Can Someone Clear My Confusion

naturalstrength

I know that there are 2 techniques for phonebook tearing. The so called "popping" technique and the "grip and rip" technique. From my understanding, the "popping" technique starts the tear from the top-down, where the "grip and rip" is from the bottom-up. I am confused because some of the purists are claiming "grip and rip" and tearing from the top-down, almost like a modified "popping" technique. Is this right, or am I just totally lost concerning phonebook tearing? Any help would be appreciated in clearing up the confusion :blink

Edited by naturalstrength

Actually, the grip and rip usually uses a shearing method to get it started. Clay Edgin has an excellent article on his website showing this. I don't remember the link right now.

Basically, you grip really good with your posting hand and pull kinda up and back with your other hand. If you do it right you'll see a shear line starting and that's where the rip starts. If you practice at it things will go so fast that it looks like no technique at all is involved.

When I ripped my first phone book I did like you were talking about with a reverse popping. I just pulled really hard and torqued my to start it at the bottom. I did okay with that.

Of course you've seen the popping method like almost all of the strength teams use. Clay also has a 3rd method that I've not tried much but he says is the one that's medium hard inbetween the popping and shearing, or grip and rip.

If I find the link I'll post it but it's been posted on here before.

Tim

Actually, the grip and rip usually uses a shearing method to get it started. Clay Edgin has an excellent article on his website showing this. I don't remember the link right now.

Basically, you grip really good with your posting hand and pull kinda up and back with your other hand. If you do it right you'll see a shear line starting and that's where the rip starts. If you practice at it things will go so fast that it looks like no technique at all is involved.

When I ripped my first phone book I did like you were talking about with a reverse popping. I just pulled really hard and torqued my to start it at the bottom. I did okay with that.

Of course you've seen the popping method like almost all of the strength teams use. Clay also has a 3rd method that I've not tried much but he says is the one that's medium hard inbetween the popping and shearing, or grip and rip.

If I find the link I'll post it but it's been posted on here before.

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim :D You are always a fountain of knowledge when it comes to explaining grip stuff. Thanks again :rock

That second link is the one I was talking about. It is a WEALTH of phonebook tearing knowledge.

Good luck and thanks for the compliment. Always glad to help.

Tim

N.S.

If you don't have the Phonebook DVD and have only listened to people talk then yes you are a little lost. Period. There is no other resourse better than that. I learned a lot by getting it, and I'm not a phonebook guy.

I like Clay a lot, but he is not the authority on phonebooks. His article was good for the time it came out, for guys (including himself) trying to figure it out.

Finally, It doesn't matter if the tear starts from the top or bottom. This will vary even with similar techniques for different people.

-HH

N.S.

If you don't have the Phonebook DVD and have only listened to people talk then yes you are a little lost. Period. There is no other resourse better than that. I learned a lot by getting it, and I'm not a phonebook guy.

I like Clay a lot, but he is not the authority on phonebooks. His article was good for the time it came out, for guys (including himself) trying to figure it out.

Finally, It doesn't matter if the tear starts from the top or bottom. This will vary even with similar techniques for different people.

-HH

Clay's second article is much better than the first if you haven't read it. I haven't viewed the DVD you are referring to so I can't offer an opinion on that but I'm sure it's quality stuff.

I don't do it alot but I guess I'm decent at it but it will become second nature before you know it.

Later,

Tim

I think one of the problems I am facing is that I am keeping my phonebooks in the garage. I live in South Florida and I honestly believe the humidity levels are making it much more difficult to tear, at least that is my excuse ;):blush;)