Axle Question

Paul Knight

I think I remember reading about this before, but couldn't find the thread :rolleyes

I just visited FBBC's web-site and noticed their axle is 2" thick and solid ~80lbs. Would there be a different feel lifting this axle (same weight) versus the IM axle - in other words: is one harder to lift than the other?

and which of the two is more commonly used in comps?

I think I remember reading about this before, but couldn't find the thread :rolleyes

I just visited FBBC's web-site and noticed their axle is 2" thick and solid ~80lbs. Would there be a different feel lifting this axle (same weight) versus the IM axle - in other words: is one harder to lift than the other?

and which of the two is more commonly used in comps?

Paul - the short version of the post you were looking for is this. There are 1.9" "Axles" made from 1 1/2" pipe (most homemade ones are like this). There is the IM Apollon Axle that is made from actual 2" DOM tubing (hollow with .25" sidewalls) with the ends turned down to 1.95" so all plates will fit. There is the FBBC 2" solid bar and I don't know if John has the ends turned on his. The IM Axle seems to be the standard for competitions in Grip and it's seen a lot in Strongman as well. There are 2 3/8" and 2.5" and 3" bars that are loosely called Axles at different places in the strength world.

Now your second question of -"is there a difference between solid and hollow Axles" - I don't know as I have not had the chance to lift on a solid bar. For me in general a 1.9" pipe bar lets me lift 5 to 10# more than an actual 2" bar. Unless it's a Galvanized pipe , in which case it's harder than a reg axle. Clear as mud yet?

TDS also makes solid and hollow 2", 2.5", and 3" thickbars. New York Barbells and a couple other places resell those.

I think that the solid bar may be a bit harder but haven't lifted the two side by side to be certain.

My solid 2" smooth axle is a bitch. I can manage 370 on a good day. My 2" knurled hollow axle is awesome. 455 my last attempt. I know the knurling adds alot but I think being hollow also does. Dont ask my why but I think hollow is easier.

I also make a 2" O.D. 1/4" wall axle on request, same price, cheaper shipping. IM's axle is used more, it's been around a lot longer, more folks have them.

I have to say, having compared a solid axle to a hollow one side by side, I feel the solid is harder. A solid bar will want to spin more than a hollow one. It's not all that noticeable, but when your going for max weight, it can mean the difference between a PR and much less.

I have to say, having compared a solid axle to a hollow one side by side, I feel the solid is harder. A solid bar will want to spin more than a hollow one. It's not all that noticeable, but when your going for max weight, it can mean the difference between a PR and much less.

This is what I was kinda guessing Zach - now, for training purposes, I'm leaning towards the FBBC axle so that when I compete, the comp bar should feel easier.