for any replies.

I've read in numerous places that these supplements effects really depend on the brand name as what's listed on the label is often not in the jar.

BTW  I was plagued with shoulder aches for years until I started incorperating powercleans into my routine.

Jon@han