Anybody Bought Any Fbbc Stock Lately?

Tim71

Anbody bought any bastards, hexabastards or KOABs lately? I'm curious as to what I'd get if I ordered. I have some hexes that cal'd at 515 but I'd like to get some that are more middle of the road.

I'd also like to get some of the KOABs for WHEN I can bend one but I sure don't want to start off with those 780 pounds jobs.

Also, how does the current batch of bastards rate?

Later,

Tim

Okay, I was wrong, my last batch of hexes hit 530 instead of 515. I was thinking of something else. Man that's a whole new animal from the 485 ones.

Tim

Anbody bought any bastards, hexabastards or KOABs lately? I'm curious as to what I'd get if I ordered. I have some hexes that cal'd at 515 but I'd like to get some that are more middle of the road.

I'd also like to get some of the KOABs for WHEN I can bend one but I sure don't want to start off with those 780 pounds jobs.

Also, how does the current batch of bastards rate?

Later,

Tim

I just had my latest order delivered on August 8th. Some 7" Bastards, Hexabastards, Shiny Bastards, and MOABs. I had some 7" KOABs delivered (thanks to Travis Rush!) only a week or so earlier.

-Bastards are probably the 420 batch. I'm guessing that because I have Bastards at the house that are easier than this latest batch, and some that are quite a bit harder. I don't know if my Fantastics were cut from the same batch of steel as the 7" ones I'm estimating above though.

-Shiny Bastards feel like the normal 545 stuff.

-Hexabastards are definitely the Brutal Hexes, the ones that hit 530-535. They are considerably harder to kink than the Shiny Bastards. Tim, you ought to buy as many of these as you can afford. I bent one of each (not the MOABs or KOABs, lol) and the Hexes put up the best fight in my opinion. There is no "let off" in the entire range of motion like with the normal Hexes. I much prefer that with my new 7" focus. There will be many Shiny benders who will get surprised by the monster Hexes.

-KOABs are a little harder than the old batch I got (thanks to Josh!) a while back. I cheatkinked them and could tell a little difference that way even. I also think I ran into one of the 780 KOABs last night. I had been sent a package a few years ago that ended up getting dumped out onto my attic floor. I found the steel and know it's FBBC but I don't know who sent it to me, but I wish I did. I cheatkinked that KOAB and then had to check to see if it was somehow Stainless-304 but just didn't look like it. But it has the telltale nice FBBC rounding of the edges so I know it's a KOAB. I'll post a picture sometime this week of what crushing it down did to the back of my left hand. It's pretty interesting and I've never seen that happen before. I chalked my hands all over, including the backs of my hands, because I interlock my fingers and pull hard enough to feel my bones being rearranged. So I want the best grip possible. And I love chalk. I stripped flesh off my left hand knuckles (with my right hand's fingers) from pulling so hard and pushing into that KOAB to finish it off. Normally crushing down a KOAB from 3" to 2" or less is a routine crushdown for me. 10-15 seconds at most. Last night that KOAB took 5 different hits to take it from 3" to 1 and 15/16". I even rested 3 minutes between each hit. It was about as hard to crushdown as the few Huge KOABs I've crushed from the same distance.

Okay, I was wrong, my last batch of hexes hit 530 instead of 515. I was thinking of something else. Man that's a whole new animal from the 485 ones.

Tim

You're not kidding. The difference is really astounding. Doesn't feel like the same kind of steel and I don't think it is. I'd guess the new batch is CRS-1045 and the old batches were CRS-1018.

Wow, soon the hex and normal bastards will be stronger then the shiny's if this continues......... :ohmy

From what I have heard, the new Bastards are MUCH tougher than before.

The hard batch of Bastards are really incredible. They feel the same as the stock (Huge Bastards) that Josh and I traded for a while back. I've only done a 4.5" bend once with the super hard stock and it was right before I did the 4.5" bend with the 5/16" Drill Rod (O-1). The Drill Rod was a little harder, but not much. It calibrates lower than that 515 number at 7" (475) but it loads up more on the crushdown so I think that explains it.

That hard batch is tough enough that I think Eric said he hadn't heard of many even doing a Mag with that stock. I believe it!

These new bastards are TOUGH compared to the last batch I bought. Though, the last batch I had was the 420 batch so they were VERY easy compared to the norm.

Wow, soon the hex and normal bastards will be stronger then the shiny's if this continues......... :ohmy

That day is already here my friend. The Hexes that I just got are much harder to kink than a Shiny and they just don't let up anywhere in the entire range.

From what I have heard, the new Bastards are MUCH tougher than before.

Yea apparently they are. Mine should come in the mail today so I cant wait to see how hard they are

Good deal man. Look forward to hearing if you got the monsters then. They are usually darker than the easier ones, at least in my experience.

The toughest thing I ever bent was probably one of the newish bastards. I don't know if it was 515, but it was considerably harder than a 6.5" red (the 7" cal'd at 450). I think I could have taken down a 485 hex at that point, but I couldn't do more than minikink one of the brutal hexes :(

I noticed that about the hexes as well. When I last certed for FBBC, I was actually begining filming a hex bend and right off it suprised me but I actually got it kinked and into the sweep and probably got it to under 90 but I couldn't move it any further! That hex I got from you Ben, was all over once you got past the kink.

Yeah, this new hex acts like it's got stainless in it's blood or something. I've gotten a shiny further.

Ben, once a person can convincingly bend this new hard hex, how far is the 5/16 by 7 inch G5?

Tim

Ben, once a person can convincingly bend this new hard hex, how far is the 5/16 by 7 inch G5?

Tim

Well they only rate about 30 pounds off, but the Edgin is a good step harder than the Hex or the Shiny. I would guess that once you can bend a 6.5" Brutal Hex you should be able to do a 7" Edgin.