Is gripper the bench press of hand

Guest CalvinP

Guest CalvinP

I read about some of us complaining about being able to close #2 or #3 yet in a hand shake. Those working-hand type guys have upper hand in contest. So it seems like a pure strength of hand that can close a #2 or #3 is not translated into functional strength against other human's hands. Just like bench pressing strength doesn't mean you can push another guy backward in a contest. People doesn't always know this, so closing #3 still intimidating though! A wow factor still!   :D

Hi Calvin,

So it seems like a pure strength of hand that can close a #2 or #3 is not translated into functional strength against other human's hands

I agree with you that this strength is not totally translated but i think it is partially translated though. Since i begun my grip training my handshake is far stronger than it used to be (i only tested it on my brothers' hands off course ;) ).

Guest CalvinP

I agree gripper work makes your hands stronger noticely. But some of us have said having a under-hand against another human hand, whose the only exercise was working on a job. My thought was the muscles that squeeze the gripper is not neccesarily all the same one ones that use in a squeezing a human. Where your hand is being squeezed back too, so there must be other muscles involve in such activity. If only some of us would invent a gripper that squeezes you back

I think the gripper concentrates on the final closing strength when the hand is almost a clenched fist.  A handshake is more like the beggining of the sweep.  Maybe thick bar training is better for your handshake than grippers.

I disagree that the benchpress does not build functional strength, although I do think the military press has more real world significance.

Robert

Training the grippers, in my experiences, does translate to functional strength on the "field".  I have been training grip since January, concentrating on the grippers, and I have noticed a huge improvement.  When I am forced to use my hands for soemthing, I feel much stronger.  I played a pick up football game a couple weeks ago and got the ball carrier by his sweatshirt with my left hand.  He was quite a bit lighter-around 160-but I managed to stop his full speed run, swing him around and slam him off the ground with a single hand.  I truly believe without proper grip training-this would not have been possible.  I would have lost my grip and he would have scored.

I don't shake many hands but my close friends and I usually can put them on their knees.  It is all dependant on how you grab the hand.  If they grab up close to my thumb joint-I can't squeeze at all.  If they slip and dont think and grb me normal-I make them pay.  It is all in good fun.

As far as the discussion on the bench press goes-it is my belief that this is all dependant on power-not strength.  You may be abe to bench 600 but if you train slow, and gradually cause more and more neurons to fire, more and more fibers to start working, and you grind it out slow-when you are on the football field and have to react fast to pass block-you are only going to fire about 30-50% of that strength.  So, that 600 pound bench only equates to a 300 pounds of pressure pass block.  But, if you train fast-mixing up pure strength with power-you will have trained your body to fire maybe 80% all at once and you will dominate!  Tha is why I use Westside with all my athletes-and it pays off.

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest CalvinP

I agree with you about military press. I read somewhere  on the net some trainer do not even have a bench press in his gym, and he is one of a more famous trainer. I tend I agree with him. By the way, what is westside?

Have any of you ever play this game: Two men stand facing each other shoulder square (right leg in rear)  body straigth up with right fists touched knuckle to knuckle. Arms at 90 degree angle. Then without leaning forward try to win by pushing your arm. The winner is the one hwo can extend his arm first. the gap between 2 men is about the length of 2 forearms. Usually if you succeed in extend your arm against his, his front foot 'll be lifted. The rule is NO LEANING FORWARD, because you have to win by extending your arm, leaning forward with your body is a indication of losing your game. Now you don't have the bench to back you up, just man to man, there you'll see if all that bench press's gonna help you in real life. However  bench press builds pecs

Interesting comments folks...while I have next to no experience with the grippers I'll torture you with my observations just the same.  I won't debate about the specific muscles used in crushing a hand gripper and it's relatedness to other grip stuff.  What I would like to add is that training them has to help toughen the hands for other training.  After training to close the #3 your hands have got to be pretty #### tough.  

Jon@han