8 Inch Spike Bend

naturalstrength

Is an 8 inch spike bend considered a reasonable milestone (braced bending of course)? Also, how far off is that from being able to take down, say an 8" crescent wrench?

Edited by naturalstrength

Is an 8 inch spike bend considered a reasonable milestone (braced bending of course)? Also, how far off is that from being able to take down, say an 8" crescent wrench?

I have taken down dozens of easier 80d's but never an 8" wrench. I also can't find any that aren't impossible.

I have taken down dozens of easier 80d's but never an 8" wrench. I also can't find any that aren't impossible.

I agree! I bought a crescent wrench at harbour freight tools, and that thing is impossible to bend. I even pried it against the power rack and tried to bend it that way, but no go.

Edited by naturalstrength

I took down an 8" wrench way before I took down a 8" Griprite. And it's a pretty good milestone.

Natural,

First, great job!

Depends on what kind of 8 inch spike and which brand of 8 inch crescent wrench.

Wrenches are funny and many of the top guys won't tell you the fact that many wrenches are impossible to bend because if you could get them moving they will break. Trust me on this one, I've had it happen.

I've got 8 inch spikes that calibrate anywhere from the low 200s to the mid 600s so those vary too. Typically, a good keystone 80d spike is a more elite bend than one of the wrenches that the guys use in shows.

If it's a 3/8 inch by 8 inch spike then your more than ready to tackle some wrenches. Go to Sears or K-mart and pick out a "companion" brand 8 inch wrench. Look through them and don't get a super-thick mutant. Those are bendable and one that many have bent so you'll have something to compare to.

Avoid like the plague any wrench that certified by the AISXX whatever those initials are. If the wrench costs alot of money it's save to say to avoid it. Those wrenches that come in the 3 and 4 piece set are usually pretty bendable too but I've even had cheap wrenches that can really throw you a curve.

Start with the 8 inchers as the 10s are tougher as a whole. They get thicker and wider and the 12s are even another jump up.

Later,

Tim

Natural,

First, great job!

Wrenches are funny and many of the top guys won't tell you the fact that many wrenches are impossible to bend because if you could get them moving they will break. Trust me on this one, I've had it happen.

I've got 8 inch spikes that calibrate anywhere from the low 200s to the mid 600s so those vary too. Typically, a good keystone 80d spike is a more elite bend than one of the wrenches that the guys use in shows.

If it's a 3/8 inch by 8 inch spike then your more than ready to tackle some wrenches. Go to Sears or K-mart and pick out a "companion" brand 8 inch wrench. Look through them and don't get a super-thick mutant. Those are bendable and one that many have bent so you'll have something to compare to.

Avoid like the plague any wrench that certified by the AISXX whatever those initials are. If the wrench costs alot of money it's save to say to avoid it. Those wrenches that come in the 3 and 4 piece set are usually pretty bendable too but I've even had cheap wrenches that can really throw you a curve.

Start with the 8 inchers as the 10s are tougher as a whole. They get thicker and wider and the 12s are even another jump up.

Later,

Tim

Tim,

Thanks again for the info on the wrenches :rock The only ones that I have tried are the brand "Pittsburgh" from Harbour freight tools. The seem to be really tough, but then again I have only tried that brand. I will try the "companion" brand in the next day or so and let you know how it works out. I saw some at Home Depot today that seemed mutant. They were the "crescent" wrench brand and seem bendable by only the "jaws of life", if even that. :happy Thanks again :rock

The Pittsburg ones vary too depending on which set you got them in.

Home Depot also has one called a "Husky" that would be off the charts impossible to bend.

The companion ones are about the difficulty that you see the pros use in shows. Some other brands that are commonly used in shows are, Pit Bull, Regal, Extra, and Buffalo Tools.

It's a guessing game. I've bought a 4 piece set where the 6 inch and 10 inch are mutants and the 8 and 12 are more doable.

Tim

Great Job on the spike!!! :rock Those things are crazy tough. I only have the dark Keystone ones, but they have whipped my butt every time!! :blink :blink

Concerning the crescent wrenches, boy Tim are you ever right about them varying!! Just a few weeks ago I had a show coming up, and was practicing my feats. I saw an 8'' companion wrench in my box that had just laughed at me before. Well, just for giggles, I gave it a shot.......and it moved!!! Alot!! :rock:blink I kinked it enough that I was able to crush it on top of my thigh and finish it DO. I thought " Sweet, I am definitely doing one of these in my show!" Well there I am in the middle of my show, everything is going good, feats are going down easy, and it's time for the wrench bend. I wrap it up, put on top of my thigh, PUSH, and......NOTHING!!!! I get fired up, PUSH, and I think I may have warped it a little!! :blink :blink So in my frustration, I explain to the crowd that sometimes you just get a crazy hard one, and pull another one out of my bag. Quickly wrap it up, REALLY PUSH, and warped it! Panic, and PUSH MY GUTS OUT, and this wrench kinks in the middle(they usually bend on the end) at a really sharp angle; no curve on either side of the kink, and just FREEZES right there!!!! :(:blush :blush Well, luckily most of the audience were kids, and they didn't really care, but I learned a very important lesson that day! Make sure you have a feat nailed before you preform it for people!!! Just goes to show the variance in the same brand of wrench. My advice? Look for the thin ones!! :D :D

Great Job on the spike!!! :rock Those things are crazy tough. I only have the dark Keystone ones, but they have whipped my butt every time!! :blink :blink

Concerning the crescent wrenches, boy Tim are you ever right about them varying!! Just a few weeks ago I had a show coming up, and was practicing my feats. I saw an 8'' companion wrench in my box that had just laughed at me before. Well, just for giggles, I gave it a shot.......and it moved!!! Alot!! :rock:blink I kinked it enough that I was able to crush it on top of my thigh and finish it DO. I thought " Sweet, I am definitely doing one of these in my show!" Well there I am in the middle of my show, everything is going good, feats are going down easy, and it's time for the wrench bend. I wrap it up, put on top of my thigh, PUSH, and......NOTHING!!!! I get fired up, PUSH, and I think I may have warped it a little!! :blink :blink So in my frustration, I explain to the crowd that sometimes you just get a crazy hard one, and pull another one out of my bag. Quickly wrap it up, REALLY PUSH, and warped it! Panic, and PUSH MY GUTS OUT, and this wrench kinks in the middle(they usually bend on the end) at a really sharp angle; no curve on either side of the kink, and just FREEZES right there!!!! :(:blush :blush Well, luckily most of the audience were kids, and they didn't really care, but I learned a very important lesson that day! Make sure you have a feat nailed before you preform it for people!!! Just goes to show the variance in the same brand of wrench. My advice? Look for the thin ones!! :D :D

Its great to hear that you are using your strength feats in a very positive way Jeremiah :rock I wish you continued success in your endeavours :D

Natural,

First, great job!

Later,

Tim

Tim,

Thanks again for the info on the wrenches :rock The only ones that I have tried are the brand "Pittsburgh" from Harbour freight tools. The seem to be really tough, but then again I have only tried that brand. I will try the "companion" brand in the next day or so and let you know how it works out. I saw some at Home Depot today that seemed mutant. They were the "crescent" wrench brand and seem bendable by only the "jaws of life", if even that. :happy Thanks again :rock

I have a set of metric Pittsburgs from Harbor Freight also and have managed to snap all of the middle ones 10mm - 16mm. Everything else just flexes back. But the ones from Dollar general... now they all break.

I got a super cheap set of 6" and 8" wrenches at walmart a while back. They were chinese and really crappy lookin, terrible quality, the threads barely worked on the adjuster. I thought "no problem". HA! Holy hell these things are completely insane, I couldn't even budge them, then I put a wrench and a pipe on the 6" and bent it, I kept waiting for it to break it was sooo springy. But it didn't, I was braced crushing the thing with the equivilant of about a 24" bar length worth of leverage and I barely got it. It went nearly to a U but my leverage was touching ends and it sprang back quite a bit. So like Tim T says, some of those cheap ones can really surprise you.

Tim,

That's been my experience with the Wal-Mart 6 inch wrenches too. Some older posts show some guys getting some of those that were about G5 levels and some that were near bastard levels but I can tell you every one I've ever bought was INSANE as well.

Best way to compare your wrench bending prowess is to get the Craftsman Tappet wrenches in the 5 piece set. Nice graduated progression and even though they do vary, it's not near as much as some of the crescent type wrenches. You can go to ebay and key "craftsman tappet" and see the ones I'm talking about. Alot of the top guys bend / snap them in shows. They usually won't snap until past 90 degrees.

It's REALLY hard to find a good consistant supply of adjustable type wrenches.

Tim

I got a super cheap set of 6" and 8" wrenches at walmart a while back. They were chinese and really crappy lookin, terrible quality, the threads barely worked on the adjuster. I thought "no problem". HA! Holy hell these things are completely insane, I couldn't even budge them, then I put a wrench and a pipe on the 6" and bent it, I kept waiting for it to break it was sooo springy. But it didn't, I was braced crushing the thing with the equivilant of about a 24" bar length worth of leverage and I barely got it. It went nearly to a U but my leverage was touching ends and it sprang back quite a bit. So like Tim T says, some of those cheap ones can really surprise you.

HAHA!!! I did the exact same thing!! I have some home depot off-brand ones that are crazy tough too. :blink :blink

Tim,

That's been my experience with the Wal-Mart 6 inch wrenches too. Some older posts show some guys getting some of those that were about G5 levels and some that were near bastard levels but I can tell you every one I've ever bought was INSANE as well.

Best way to compare your wrench bending prowess is to get the Craftsman Tappet wrenches in the 5 piece set. Nice graduated progression and even though they do vary, it's not near as much as some of the crescent type wrenches. You can go to ebay and key "craftsman tappet" and see the ones I'm talking about. Alot of the top guys bend / snap them in shows. They usually won't snap until past 90 degrees.

Tim

Has anybody found the tappet wrenches for sale outside of e-bay that wasn't crazy expensive? I would like to buy several sets, but e-bay makes it a pain.

Tim,

Tim

Has anybody found the tappet wrenches for sale outside of e-bay that wasn't crazy expensive? I would like to buy several sets, but e-bay makes it a pain.

You can get em' at Sears hardware, but they are pricey.

Tim,

Tim

I've bought from mountainman74 on ebay. The sears near me doesn't carry them so I can't say on that. I've heard fastenal has them too but I've never pursued it.

I've not bought any for a while though and haven't bent any in a long time either.

Tim