Several Grip Questions

Guest indi

i had some wrist pain in my left wrist (levering) and also some pain on the back of both hands (from the metscarpal leading from the middle finger to the fleshy part between index and thumb. ive already decided to take 2 weeks off, more if need be, plan on contrast soaks and so forth. questions as follows:

-is the pain along the back of the hand from not hitting extensors enough? id say around 40% of gripwork is extensor training of some form, should it be increased to 50%, or more?

-the wrist pain just appeared one day from out the blue, im gonna guess its because i worked levers twice a week (one day being 4x5 and the 2nd being 3x10) im planning on working them just once a week again, but maybe increasing reps so im using a lighter weight for more reps, rather than my 4x5. i dont really have any specific questions for this but if anyone has an comments or suggestions on maybe how to ensure any pain doesnt return, id appreciate it.

-i have a habit of (i think) putting in too many exercises, because i want to cover all bases, so to speak, and think that missing out some exercises might neglect that area of strength. as im taking 2-3 weeks off to recover, i figured id add in more extensor work and came u with a routine i was going to try, but if possible, id rather post it here and get your feedback/opinions. change watever you want. if posting routines isnt allowed in this part of the forum, let me know, ille dit and post it wherever they are.

tues:

coc 2 strap holds (2.5kg) 4 x 10 secs (i can always close coc2 with right hand, but not with left it)

ironmind rubber band extensors 4x20-30reps (green. all i can manage so far)

RT 4x5secs

hub extensor lifts 4x20-30 secs (stick fingers within hub..lift)

pinch lifts 4x7 secs. standard IM pinch block.

eagle loop extensors 4x15-10 (attach eagle loop to loading pin, wear it over fingers, and place hand over edge of bench/safety bar of power rack, and perform extensor reps)

thurs:

beef builder 4x8-10

band extensors (as tues)

levering: overhead, back, front, side. 4x7 each.

blobette 3-4 sets of max time (usually lasts 5-10 secs, weighs 10kg)

extensor brick hold 3-4 sets of 30-45 secs

sat:

coc 2 strap hold (as tues)

band extensors (as tues)

ironmind hub lifting 4x5 secs

hub extensor lifts (as tues)

2handed wide block pinching 4x7 secs

eagle loop extensors (as tues)

sun:

thickbar statics 4x10 secs

forearm curls 4x 10-12

reverse forearm curl 4x10-12

finger walking (with a light plank of wood, not a sledgehammer) 3-4 "walks"

i also grab my dex balls for 15 mins or so on tues, thurs,sat before bed, and sometimes play with a white ironmind band for high reps for a few sets.

i know its a long post, so thanks for taking the time to read and help!

(one more Q, does wide pinching have a carryover to regular pinching? and vise versa?)

I have no idea how hard or how heavy you are training, but that seems like a lot of forearm work. You are hitting your wrists 4 times a week there.

You can work your hands harder than any other bodypart, but the wrists sometimes need a little more rest.

Other guys may offer more specifics, but I would suggest 2 hard workouts a week for beginners, maybe a third with just grippers. Cut it down to some gripper stuff, thick bar, pinch, and wrist, maybe 4 exercises twice a week. Really the specifics don't matter, I just think you might be overworking your wrists for this point in the game, especially if some of that stuff is really heavy.

I have no idea how hard or how heavy you are training, but that seems like a lot of forearm work. You are hitting your wrists 4 times a week there.

You can work your hands harder than any other bodypart, but the wrists sometimes need a little more rest.

Other guys may offer more specifics, but I would suggest 2 hard workouts a week for beginners, maybe a third with just grippers. Cut it down to some gripper stuff, thick bar, pinch, and wrist, maybe 4 exercises twice a week. Really the specifics don't matter, I just think you might be overworking your wrists for this point in the game, especially if some of that stuff is really heavy.

cheers. i didnt realise i hit wrists 4x a week, i figured levering once and wrist curls once were about it. im guessing other grip work affects wrists quite a bit also..

in terms of how hard im hitting them, i generally dont hit failure until the last set or 2nd to last set on any type of static holds. for any rep work i tend to stay away from complete failure by a rep or so.

the weights in itself arent heavy for you guys, RT would be 50kg for 4 sets of 5 second holds, pinch block and hubs between 10-16kg, but its still pretty heavy for me. if possible id rather move away from grippers, id much rather increase pinch and RT/thickbar stuff.