Weakest Finger, Pinkie Close

Guest Bonzi

I assume that most of ya'll are weakest in the pinkie finger. My weakest

are the first and fourth(pinkie) fingers. duh, just noticed maybe

leverage could have something to do with it.

What grippers have you closed with the pinkie ONLY? I am still

a ways away from a store bought with the pinkie ONLY.

How do the "sport" and "guide" IM grippers compare to store bought

ones in strength for those of you that have bought 'em?

Edited by Bonzi

I would not risk it by going for anything near max with pinky alone, it is totally different matter to do the finger pair work though and all the other fingers are more stable alone as well. Besides risks, I see no added benefit to train the pinky alone.

Edited by Teemu I

I would not risk it by going for anything near max with pinky alone, it is totally different matter to do the finger pair work though and all the other fingers are more stable alone as well. Besides risks, I see no added benefit to train the pinky alone.

Why is the pinkie any different from any other weak body part that needs exercise?

I understand that is a WEAK link but if you can strengthen all four fingers and thumb

then a grip effort with all in concert will be a sweet thing as far as progress goes.

im by no means an expert on anything, id consider myself a noob when it comes to grip, but training individual fingers alone just means there is a higher risk of injury, than say with, targetting biceps alone, or any other bodypart.

if you want to strengthen the pinky you could always work it with the ring so you're using two fingers on a weak gripper (i used a cheap store one and still struggled) or do pinch work with those two fingers (this worked best for me, and had a nice carryover onto crush strength also.

Why is the pinkie any different from any other weak body part that needs exercise?

I understand that is a WEAK link but if you can strengthen all four fingers and thumb

then a grip effort with all in concert will be a sweet thing as far as progress goes.

For the higher risk of injury, because of the not so well developed motor control. It is much safer to train it with the ring finger, which allows you to actually train it harder. It can be compared to the usefullness of some isolation exercises vs. compound exercises. When more muscles work together, they enhance each others strength output. It also helps to that you are able to stablize the finger better if the one next to it is used as well.

Let's compare this to lateral raise vs. shoulder press. You don't build strength with lateral raise. Also with grippers when you are using even all your fingers, don't think that pinky doesn't come into play, it comes more than you would think at first glance. It is not always a sound approach to work on your weaker links by totally isolating them, it depends on the muscles and muscle groups we are talking about and in this case, it is not the best approach to train the pinky alone.

For the higher risk of injury, because of the not so well developed motor control. It is much safer to train it with the ring finger, which allows you to actually train it harder. It can be compared to the usefullness of some isolation exercises vs. compound exercises. When more muscles work together, they enhance each others strength output. It also helps to that you are able to stablize the finger better if the one next to it is used as well.

Let's compare this to lateral raise vs. shoulder press. You don't build strength with lateral raise. Also with grippers when you are using even all your fingers, don't think that pinky doesn't come into play, it comes more than you would think at first glance. It is not always a sound approach to work on your weaker links by totally isolating them, it depends on the muscles and muscle groups we are talking about and in this case, it is not the best approach to train the pinky alone.

thanks, Teemu. You are probably one, if not the, of the most committed and accomplished/knowledgeable grippers

on this board. How's the weather in Finland? I am constantly amazed at the strength feats coming

out of your country. I sure am glad you guys are not mad at us in the USofA. :rock

BUT, I still say to train, with isolation, weak muscles with caution. Also, how do lateral raises

NOT build strength? Since I have green eyes, I feel a little association with you guys.

Edited by Bonzi

Also, how do lateral raises NOT build strength?

I think Teemu was talking about how much you can lift in total will affect how much strength you can build. How much can you do for sets on the lat raise? 20 lbs? The lats may be an accessory mucle on the shoulder press, but it you're doing over 100 lbs as opposed to 20 (just an example) you will still build more strength than by lat raises alone.

I'll 2nd the "not worth the injury of risk" statement. Even doing RP work if I push to failure or use too much resistance I feel some weird twinges in my forearm. Probably has to do with the mechanics of how the hand actually closes.

Do some sensible IM and RP work and you'll be stronger in the long run and more apt to avoid injury.

I've closed the Trainer with just my pinky, but it is very risky and would not recommend messing around with it.

- Aaron

BUT, I still say to train, with isolation, weak muscles with caution. Also, how do lateral raises

NOT build strength? Since I have green eyes, I feel a little association with you guys.

You can build strength doing isolations like lateral or forward raises, but you'll build strength much faster with a compound exercise like a shoulder press or upright rows.

As for pinky closes, I find them very hard because you can't really keep the handle from sliding back towards the thumb.

Edited by Magnus

My point is simple: use your time for the most efficient things and do not take unnecessary risks. You can build up the strength for pinky better if you train it together with ring finger. If training the pinky alone would be the missing link in my training and it took me to my goals faster, I would certainly go for it. I used a slightly exaggerated example as I tried to clarify the point.

A couple of good ways to gain control to your pinky are the one handed towel rolls with a small towel, as John B. suggests and rotating the dexterity balls with your palm facing down.

Also thanks for the nice words!

Heath Sexton tore his pinky tendon by screwing around with a Trainer (or was it #1?) with just his pinky, enough said. It's WAYYY too risky to try to close a gripper with just your pinky, work with the bottom two, don't risk it.

I've never tried my pinkie finger only. Too risky for injury.

I have shut the TUG 6 with Ring & Pinkie finger right handed.

I did this in front of Acorn at the Show of Hands contest this year.

Tons of people are weak in these 2 fingers, especially arm wrestlers.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

I came close to my Sport with my pinky awhile ago. That being said, it wasn't a max effort and I wouldn't reccomend it. That was the first and last time I had messed with single digit stuff(closed the trainer with index alone :cool ). I like doing 2 finger closes better than single digit stuff.

You can build strength doing isolations like lateral or forward raises, but you'll build strength much faster with a compound exercise like a shoulder press or upright rows.

As for pinky closes, I find them very hard because you can't really keep the handle from sliding back towards the thumb.

I know its veering off the subject, but isolation exercises are bodybuilding techniques, not strength/powerlifter moves. If you want to build real strength, stick to compound exercises only. Read Dinosaur training by Brooks Kubick, he explains it nicely and actually discourages any isolation exercises ;) But, take it for what its worth and try for yourself ;)

There is a very high risk of twisting your fingers when training in isolation, the knuckle only has to move a degree or so out of the optimal plane and your strength is very significantly reduced allied to the fact that your finger has already started to twist, which in turn reduces the strength even further. This has a knock on effect and if it happens when you're almost shutting a gripper, you have 2.5-3" of more power than your compromised finger can cope with, twisting it out of shape! :ohmy

There is a very high risk of twisting your fingers when training in isolation, the knuckle only has to move a degree or so out of the optimal plane and your strength is very significantly reduced allied to the fact that your finger has already started to twist, which in turn reduces the strength even further. This has a knock on effect and if it happens when you're almost shutting a gripper, you have 2.5-3" of more power than your compromised finger can cope with, twisting it out of shape! :ohmy

Ouch!!!!!! :blink:blink:blink

Just thinking about training just my pinky with crushes has my pinky joint feeling unstable and weak. I am on the rink/pinky bandwagon on this one.