Tissue Trauma Advice

barbe705

so on saturday I behaved like an idiot with a caber. it smacked me on the right forearm. It should have broken the arm but didn't. I have some swelling, stiffness and soreness. I know I can't get better in time to train for GGc but, I'm a little worried about healing in time to compete healthy. does anybody have any advice to help it heal up faster? I iced for the first 24 hours. I've been trying to work it lightly all day since then.

brent

Ice again today, same as yesterday...I would say not to do any "light work" until the swelling is gone. If you have full ROM by tomorrow, you could do light work, but if not, ice again. No heat!

When I saw it happen - I thought you broke it for sure - that caber really put a licking on you - be glad you have those "popeye" forearms with all that meat on them! At this point, I'd go for as much blood flow thru that area as you can get without adding any additional trauma. Even stuff like walking etc will help move more blood - light compression can be helpful also. The swelling is fluid that is outside the cells and that needs to be moved out ASAP. Then as soon as possible, start moving it with light resistance, then gradually add more work to it. I'll be surprised if you lose that much strength really for GGC, you were likely overtrained a bit anyway and the time off might actually help you. Good Luck!

I've been playing with a couple of golf balls and doing extensor work with a normal rubber band today. when I say light work I don't mean a COC#2 or anything like that. just trying to get some extra blood flowing.

plenty of whiskey :D

Doesn't alcohol act as a blood thinner? Not an altogether bad idea actually - and with the bonus that it either won't hurt as much or you won't care that it hurts so much :D

Massage the arm if you can stand doing it. I've managed to avoid major bruising and swelling before by massaging the area directly after it has been hurt. Massage will promote blood flow and help your body clear out all the nastyness.

What I did for a bruise/tendonitis on my elbow and Ulnar side of my right forearm was do contrast baths and ended off by letting it soak in a 5 gallon bucket filled 50/50 with ice and water up past my elbow. At the very least it didn't feel so tender and the tendonitis pain didn't bother me until the next day(figure 9 hrsish). Other than that, I would think that stretching and moving the forearm around would help.

Dang dude, I hope you are alright. Take care of it, sounds like you are on the right track.

Ice again today, same as yesterday...I would say not to do any "light work" until the swelling is gone. If you have full ROM by tomorrow, you could do light work, but if not, ice again. No heat!

Concur... ice it until chilled then gently massage with your thumb if you can bear it then ice again. Repetitive icing has proven effective for me and a lot of guys on my team even upto five days after an unjury! Ice bath, ice bath, ice bath. Wishing you to heal up soon.

yesterday I spent the day trying to keep moving the hand and wrsit as much as I could. light extensor bands and taped golf ball work to keep the blood moving. in the evening I massaged it with a small section of 2" pvc. a sort of foam roller workout. before bed a contrast bath for about 15 minutes, back and forth.

today things seem a lot better. it feels les stiff and less sore. the swelling seems to have gone down some, ans the bruising is lessened. thanks to all fot the advice. I'll be keeping this up for the rest of the week at least.

brent

Focus on the area with the intent of increasing bloodflow until you can feel the chi pulsing and tingling. Do this for 10 minutes several times over the course of a week and you will be good as new. Maybe even in 3 days.

It sounds like you are going to be OK, but the first thing I thought of when reading this was possible compartment syndrome. If you haven't heard of it, well it can be nasty. Crush injuries can sometimes not break any bones, but deep down arteries and veins can be damaged. If one pops or eventually leaks, then blood would get into an arm or leg or whatever got hurt, but then the blood would not get out. No blood flow means no oxygen and the tissue dies. In other words untreated a person could lose a limb, but that is pretty extreme. Pain and stiffness would probably get a person to a hospital before that happened and they would catch it. Anyway, I don't want to scare you, if this happened days ago and as you said some swelling is gone you should be fine. If you had compartment syndrome it would not get better on it's own. Don't be afraid to go see a doctor if anything seems really off though.

but the first thing I thought of when reading this was possible compartment syndrome. If you haven't heard of it, well it can be nasty. Crush injuries can sometimes not break any bones...

He definitely would be feeling the symptoms of "compartment syndrome" which means: acute pain out of proportion (off the scale!); painful tingling numbness (as in "pins and needles" as well as: nails, sticks, and stones, etc.); coupled with an extructiating throbing feeling nearing the point of paralysis... so don't worry Barbe705 you wouldn't be playing with golf balls let alone typing on the internet if you had it.

I experienced compartment syndrome first hand three years ago after a serious arm/shoulder injury while on duty in Cote d'Ivoire; I have a high thresh hold for pain but this was something else. The worst stage was after being stabilized and drugged up and on my med flight out of country to Bangkok, the phantom pain took over and I kept thinking my arm was being ripped off! That feeling took a good three months to dissipate.