Forearms

Rick Walker

alright guys.  Since it is pushing winter here I have decided to try and add 5-10 pounds of muscle over these cold months to help with my biking/swimming/running.  I am back on a mass building program-which for me means 3X3 with super heavy weights of a main movement and 3X6 for 1 assistance movement.

I decided since I am trying to gain some lean, I would do forearm work.  Now, I have never done any type of forearm movements as I always thought they got stimulated through curls, deads, etc.  I would like to add 1.5-2 inches to my currently around 14 inch lower arms.

What kind of rep/set scheme have those of you with monster forearms discovered works best?

Today after gripper and pinch work I did 6 sets of 10 seated wrist curl with barbell, 6 sets of 10 seated reverse curl with B-bell, and 4 sets of 10 standing wrist curl.  They were so freaking fatiqued, I could not come even close to closing the #1 COC.  It was AWESOME!

Any ideas-

Rick Walker :hehe

When I was in the Marine Corps I did a lot of triathalon training (stationed in Hawaii).  The only way I could even maintain mass was to buy a small refrigerator and spend half my earnings on food and protein powder.  Secondly, I would add some serious thick bar work also.  Good luck, keep us posted.  Thats a lot of forearm mass to add in such a short period.

Yes-I eat about 8 times a day with about 400-450 grams of protein.

It is expensive but my step son shot a doe in black powder season so it just got much easier.

16" forearms?  I assume you have 8" plus wrists then.  Maybe you should aim for 24" arms to to stay in proportion.

How much  size have you put on your forearms since you started grip training?  I have managed 1/2" this year (14.25"-14.75").  16" would be my long term goal since my wrists are about 7-7/8".

Robert

Hi Rick,

I am back on a mass building program-which for me means 3X3 with super heavy weights of a main movement and 3X6 for 1 assistance movement.

If that's the way you gain mass on your body why did you choose to rep out your forearms like that? Any special reason?

Thanks

RSW-grip training hasnt added much-maybe .5 inch.  Why do my wrists have to be huge?  I know many bodybuilders with wrists thinner then mine and huge, veiny forearms.  Of course, they arent functional-but ####, they do look impressive!  People put way to much stock in that whole genetics thing-

Herk-my wrists are awful and there is no way I could handle enough weight to ever be maxed at 3 reps.  Chalk it up to fractures in both wrists as a teenager.  So, I train them bodybuilder style-cant do it any other way.  Even reps of 8 are quite painful.

Thanks for the responses-

Rick Walker

:hehe

I'd suggest adding a wrist roller to your routine.  It was a favourite of Grimek's and that guy had massive forearms and wrists.  I've rigged up an old piece of pipe (2inch diameter) and I run my safety bar through it at the top of my power cage -stand on my bench for a long roll up both ways.

-Jon@han

You don't need drugs.  Heavy wrist curls and lots of good protein will help those forearms of yours to grow!

If you plan to add that much size to your forearm you're definitly gunna have to add alot more mass everywhere else.

As I'd recommend for any mass problem, 20-rep squats. I also agree the wrist roller is a good bet to.

Mass in the legs aint the problem-they are pushing 30" now and I am about 205.  That is where most of my weight is-

My bodyfat is around 7-8% now, which is where I would like to keep it.  Dont really care how much I weigh as long as the fat% is down.

Mass has never been a problem-I truly believe I could be 300 pounds if I wanted.  I have a slow metabolism.

I am set as far as a program goes-my body responds well to heavy weights and low reps-it has worked as of now.  I am coming off a long layoff so I am growing like a weed right now.  The problem lies with forearms.  Cant go heavy without severe wrist pain so a bodybuilders routine is a must.

As far as heavy drug use goes-you are way off track man.  My buds a lifetime drug free bodybuilder and his forearms are jacked!

Thanks again-

If you want to get that bulked vascular look to forearms you have to work them  to fatigue with a good number of set, the other 50% is genetics, some people have small forearms, some large, low body fat also makes forearms look better.

Just some random thought s and ideas and observations:As others have said much overall body  mass will probably be needed for that big of an improvement .I think a lot of overall arm size too (bis and tris.)will make it a bit easier?

Lee Priest has massive forearms and supposedly does them on a seperate day from his regular arm work out.Who knows?i read it in FLEX magazine and i don't know if it is a real work out or just something they made up?...however in the last issue of the mag(nov 2002). indicates that he trains his forearms seperately.(take all the drugs out of it Lee DOES have massive arms and Massive forearms.)

A thought might be do do Arms(bis and tris) on a seperate day from other bodyparts??Hit tri's first and then bi's hard. After YOUR regular bicep work out hit very heavy hammer curls,followed by reverse curls(reverse preachers?) and then followed by your wrist curls and reverse  wrist curls and Then by YOUR usual grip work/wrist work and even more extra forearm work.

Working the entire arms(again seperate from other bodyparts)might? really shock them into some growth.And the added bis and tris will probably indirectly add more forearm size?

A guy in our gym- Sean MCCabe- has massive arms and although big forearms are NOT important to him...he has them.He does very heavy Hammer Curls ..up to 125's AFTER he does his strict bicep work.To me his approach(hammer curls last)seems 'out of sequence'but it inadvertantly works for him?He also does this funky reverse preacher curl on a cable machine...as he does them you can see the strain it puts on his forearms.They are really a difficult exercise and despite having some strong guys in the gym he does them with almost twice as much as anyone else.The cable machine reverse preacher are very awkward...the tension is on the forearms through out the move ment..there is no way to cheat and no way to build up any momentum.He does a lot of sets and reps on all his arm work..and it appears to work for him.He does NO grip work but has a very good grip too.

(I do a similar arm forearm work out and although i'm younger than him i am only able to do half the volume and 'work'that he does...genetics are much in his favor)

Unfortunately-although hard work can overcome much-it is still a 'ma and pa'sport..................who your parents were and/or genetics..to a point anyway.

:angry:

i'm in the same boat with you on the wrist curls rick.  although, mine has nothing to do with previous injuries, i just have weak little girly wrists.  i recently had to drop the weight and up the reps because i was getting a nagging pain in my right wrist, this has helped a lot.  since then i've SLOWLY started to add weight, but i still try to keep the reps in the 12-20 range.  oh yeah, in the past trying to do forced reps or really squeeze one last rep out has killed my wrists.  i have to keep this in mind and terminate my set when i know i can't do anymore in perfect form.

Guest Jeff Roark

Rick,

I had a buddy in the Marine Corps who had the largest forarms I have seen on a man. He was 5'4 around 185. His big thing was heavy incline hammer curls. He said standing didn't do it for him, but incline ones kicked his ass. He also done some basic wrist curls. I think also Rick that many miss two other sides when training for size. They always work the up and down but not the side to side movement of the hands. Maybe some high rep lever work could give you development all the way around along with your other stuff. Hope this helps.

Roark,

I met a former bodybuilder that was featured in a MAJOR bodybuilding magazine.The issue he was featured in was back in  the eighty's. He showed me the issue that he was featured in.He indicated the work out they wrote up in the magazine was NOT his at all and that some of the quotes were not his and that he used none of the products that they said he did.He indicated most of the article was fabricated.The article was made to seem very exciting and that his work out was very innovative.He indicated that at the time he felt used but in retrospect it was humorous.

So,having discussed this -face up-with a person that was in a magazine*and having heard his experience it makes me think that it is possible- that what was written about Mr.Priest- in FLEX-  was made up by the author...OR,I guess it is  ALSO possible the work out was from Mr.Priest and that the article was in fact accurate.

Having heard this from an athlete that actually was in a magazine and having him state that the article on him-especially the work out-was NOT accurate -leads me to making the clarification that I did.

An internet report could also be fabricated but in a forum like this what would be the motivation?A magazine 'might'be motivated to make something up to SELL magazines and products and to make things more interesting than they really are?A post on the internet that was fabricated would gain NOTHING.

Long story short an internet offering has very little to gain.

A well written article in a magazine,fabricated by an experienced writer can sell magazines,products and even indirectly promote the athlete.A fabricated story in a magazine would also save the author the time and trouble of an actual interview.

To me thats why it differs........on the other hand maybe Lee Priest does train his forearms on a seperate day from his arms ;) and maybe that is why they are so big? :blush

Although I know nothing of the example you offered from,

what, 15 years ago, I do know current management at

Flex, and I believe, no I know, matters are not that way

now.

There are some current internet gurus who are motivated

by fleecing the gullible by renaming old methods, and

pretending recent discoveries.

These internet gurus so far have not appeared in Flex.

I also spent about 15 months in southern cal.(which is where i met the gentleman that showed me his article..because I am in a grey area I won't mention his name -but suffice to say the won the NPC Cal.which is often featured in the mags)

I stayed with a friend in Santa monica.I worked out at Golds in venice and occasionally at World gym.I did observe some relatively well known bodybuilders working out and as a yokel kid from iowa I asked lots of blunt questions...and because of my 'yokelness' got away with it.

I will say that most of the guys stayed with the basics and weren't doing anything too fancy.Thats not to say anything i have read is false...just the work outs i SAW were all pretty basic and often weren't reflected in an article that i would read on same athlete.Off season many of these guys were stronger than i think most people realize but at the same time some of the poundages i have seen claimed in bodybuilding magazines are OFF and apparently EXAGERATED.Sure a guy can have an off day or when in contest training and carbs are depleted a bodybuilder will lose considerable strength.But i was there long enough and frequently enough to know who was strong and who wasn't.Some lifts or claims that I've read -in some magazines -were at best incorrect.If the poundages the article reports is false why would I believe the rest of the story.(i am NOT referring to FLEX)I also witnessed a photo session where the dumbells were lifted up and handed to a seated bodybuilder..to make it look like he was pressing them....he dumped them and couldn't have pressed them on his best day.

I  also will say that this bodybuilders story(the MR. Cal that disputed the article in the eighties) is always at the back of my mind when I read any article on a current bodybuilder.Perhaps i have a jaded outlook on the magazines.Whenever money or sales are important the truth will get stretched.  

On the other hand- obviously- i thought enough of this article on Lee Priest's arms/forearms to at least bring it up...also my off the cuff(and perhaps unwarranted)remark about Flex was just that...a smart remark.

i.e."i don't know if its his real work out or if they just made it up?".

Also(i have read your article in that issue)this is NOT to doubt anything you have ever written.Obviously you take validating history more seriously than most writers?

Tom Of Iowa2,

Do you have a website?  You have a LOT to say... very interesting, and you're very knowledgeable about weight training.  Either you have a website (that I don't know about), or you could start your OWN message board!!  :)

naaahhh!I've just been lucky enough to see a lot of things happen and observed a lot and remember it.(sometimes incorrectly perhaps -but usually pretty well?)I've been in the right place at the right time- to at least see and meet some freaky strong people.I am a FAN of all aspects of the Iron game and am a work in progress myself.(I'm 6'1"and have gained about 50lbs of lean mass since 98..I'm getting pretty big..yet I remember meeting so many bigger and stronger-body builders-powerlifters and strongmen- that it pushes me on and keeps me humble..I am nothing)

I got lucky and after just graduating from highschool was taken to the Strongest Man Alive practice sessions  in 98 and witnessed some things that changed my perspective on strength(or what IS strong)I then witnessed(right here in Burlington)a very cool strongman contest called Survival of the Strongest in '98.This happened to be the first contest EVER for Phil Pfister,Tony Scrivens,Bryan Neese,all went on to be "pretty good"pros?Whit Baskin also competed in this contest.I thne went to strongest man alive in 98.WOW.What a feak show(thats a compliment)The promoter of the Iowa contest got me a job at a health food store in at Southern Cal.and i took a couple of classes at Santa Monica city college and got to hang out at Golds and Worlds gym and work out(of course)>meeting and watching bodybuilders at a high level and as just another 'kid' heard and learned alot.

I am -of course-back  in Iowa,just outside of Burlington.Burlington is a 'central'location.I went to all the jim Davis pro strongman shows in St.Louis,plus some of the amateur shows- A lot of the evolution of american strongman happened in the midwest..many of the biggest american shows were just 4 or 5 hours away.

We also have about three genuinely freaky athletes here in town...Also An ex NFL er John Earle(5 years in NFL) works out here regularly.And for a few months in 2001, Ken Blackman,now retired,formerly of the Bengals and 1 year with Tampa bay worked out here.HE IS MARRIED TO MEDUSA,former WWF wrestler and still trainer for them..and she drives monster trucks.By just being around these guys and listening!! i feel i learned something.And they have all seen ALOT-add that to the crazy feats of strength that i've also seen?I'm more of a listener in person...so I remember what was said or i remember what i saw.

I recently became more interested in grip strength and began training my own grip.It is fascinating.I am now a fan!

I have made some good contacts and will be useing them to put on a great contest.I think getting a good group of grip experts,strongmen,former NFL'ers and maybe some unknown freaks will turn it into an exciting EVENT/CONTEST.We want to have some good prize money and generate MORE fan interest!The big guys and the mix of grip athletes could make the sport interesting and i've got two former 'promoters'helping me out.

I have just been fortunate to see(in person)so much and have learned something about every aspect of the iron sport.i am NOT an expert though..just a fan..and at best a mediocre participant.

I also spend too much time reading ALL the strength journals and magazines that i can get my hands on(haven't subscribed to the grip magazine yet though)and i watch too much TV.A friend of mine has most of the WSM tapes from the old days plus some odd ball strongman stuff he bought from Milo.You watch,you learn and hopefully remember?

As usual?too long of a post.i just post what comes to mind.Someone posts something and it remeinds me of something else...

:hehe

Sybersnott,

Regarding the Strongest Man Alive contest,a lot of people aren't that familiar with it.i had a floor pass so hung out in the athletes area...well since i was a twerp i didn't really hang out..i sat around and watched and listened...

The judges for this contest were:Magnuss Ver Magnusson,Bill kazmier and Phil Martin(7th WSM in '97)

The participants?well there were 50 heavyweights on day one.Monsters and giants..someof them.including 6'7 1/2 400lb Doug Ahr.6'4"440lb.Phil Makidisi(more muscle mass than anyone alive on this planet -he is lean at 440i would think although did not make it to finals)6'2 510lb .These weights are real weights.There was a weigh in(i might be off with Ahrs weight though)Youko Ahola won the contest.phil Pfister was second.Bryan Neese was 3rd.Whit Baskin 4th.

I don't remember all the other placeings but i think Jeff Maddy was 9th and Pat Rankin 10th.It was a rather large group of large individuals and many very strong people there.It opened my eyes...but 15 months in southern cal was pretty coll too.Saw some crazy strength there too....anyways i was lucky to live close enough to see all of this...

Rick,

Then to add ONLY mass to your forearms, and such a substantial size without adding lots of size to the rest of the body seems almost impossible. In my experience and studies it would go aginst most of what I know to be true about strength, muscle size and body structure. Now I'm not saying it's impossible (although I think it is), I'd like you to keep us all updated on how it goes.

3 weeks ago i started using a wrst roller, ( with a 2 inch pipe), and doing some levering with a sledge hammer, ( holding the hammer end n front of me and in back of me), and i have noticed real good gains! lets just say my wife has been looking at my forearms alot lately! :)

Guest CalvinP

My outter forearms have always been a weakest link. I have very decent inner forearms, but lately I've determined that's it, no more weakest link. And within 3 weeks I can see 1/2" increase measured cold. First time my forearms begin to rival my upper arms in size, Certain angle it look bigger than upper arm. I am very happy with this quick result guys. And I did not even get to the wrist curl yet. But I did a lot of twisting curls with dumbell loaded to one side. Be careful guys! this can blast your forearm like never before, fat bar and plates curl work too, and with wrist curls I am adding this week, I hope I can see the arm-wrestling goal in 6 months in Louisianna. Speaking of arm-wrestling, I went to a local meet in Conroe TX this weekend to observe. As my forearms're still very sore I did not participate, however I did pull with two contestants in a friendly match out of sheer hunger for pulling, soreness or not! I managed to beat both of them, one was the winner. I can't wait for the healing to start serious arm-wrestling again. and what i did not share with them was I am a gripper board member. Hey! I have got to keep my tactical advantage, right guys? Long live the grip board, hurrah! I'll keep you guys posted, thanks