What Is A Normal Gripper Spread?

matthcarl

Is there a standard spread size? And is that the most important factor in guaging difficulty? I see it mentioned a lot, but practiclly speakig I do not know what it means. Just for fun, here are the spreads on my grippers:

HG 100 - 2 1/2"

HG 200 - 2 9/16"

HG 300 - 2 1/2"

CoC #T - 2 7/8"

CoC #1 - 2 13/16"

CoC #1.5 - 2 13/16"

CoC #2 - 2 13/16"

Coc #2.5 - 2 7/8"

CoC #3 - 3"

RB 180 - 2 3/4"

RB 240N - 2.5"

RB 260N - 2 9/16"

In general 2.75. But BBs as of late have been more likely to be 2 5/8" and IM has been more like 2 7/8". And your HGs have probably been they still ususally start at 2 1/2" or a little less.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Your # 3 has a wider than normal spread. I bet it's a tough one.

:blush At my level the difference between a hard and easy #3 is pretty much irrelevant. But that leads to my other question...is spread the most important factor? My #2 doesn't have an especially wide spread, but is far harder than two other #2's I've closed.

:blush At my level the difference between a hard and easy #3 is pretty much irrelevant. But that leads to my other question...is spread the most important factor? My #2 doesn't have an especially wide spread, but is far harder than two other #2's I've closed.

Absolutely NOT!!!! I have a 2 7/8" #2.5 that cal'd at 124 and Paul has a #2.5 that's 2 5/8" that cal'd at 132 and is WAYYYY stiffer. I just got 2 #3s from Dennis ROgers (if you saw my thread you know) One was slightly over 3", one was a little over 2 3/4", I can't close either yet, but Aaron said the narrow one felt significantly harder. In general wider is harder, but due to spring variance it's not necessarily harder if it's wider. It's more likely, but not anywhere near definite.

Thanks Derek, that's kind of what I figured. I did see your post about the Dennis Rodgers #3's. Good luck closing those :D