Most Lifted With A #1 0r #3 Straphold?

verdigriz

Hey guys

Out of curiosity whats the most anyone has lifted or heard lifted with a #1 or anything higher with a straphold? It can be a lateral front raise or just breaking it off the ground..whatever. I know Heath has done some serious work with #3's but what about some of the lower COC's?

Cheers

Brendan

Hey guys

Out of curiosity whats the most anyone has lifted or heard lifted with a #1 or anything higher with a straphold? It can be a lateral front raise or just breaking it off the ground..whatever. I know Heath has done some serious work with #3's but what about some of the lower COC's?

Cheers

Brendan

I'm interested as well because I did strapholds for the first time last night. I felt rather weak, but i'm chalking it up to trying something new. I held up 10 pounds for 8 seconds using a #1.

Hey guys

Cheers

Brendan

I'm interested as well because I did strapholds for the first time last night. I felt rather weak, but i'm chalking it up to trying something new. I held up 10 pounds for 8 seconds using a #1.

I have lifted up 25ish kg with a #1 on my straplift set up, its easier to grab hold of the strap but harder to lift as theres a second tier weight (the bar) that comes into play.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFw36S5Xy8

Brendan

What sort of strap? makes a big difference. I haven't tried them for a while, but have done 5kg on a #2 using an old lifting strap and 10 secs with 1.25kg using a shoelace.

What sort of strap?

I think Brendan means a standard (thin) IM strap in good condition.

The most I've ever done/attempted with a #1 is a 20kg plate.

Dave

There is a standard strap check out Ironmind. Whats a straphold does is mimic the final part of a gripper close poundage wise with the ability to to make it harder. Its s concentration on the close!

Brendan

Well, you have to squeeze really really hard. It's similar to doing an overcrush, but slightly more progressive in that you can strive to microload the weight, so you know you're getting stronger.

On the other hand, it takes away from strength to take your time to insert the strap between the handles and you have to use a lighter gripper because of that. By that logic, I haven't trained on the strapholds but turned to using a harder gripper instead for regular overcrushes. Of course my experience on the strapholds is limited to very few tries so I can't say what kind of potential as a strength builder they have.

You can't start talking poundages until you standardize the strap used by everyone. That is a huge factor.

Very true! Another huge factor is tilt.

I love Strap holds and find them very useful. I use a very tough strap though, very thin piece of metal pallet strapping attached to nylon webbing for the plate. the thin metal slides out extremely easily as soon as you let up the slightest bit.

- Aaron

On the other hand, it takes away from strength to take your time to insert the strap between the handles and you have to use a lighter gripper because of that. By that logic, I haven't trained on the strapholds but turned to using a harder gripper instead for regular overcrushes. Of course my experience on the strapholds is limited to very few tries so I can't say what kind of potential as a strength builder they have.

I see that as a good thing. You're trying to build strength, not demonstrate it, so anything that makes it harder is a plus.

I just started doing SH's last week. So far I'm doing 10#'s for 10seconds, RH = filed #2, and LH = #2. Strap is 1/8" thick nylon that's 1" wide. Much easier to get into position then a shoe lace.

So far I really like them. 10seconds seems to be a good upper time limit as I've noticed when releasing after holding that long my hand is rather stiff and slow to open. Not a problem so far, but I'll be sure to monitor for signs of pain/injury.

I love Strap holds and find them very useful. I use a very tough strap though, very thin piece of metal pallet strapping attached to nylon webbing for the plate. the thin metal slides out extremely easily as soon as you let up the slightest bit.

- Aaron

I made a thin metal strap a while back, but never really used it. I'll have to dig it out now. Thanks for reminding me...

I see that as a good thing. You're trying to build strength, not demonstrate it, so anything that makes it harder is a plus.

I just started doing SH's last week. So far I'm doing 10#'s for 10seconds, RH = filed #2, and LH = #2. Strap is 1/8" thick nylon that's 1" wide. Much easier to get into position then a shoe lace.

So far I really like them. 10seconds seems to be a good upper time limit as I've noticed when releasing after holding that long my hand is rather stiff and slow to open. Not a problem so far, but I'll be sure to monitor for signs of pain/injury.

You see that is what I'd analyze more carefully here, as I feel that it might actually interfere with the strength level you are able to generate when the handles are touching. I'm talking about the possibility of wearing yourself out on the part of the ROM that means less. You have to focus on two things at once and it takes more time to set up for the straphold. I base this along the lines what I have wrote about CCS and how it should not be used so much as a set you train with. CCS makes it harder to actually close the gripper, but does it therefore mean that it is making it harder in way that is good for your strength development? I'm not saying those two would be the exact same things, just that they have similarities, which is why I'm not entirely convinced and haven't really trained on them. I have tried them and noticed how it would require a relatively light gripper to work with to avoid the pre-exhaust effect I talked about and have more weight hanging from the strap. So, as the logic is that you are building strength where the handles are touching with these by making that part harder, would it not be the same thing to just use a harder gripper that you overcrush? Not trying to get on anyones nerves here, but to discuss about the method, how it is used and what are the effects. Personally, I was thinking about having a serious go at them at some point not too long ago, but gave up on it as I felt there just is a limit how hard I can overcrush and thought that I might not be able to OC any harder with this method than I normally do anyway. But if you are making good progress with them, then it might be way better method than I think at the moment. Maybe I should give them that serious run sometime to better appreciate it, perhaps use a #3 for these.

Teemu,

Great response as always. IMO the advantage to strapholds is the ability to microload by adding a little weight to keep increasing resistance. Assuming it's the same as using a harder gripper to overcrush, what do you do after that gripper becomes easy? In the case of SH's you simply add a few more #'s of weight to make it a challenge again.

I think the biggest detriment with grippers is the huge jumps in resistance, so over the years many ways to try and overcome that have been devised. SH's are one of those and seem to be of value. Progressive resistance is the name of the game when it comes to getting stronger. With weights it's a lot easier to jump up in small manageable increments, with the grippers that's not always the case.

I still believe that making things harder is the way to go, so the small difference it makes to hold the gripper while you get the strap in place can only make you stronger as it requires more effort. And you only have to hold the gripper at a MMS or less to get the strap in place.

I also feel it's another tool in the arsenal to add variety and hit the muscles in a different way. Sometimes having renewed enthusiasm is all it takes to get past a plateau, so using SH's, NEG's, high reps, chokers, etc... are all of value at one point or another.

My main plan of attack is using the RGC and slowly filing grippers to keep increasing the resistance in small steps with some of the previously mentioned tactics mixed in for variety.

Teemu,

Great response as always. IMO the advantage to strapholds is the ability to microload by adding a little weight to keep increasing resistance. Assuming it's the same as using a harder gripper to overcrush, what do you do after that gripper becomes easy? In the case of SH's you simply add a few more #'s of weight to make it a challenge again.

I think the biggest detriment with grippers is the huge jumps in resistance, so over the years many ways to try and overcome that have been devised. SH's are one of those and seem to be of value. Progressive resistance is the name of the game when it comes to getting stronger. With weights it's a lot easier to jump up in small manageable increments, with the grippers that's not always the case.

I still believe that making things harder is the way to go, so the small difference it makes to hold the gripper while you get the strap in place can only make you stronger as it requires more effort. And you only have to hold the gripper at a MMS or less to get the strap in place.

I also feel it's another tool in the arsenal to add variety and hit the muscles in a different way. Sometimes having renewed enthusiasm is all it takes to get past a plateau, so using SH's, NEG's, high reps, chokers, etc... are all of value at one point or another.

My main plan of attack is using the RGC and slowly filing grippers to keep increasing the resistance in small steps with some of the previously mentioned tactics mixed in for variety.

good post Mike!

You see that is what I'd analyze more carefully here, as I feel that it might actually interfere with the strength level you are able to generate when the handles are touching. I'm talking about the possibility of wearing yourself out on the part of the ROM that means less. You have to focus on two things at once and it takes more time to set up for the straphold. I base this along the lines what I have wrote about CCS and how it should not be used so much as a set you train with. CCS makes it harder to actually close the gripper, but does it therefore mean that it is making it harder in way that is good for your strength development? I'm not saying those two would be the exact same things, just that they have similarities, which is why I'm not entirely convinced and haven't really trained on them. I have tried them and noticed how it would require a relatively light gripper to work with to avoid the pre-exhaust effect I talked about and have more weight hanging from the strap. So, as the logic is that you are building strength where the handles are touching with these by making that part harder, would it not be the same thing to just use a harder gripper that you overcrush? Not trying to get on anyones nerves here, but to discuss about the method, how it is used and what are the effects. Personally, I was thinking about having a serious go at them at some point not too long ago, but gave up on it as I felt there just is a limit how hard I can overcrush and thought that I might not be able to OC any harder with this method than I normally do anyway. But if you are making good progress with them, then it might be way better method than I think at the moment. Maybe I should give them that serious run sometime to better appreciate it, perhaps use a #3 for these.

In order to reduce that time and energy wasted trying to set the gripper and get the strap in there I usually use a choker on those. It also allows me to use a bigger gripper and less weight. I rarely go bigger than 2.5# on them. But with the thin metal strap it sure slides out quick as soon as I let up the tiniest bit.

- Aaron

Good posts Mike and Aaron!

Mike, I appreciate the analytical mind you obviously have and thanks for sharing.

I get the idea of microloading. It is always a good thing that is going to make you stronger if you can introduce it to your gripper training in one form or another. It's the idea behind the progressive distance choker training program I have used many times with good results as well, so I do think that microloading is a valuable thing to have.

I just came to the thoughts I had, as was already dominating the 182 lbs Elite I have and thought that it would be a good gripper to try this. But I felt I did not get that force peak going on as I was positioning the strap there, using MMS and closing the gripper on the strap from there. So I guess that was still a too hard gripper for me to be using on these. Now, I would want to know what to use as a guideline for choosing the gripper for these, with MMS?

I also think that using a choker on these might be a very good idea.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Teemu I

Pulled my ESD (Evil Straphold Device) out of the basement. Had a go with the #2 and 2.5#. Could only manage a few seconds righty. Lefty was no go.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7488

I call it evil because, like acorn, I prefer the thin metal to a cloth or nylon strap. It is much more difficult to hold on to. Today, I was able to get 7 seconds with the setup above (2.5 lbs) and my #2.

Teemu, your point is interesting. Hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I do alternate between strapholds with the #2 and my next harder gripper for negatives.

Pulled my ESD (Evil Straphold Device) out of the basement. Had a go with the #2 and 2.5#. Could only manage a few seconds righty. Lefty was no go.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7488

I call it evil because, like acorn, I prefer the thin metal to a cloth or nylon strap. It is much more difficult to hold on to. Today, I was able to get 7 seconds with the setup above (2.5 lbs) and my #2.

Teemu, your point is interesting. Hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I do alternate between strapholds with the #2 and my next harder gripper for negatives.

Yes, the point beeing that I think you should be able to generate as much power as possible when the handles are touching and if any factor wears you out by even just a little before the handles are touching, are you really targeting that last little bit in the most effective way. I have trained mostly on singles and tried to use as much force as possible where the handles are touching, while taking enough rest between the singles to ensure I'm as fresh as possible. I experimented with the shorter breaks on my choker work for example, but did not get as good a training effect as I did when I took longer breaks between singles. I feel the quality of the singles greatly improves that way and with this form of training I have mostly used for peaking with grippers, I did not go after any feel on my forearms, fatique was something I tried to avoid at all costs.

Edited by Teemu I

Good posts Mike and Aaron!

Mike, I appreciate the analytical mind you obviously have and thanks for sharing.

I get the idea of microloading. It is always a good thing that is going to make you stronger if you can introduce it to your gripper training in one form or another. It's the idea behind the progressive distance choker training program I have used many times with good results as well, so I do think that microloading is a valuable thing to have.

I just came to the thoughts I had, as was already dominating the 182 lbs Elite I have and thought that it would be a good gripper to try this. But I felt I did not get that force peak going on as I was positioning the strap there, using MMS and closing the gripper on the strap from there. So I guess that was still a too hard gripper for me to be using on these. Now, I would want to know what to use as a guideline for choosing the gripper for these, with MMS?

I also think that using a choker on these might be a very good idea.

Thanks guys!

Most of the time when I was doing them as a regular part of my workout I was using a hard Filed #3 with 2.5# and that metal strapand choker. I was shooting for longer holds though 10-15sec range. I've done SH with my #3.5 which is around that strength but it is pretty hard as you say to to get it setup good. A choker would definately help there.

- Aaron

If you first let the strap (ironmind specifically) hang off something (for example) the top of the strap just sits up so there is minimal stuffing around trying to place the strap inside the handles...a choker is an excellent idea acorn.

So back on track with the thread...what poundages max wise have yous used gents?