Mm Gripper Rankings

lloyd80s

I'm thinking of ordering some MM replicas from Tetting, I know the official ones aren't calibrated but I just wondered if anyone could tell me how feel In comparisim to COCs or BBs?

Is an MM2 level similar to an Elite or SE?

Of those I've had the chance to close, MM1 was like one of the harder #3's I have. MM2 in my opinion is somewhat easier than regular Elite. MM3 would be a Super Elite of the easier end of the spectrum. I bought a BBSE with MM3 specs from Sam Solomi and it came out as a spot on 3.5 on the CoC-scale, except that it feels harder to the hand as the thicker spring makes it harder than CoC #3,5's generally are throughout the ROM. The original MM3 is certainly harder than that, but that gripper is mutant that binds up harder than I have ever experienced on other grippers when the handles are 2 mm from closing. That is what I know of the originals and of one duplicate.

Keep in mind that the replicas vary as much as any other grippers and you might not get exactly what you are after. Just a reminder of that fact, not meant as a warning to stay away from the replicas, as with good luck you might get very suitable strength jumps.

Edited by Teemu I

Get your MM0 done 1st Lloyd. :tongue

How? I've got a clear video on youtube of me closing the #3, should that be ok or is my set too deep in this video? Or do I have to officaly cert on the #3 before I can get MM0?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qN1PEH8S5uM

I want to get up the MM lader this year, I'd be happy to be a MM1 by my birthday in January but only time will tell :D

The set on your video would not have been clear enough for the certification purposes, and you also grabbed your wrist during the close. Just a few pointers to you if you would want to make a new video of you closing the #3 and get your MM0 cert. For that, you need to send your video to Wannagrip first before making it public, that way you can get your MM0-cert if the judges approve the close.

Edited by Teemu I

Of those I've had the chance to close, MM1 was like one of the harder #3's I have. MM2 in my opinion is somewhat easier than regular Elite. MM3 would be a Super Elite of the easier end of the spectrum. I bought a BBSE with MM3 specs from Sam Solomi and it came out as a spot on 3.5 on the CoC-scale, except that it feels harder to the hand as the thicker spring makes it harder than CoC #3,5's generally are throughout the ROM. The original MM3 is certainly harder than that, but that gripper is mutant that binds up harder than I have ever experienced on other grippers when the handles are 2 mm from closing. That is what I know of the originals and of one duplicate.

Keep in mind that the replicas vary as much as any other grippers and you might not get exactly what you are after. Just a reminder of that fact, not meant as a warning to stay away from the replicas, as with good luck you might get very suitable strength jumps.

Thanks Temmu, I feel from what you've said that the Elite I have should be a good goal gripper for me as I know one I can close this then I should at least be able to hit MM1. I'm about 8mm from closing it at the moment so I still have lots of work to do :blink

If you are atleast that close, I would see it as a pretty good goal grippr to work with at that point.

How? I've got a clear video on youtube of me closing the #3, should that be ok or is my set too deep in this video? Or do I have to officaly cert on the #3 before I can get MM0?

I want to get up the MM lader this year, I'd be happy to be a MM1 by my birthday in January but only time will tell :D

You just need to state your intentions that you want to cert for MM0 in the Mash Monster area like others have before the video close is done and submitted to wannagrip. Make sure you read the rules posted in there as well and follow them.

- Aaron

The set on your video would not have been clear enough for the certification purposes, and you also grabbed your wrist during the close. Just a few pointers to you if you would want to make a new video of you closing the #3 and get your MM0 cert. For that, you need to send your video to Wannagrip first before making it public, that way you can get your MM0-cert if the judges approve the close.

Thanks for watching and giving comments, it's nice to get advice from someone that knows what he's saying :rock

This video is a few months old now and I know that I should be able to get a better video now. I'm also strong enough to close this #3 without holding my wrist now :D My hands are killing me at the moment from doing some crazy negs my #4 so I'm going to give it 4/5 days and then try and get a MM0 video sent to wannagrip.

You just need to state your intentions that you want to cert for MM0 in the Mash Monster area like others have before the video close is done and submitted to wannagrip. Make sure you read the rules posted in there as well and follow them.

- Aaron

Thanks man,

With all that's been going on in gripworld this week I'll make sure I read the cert rules and carry them out to the tee!!! :inno

I agree with Teemu on the MM1. It felt like a really hard #3 that would calibrate to around 162-164lb's.

C'mon Lloyd we know you're more than there! :rock:rock Do'it! :rock:rock

I had gotten a MM1 and a MM2 from Tetting, and they were about identical, both equivalent to my Elite, more or less. I traded away/sold the MM1, as I presumed it was a Mutant, kept the MM2.

So, yes, I strongly agree with Teemu's statement above!

Had a MM1 rep from Sam...gonna pop the pins out, drill out to 3.2mm and put a 4mm thread in and use a couple grub screws to help me, after a fashion :D

Lukeandaman,

Probably this gives us a little perspective on the difference between people's gripper ratings, but I'd say the MM1 is a 150-155, and 155 is stretching it. A pretty average #3, if you are used to the new 3's, or the ones before ironmind made them really damn easy for a stretch.

MM2 is definitely a bit easier than the elites that Warren is putting out now. 162.5-167.5 is what I would say. It was an average elite back a few years ago before Warren buried the spring on everything he sent out.

Lukeandaman,

Probably this gives us a little perspective on the difference between people's gripper ratings, but I'd say the MM1 is a 150-155, and 155 is stretching it. A pretty average #3, if you are used to the new 3's, or the ones before ironmind made them really damn easy for a stretch.

MM2 is definitely a bit easier than the elites that Warren is putting out now. 162.5-167.5 is what I would say. It was an average elite back a few years ago before Warren buried the spring on everything he sent out.

I have to bring up the difference oil makes here. Bob, you certified on the MM1 considerable amount of time before I did, for example. Back when I had it, the spring seemed very dry and I wouldn't certainly have given it a rating any easier than 3.2. Later on , when Matti certified on it, he told me that the spring looked dry and felt it's binding and said it felt about his true max that day and he was closing atleast a 3.25 #3 on his good days then. So I believe it had not been oiled very often. I said this because I understood that you were talking about the original MM1.

On this topic, of the BB/MM springs, does anyone know what the black coating is on Warrens springs? I love BBs and I really don't care how they look but the day I got my BB's I though WHF, they were all bashed up and looked 100 years old :D I use my BB's more than any of my other grippers now, I love them, I think the fact they look crap make them even more special to me now. I look at them as a pure gripping tool, just there to get me stronger. I've got a bit carried away with pretty grippers before, like the RBs, they were very nice to look at but I don't rate them anywhere near as good as BBs.

I'm not a gripper perv by the way :blush

Don't know...but looks like an oil quench finish. :erm

I thought they were supposed to be oiled? There was a problem like this a while back. The MM grippers should be oiled regularly, IMO.

I thought they were supposed to be oiled? There was a problem like this a while back. The MM grippers should be oiled regularly, IMO.

Indeed, I concur < <

What, BB's need to be oiled more than other brands of grippers? Is there a specific reason for this? It's weird but I've used COCs, BB's, RB's and HGs, the grippers that make least noise are the BB's. The grippers with the most noise are the COCs!

I've put WD40 on my COCs and it did seem to help with the grinding on them but the BB's seem fine as they are. Is there another reason to oil them other than to get rid of noise?

Rust will cause any gripper to bind up. In the case of the MM grippers, one of the grippers was far more difficult than it should have been- A person who should have closed a certain gripper couldn't do it or could barely do it. I think the gripper was oiled then was the appropriate strength.

Not being vague on purpose, I just don't recall the incident. Anyways, if you count on the gripper being the same exact strength every time, you should oil it before you send it out. It has nothing to do with it being a BB gripper.