Fingers.

Guest Joske

lo guys, i'm rather new here, have been reading the page/boards for quiet some time, but haven't posted yet.

I was wondering: Are push-ups on ur fingers tips good for anything? do they strenghten your fingers?

tx, Joske.

Hi Joske,

Since you're new here.... the answer to your question is NO.

We discuss grip strength and grip training.  The best thing for you to do is to go over to the IronMind website and get a free catalog to be sent to you.  You'll also need to order the grippers.  I suggest the Trainer and the #1 to start.  If you can close these, hey... move on to the #2 and #3.

Most everyone here is vying to be the next one to close the #3 (except those that have done it - myself included).  The grippers are not the only thing that we talk about... we also discuss grip strength, training, and anything that revolves around that.  We also admire those who have special talents in the grip world - Richard Sorin, David Horne, John Brookfield, Dennis Rogers, Heath Sexton, etc.  These are guys that are like GODS to us here on this forum - and if you get to meet them in person (like I have), it's even better.

Welcome to the GripBoard.  We are here to help ya; all you have to do is ask!  :)  

http://www.ironmind.com

Snott,

Why do you say fingertip push-ups arent any good for your fingers?  I do them on occassion.  They're hard at my bodyweight, but seem to toughen the fingers some.

Fingertip pushups are brutal!!!  I can't remember who posted it (think I saw it in the faq section before I joined the board) but there is some potential benefit with finger tip pushups for grip stunts.  It was the idea that it helped toughen the fingers up so you could push them through a raw potato as you crushed it.  Anyone recall the post..I can't seem to access it currently.  Kindof new to the whole message board thing myself.

Jon@han

Hardening of the fingers is definitely a big asset in many feats using the hands.  One I recall that isn't grip related was by my old Kung Fu instructor.  His fingers were so hard that I could whip his hand and quickly shove them through the side of an unbraced shipping crate (the thick cardboard ones).  Punching something through at that speed means there's no time to 'push' through, it's gotta be hard enough that it drives through like a nail.  He did a lot of other things, but besides that and the rock-hard forearms they were more standard martial arts-type stuff.

thx for the replies, and thx for the welcome Snott.  I'd like to order some grippers, but I live in Europe and it's allways such a frigging mess if u have to order something from the states :)

I think i'm gona add some push-ups on the fingertops to some of my workouts.

tx, Joske

No grippers? In good weather, sit in a porch swing

where the chains or cables come together at the top.

Sit at one end of the swing, use the two chains as

a gripper- your bodyweight is the resistance.

Also, grabbing the chains farther below their attachments

(so they are wider apart) will increase resistance.

Move to the other end of the swing for the other hand.

Small link chain is better, so the hand can close more.

Of course additional weights can be placed on the swing,

and you may need to grasp the chains before sitting on the

swing.

Before long the you'll have all the neighbors sitting on the

swing during your workout!

Hi Joske:

I haven't done fingertip push-ups regularly to be able to answer your question definitively, but I would imagine that they would help make your fingers stronger.  I suppose the results would also vary depending on whether you do them on the actual tips of your fingers or on the first pad of each finger.  I like to kill as many birds with one stone as I can when I train (e.g. I do my side bends with an Oly bar to also get some lateral wrist work in) so if push-ups are something you do anyway, you may as well try doing them on your fingertips to also strengthen the fingers.

Speaking for myself, there are no grip-world gods, there are enough grip exercises out there that you don't need grippers (unless grippers will help you achieve a particular goal of yours), and I'm not vying to be the next person to close the #3.

One of the great benefits of the assembly of grip fans here is that we come from diverse grip backgrounds and we have a wide variety of reasons for doing grip work.  In the end, practicing exercises that will help us achieve our goals is what matters.

Welcome aboard.

BC.

I’ve found that finger-tip push-ups aren’t the best exercise for a beginning hand-strength athlete.  When I first tried them, long before I even heard of the CoC grippers, my fingers contorted backward into painful and unhealthy positions.  I could do them, but realized that this may not exactly be healthy for the tendons and ligaments.  I’ve also seen kids in martial arts classes, proud of their ft-pu’s, even though the joints were bending the wrong way.  On the other hand, now that my hands have toughened up considerably, I can do push-ups on my fingers without them arching into unnatural positions.

My advice:  Wait until you have some hand strength before you make finger-tip push-ups a regular part of your work out.  When you can do them with natural form, do them at will.  The work out is enjoyable, functional and impressive.

Forgot to mention form is very important with them.  It's pretty easy to do finger pushups on the fingerprint pad....it's a whole 'nother ball of wax to do them on the actual tips!

Jon@han

I still stand on my position about fingertip pushups.  All you are doing is putting pressure on your fingers... but does that make them stronger?  Think of the grippers as a "finger bench curl", as your fingers ARE moving during the exercise.

Joske,  I'm sorry to hear about your plight with ordering the grippers.  Please reconsider trying to order them - I say that if you can do it, do it.  The grippers are worth the hassle in the long run!!  :)

Guest woody36

Syber,

I would think fingertip pushups would be a great aid to

plate/plate wrist curling, where the weight places tremendous

stress on the fingers and wrist.

Total inconvenience, and not worth the trouble, but:

Smearing lotion or oil on a sheet of metal (where the

hands are placed) for fingertip pushups, will give a

new appreciation for the great stress put on stabilizing

the hand in this position.

Another gripper substitute that works in a pinch:  bent bars.

No, really!

I bought 36" 3/8 and 7/16 cold rolled steel bars a couple weeks ago to cut up so I could begin learning to spike bend.  :crazy

I discovered my mistake after hitting Tom Black's site, and was inspired to use them instead for long bar bending practice.  I U-shaped 'em both at 29", which made me feel a little better after utterly failing to bend the 7" pieces  :p .  

I noticed that making the ends of the bent bars clack together mimicked the sweep of a gripper pretty well.  The grippers are definitely worth the hassle, but until you get some, try squeezing some bent stock.  It's as much fun to make as use!

Joske,  I'm sorry to hear about your plight with ordering the grippers.  Please reconsider trying to order them - I say that if you can do it, do it.  The grippers are worth the hassle in the long run!!  :)

i'm working on it ;)