Bradjohnson

Guest BradJohnson

Guest BradJohnson

I have recently discovered that I have a proficiency for pinch grip chins on rafters. My current best is 11 on two rafters 36 inches apart. I have a goal of pinch grip chins with both hands on one rafter. The closer the grip, the harder the chin-up. Does anyone know of any records for this feat? The best I have found is Al Berger who did 12 with bodyweight, 6 with BW + 10pounds, and one with BW + 43 pounds. I think that I can surpass all of these and would like to know if anyone has heard of anyone that has done more than Al Berger,

Thanks,

Brad

Brad,

Get some pics of you doing these rafter chins!  Thanks!!  :)

Hi,

well done on your great achievements!

I was wondering: how much do you weigh?

also: how much can you pinch grip with 2 hands?

As for records, I believe the rafters' texture make a lot of difference, so its probably not so easy to compare with others unless you use the exact same rafter. The rafters I use have become smoother and smoother (with the chalk) and they are now much harder than before.

Judging from your ability to do rafter chins with 2 rafters, you can probably do a partial chin on a single rafter. How far down do you start? I can do one if I start with my arms slightly flexed (about 120°)

Starting further down each time should be good training.

Similarly, starting from arms fully extended and trying to get higher and higher is good (hard though).

train hard

david

On page 215 of Willoughby's The Supe Athletes, "Henry Sincosky (67 in., 175 lbs.) could chin on rafters about 18 inches apart".

A few pages later (217) Willoughby notes  that "Walter Metzler (c. 170 lbs) could do a pinch grip chin on two 2-inch thick rafters while carrying a 75 pound barbell platehanging from his waist". Hope this helps.

Mark

Guest BradJohnson

Hi David,

I have not tried 2 hand pinch gripping but I am going to make a device to do this with. I weigh 145 pounds and I can pinch 65 pounds with each hand.  I saw the picture of you on the single rafter.  Very impressive! I think that I will need to improve my pinch grip max before I'll be able to hang from a single rafter as I utilize quite a bit of pec strength pushing into the 2 separate rafters. On the two rafters 36" apart I start with my arms just slightly flexed (around 160 dgrees).

How did you work up to the single rafter pull-up? I would love to be able to do that some day!

Thanks!

Brad

Thanks for the kind comments!

I used a rafter apparatus, where my rafters are about 10-15' appart (you can see them on my pic) so that I could not use too much pec power during the first part of the pull-up. Also, I used non-polished wood so that the grip was better. Then, working out on it, it slowly smoothed out.

By the way the max number of pull-ups I ever did on the apparatus was about 5, even though I didn't train for reps.

I would rather try to do holds with arms fully extended, or low reps.

Also, I cannot do a rafter pullup with thumbs on the same side of the rafter: As I get higher, i just seem to lose my grip!

train hard

david

Awesome. I can't even comprehend doing a rafter chin-up at 280lbs. What is the most that anyone has done? BW+Added weight on a single rafter? How much did Al Berger weigh?

Jason

Guest BradJohnson

David, good call on Nick McKinless.  It is much more impressive with someone his size. His grip strength has got to be off the charts!

Jason, Al Berger weighed around 190 when he did this. I am not sure what the most reps on two rafters are but the most I've heard was 12.  I imagine that more have been done by someone though. I am not sure about the most on a single rafter with added weight.

Brad

Guest Harlan Jacobs

A few years ago, I seen a guy on TV that was a park ranger at some National park. They showed him doing some free climbing where he looked like spiderman allmost running up this wall. They also showed him doing chins on on a board that he had a 1/2 or 1" notch cut in for his fingers to go in. I think he could also do them with 1 hand. I might be wrong,( don't tell my wife I said that ) but I belive he was a freestyle climbing champion.

His name was Dan Osman and he was an amazing climber and all round athlete. Many of the top climbers will do things that would blow even the top grip guys away.

I have seen a climber (quite possibly the late Wolfgang Gullich) doing 1 finger 1 arm chins in Camp 4 in Yosemite (around 14 years ago) and it was inspiring. Also seen on video Ben Moon doing a one arm dyno on a campus board (like a one arm chin and then 'hopping' up 4-6" to a higher rung!). Many more amazing things I have heard and seen in the climbing world.

Nick

Guest 115-1005574997

Nick

it always inspires me to see great climbers in action

you know of any vids that show such feats?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.....ID=7652

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.....ID=8007

shredcity!  (Just like david  :D )

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.....ID=7961

phew!  now i remember why i like climbing  :blush

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.....ID=7964

To all you rafter pinchers:

Have any of you read the Keys To Progress by John McCullum(spelling?)  I bet you get a kick out of his comments on grip training...as he thought the rafter pinch pullup was an impossibility  :D

Way to go guys!!!  

Jon@han