Some Good Bending Last Night

John4cars

At least it was some good bending for me! :D

Well yesterday I went to a local welding place and purchased a 24" leather welding apron. I was super excited last night to get home and start some bending. I stopped by Westlake and purchased some 3/16 and 1/4" drill rod and a large bolt cutter.

Man what a difference those pads make! I realize now how thin, soft and spongy the leather is that I purchased at Tandy. They obviously have awesome leather I just chose the wrong king. I was able to bend without all of the pain that I was experiencing with the other wraps. I realize after reading that John Beatty sells wraps. I didn't see them on the website or I would have ordered some. Sorry John! I still might by some wraps from you so I can see which work better for me.

Well I got started bending the 3/16" drill rod. I bent one 7", four 6", and one that was around 5 to 5 1/2". All were super easy, mostly just warming up with those. Then I bent two 8 twist timber ties. Then I tried the 60D again. I haven't been able to bend this since I first bent it at Ben's place. There must be something about the bending/grip aura in that garage. I recorded the 60D bend but after 7, yes, 7 minutes the camera ran out of memory and shut off. So I finally kink the bar at around 8 minutes then begin to crush it down. At that point I realized the camera lens was closed. After finding out what happened I was a little bit pissed. So I switched it to the internal memory and recorded a clip of the nail already bent. Oh well I will just have to bend another and get that on video. I then went to bend a 1/4 x 7" drill rod, pretty easy. After spending about 8 minutes on the 60D just attempting to get it to budge a light bulb went off in my head and I realized what I was doing wrong on the kink. Because within about 30 seconds after I had that epiphany I kinked the 60D then began the crush down. After the 1/4 x 7" drill rod I began bending the 1/4 x 6" that I was unable to bend past 3.5" at Ben's place. I was able to get it to about 1 1/2". I was pretty excited about that one.

All in all it was a good night of bending for me and I can't wait until my hands recover so I can go at it again. Wow, are the joints sore in my pointer fingers from bracing the bar!! I hope I'm not overdoing it. Is it pretty normal at first to feel that pain in the ligament/tendon part of the pointer finger that faces the thumb?

I will get some of the videos posted this evening or sooner.

At least it was some good bending for me! :D

Well yesterday I went to a local welding place and purchased a 24" leather welding apron. I was super excited last night to get home and start some bending. I stopped by Westlake and purchased some 3/16 and 1/4" drill rod and a large bolt cutter.

Man what a difference those pads make! I realize now how thin, soft and spongy the leather is that I purchased at Tandy. They obviously have awesome leather I just chose the wrong king. I was able to bend without all of the pain that I was experiencing with the other wraps. I realize after reading that John Beatty sells wraps. I didn't see them on the website or I would have ordered some. Sorry John! I still might by some wraps from you so I can see which work better for me.

Well I got started bending the 3/16" drill rod. I bent one 7", four 6", and one that was around 5 to 5 1/2". All were super easy, mostly just warming up with those. Then I bent two 8 twist timber ties. Then I tried the 60D again. I haven't been able to bend this since I first bent it at Ben's place. There must be something about the bending/grip aura in that garage. I recorded the 60D bend but after 7, yes, 7 minutes the camera ran out of memory and shut off. So I finally kink the bar at around 8 minutes then begin to crush it down. At that point I realized the camera lens was closed. After finding out what happened I was a little bit pissed. So I switched it to the internal memory and recorded a clip of the nail already bent. Oh well I will just have to bend another and get that on video. I then went to bend a 1/4 x 7" drill rod, pretty easy. After spending about 8 minutes on the 60D just attempting to get it to budge a light bulb went off in my head and I realized what I was doing wrong on the kink. Because within about 30 seconds after I had that epiphany I kinked the 60D then began the crush down. After the 1/4 x 7" drill rod I began bending the 1/4 x 6" that I was unable to bend past 3.5" at Ben's place. I was able to get it to about 1 1/2". I was pretty excited about that one.

All in all it was a good night of bending for me and I can't wait until my hands recover so I can go at it again. Wow, are the joints sore in my pointer fingers from bracing the bar!! I hope I'm not overdoing it. Is it pretty normal at first to feel that pain in the ligament/tendon part of the pointer finger that faces the thumb?

I will get some of the videos posted this evening or sooner.

Nice work! When I first started bending my index fingers, the middle of my palm to my thumb pad, and the actual bones in my hands hurt for the first month or two. :laugh I think the combination of my hands getting stronger and my wraps getting bigger are what helped. :) Keep it up.

Very nice bending John! Glad you got some quality pads too! Those make a huge difference as you are seeing. Very stout bend on the 1/4"X6" Drill Rod (O-1)!

Awesome job John!!! Keep up the good work man, now that you've got your form tweaked right the Prs will fall at a startling pace.

May I just say that the pads at FBBC are amazing!! If you want them for single wraps ask for the thick beige Leather. If you want them for doubles ask for the suede.

Awesome job John!!! Keep up the good work man, now that you've got your form tweaked right the Prs will fall at a startling pace.

May I just say that the pads at FBBC are amazing!! If you want them for single wraps ask for the thick beige Leather. If you want them for doubles ask for the suede.

Funny you should mention the wraps today. About 2 hours ago I emailed John about buying his bending bag for beginners as well as some of his wraps. I didn't know that he had different types of wraps. I think I just might have to buy both styles!

Congrats! That DR sure has a tough crush.

Good work on those bends. I had a bit of a struggle myself with the 60d in the beginning (this past March). Took me about a month to finally kill one but soon after I got my technique dialed in they went down quickly. Getting good wraps and wrapping the nails carefully is critical when attempting a bend that is near your limits. Later on you can wrap a 60d sloppy and it will give you fair challenge.

That is one of my biggest issues now, wrapping a nail. I can wrap a DR decently. But wrapping the nail on the end with the head is a total pita. I can never seem to get the wrap tight or even. I really need to have someone in show me again in person.

That is one of my biggest issues now, wrapping a nail. I can wrap a DR decently. But wrapping the nail on the end with the head is a total pita. I can never seem to get the wrap tight or even. I really need to have someone in show me again in person.

I had the same thing when I started. I started clipping the head. I think this is the only way to get a real tight wrap. Hopefully someone a bit more seasoned than me will chime in but a uniform end seems to be the only way to go. I have the Diesel Crew's bending ebook and I am pretty sure they advise to clip the head of a hex cap. I think this would be the same scenario. Again I am no expert, like many people on the board, but it seems like the answer to me. To wrap with the head on would seem like a progression.

I had the same thing when I started. I started clipping the head. I think this is the only way to get a real tight wrap. Hopefully someone a bit more seasoned than me will chime in but a uniform end seems to be the only way to go. I have the Diesel Crew's bending ebook and I am pretty sure they advise to clip the head of a hex cap. I think this would be the same scenario. Again I am no expert, like many people on the board, but it seems like the answer to me. To wrap with the head on would seem like a progression.

It depends, if you can wrap it tight then it adds an extra 1/4"-3/8" of leverage which is HUGE!! If not the loose wrap can make a hell of a difference. John, you'll need to have Ben show you, I can easily show you, but not via the internet :D I'd need to be in person.

It depends, if you can wrap it tight then it adds an extra 1/4"-3/8" of leverage which is HUGE!! If not the loose wrap can make a hell of a difference. John, you'll need to have Ben show you, I can easily show you, but not via the internet :D I'd need to be in person.

No way to film that? I need to get a continuing education class with some of you guys! I love to learn this stuff and I can't believe how much you guys know!

:bow :bow :bow

No way to film that? I need to get a continuing education class with some of you guys! I love to learn this stuff and I can't believe how much you guys know!

I suppose I could do a how to wrap nails video if some people want it. If you want it let me know here and I'll get on it this weekend before I have to get back to schoolwork :D Hahaha that'd be an idea, a grip training course, like Dennis Rogers' Strongman course. Hahahaha me and Aaron could do a duo teaching thing :laugh

I suppose I could do a how to wrap nails video if some people want it. If you want it let me know here and I'll get on it this weekend before I have to get back to schoolwork :D Hahaha that'd be an idea, a grip training course, like Dennis Rogers' Strongman course. Hahahaha me and Aaron could do a duo teaching thing :laugh

If you could get me bendin' bigger s*@t I would be willing to send a bit of TRUMP your way! HAHA!

Yes please!!! I would appreciate every possible bit of help with wrapping. That would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you've seen any of my bend videos, but I wrap differently from anyone else I've seen in that I prefer to hold the nail/bar up at face level instead of using a flat surface. With this method you are able to keep pulling the wraps tight as you go. It works well for me.

I don't know if you've seen any of my bend videos, but I wrap differently from anyone else I've seen in that I prefer to hold the nail/bar up at face level instead of using a flat surface. With this method you are able to keep pulling the wraps tight as you go. It works well for me.

I haven't seen them yet. I will look on youtube for them.

Your wraps will eventually form a spot where the head will fit in if you bend alot of nails. You can sit on the floor and put your foot on the end of the wrap to hold it really tight as you wrap also.

I so wished I'd learned early on the differences in wraps. I still have my super thin garbage wraps I used for my first 60d. No wonder I had tons of pain at first.

You'll go through phases too of experimentation. I've changed preferences several times on how thick I like my wraps and so on.

Anyway, really great job on those bends! That 6 inch drill rod bend is great. The crush on that stuff ramps up more than a nail or cold rolled bar.

Later,

Tim

I cut the heads off most of the time. That way you can wrap them tighter. Yeah you lose a little bit of leverage but the tighter wraps make up for it. Watch Booyah's videos a few times to see a super tight wrap. In person the best bar wrapper I've ever seen is Scott Harris (GetAGrip87). He ought to rent his services out at contests. I'm not joking.