Entertainment with hand strength

bender

Hey everybody, does any one else have any interesting stories about grip strength and using it to entertain friends, co-workers and strangers?  I know Tom Black mentioned the pile of bent objects on his desk, so he(you) must have some good stories.  

Personally, I work as an executive officer in a Basic Training company for the Army, and at every chance, I entertain the scared little privates who are stationed at guard duty out side of our headquarters.  I step out side and hand them a few 60d “easy” timber ties, some 3.5” galvanized 20d and 16d nails, and an IronMind yellow bar.  Then, assuming the role of an officer, give them a motivational speech about commitments, goals and the difference between gym strength and functional strength.  Of course it’s done, all while “U-ing” all the nails and leaving each private with a souvenir.

You know, it may be silly, but it blows these young men away; jaws open, stares of disbelief.  Over all, it’s been an incredible experience to have an effect on these new recruits.  Their Drill Sergeants train them hard and yell at them all day long, and then in our off time, I get to have an impact on these kids lives.  Besides, it just makes you feel great. :D

Does anyone else have similar experiences?   If so, please share.

I did a few strength demonstrations for my grade 3 students.

I bent nails, tore decks of cards, curled a chair by the back rest and ...  closed grippers.

In bars, I sometimes perform this little pinch feat. Grab an empty beer bottle by the top with only your thumb and index. Then, hold it horizontal to the floor. Sounds easy but it is VERY difficult. Only me and my stronger than strong friend did it. Everyone else fail ... and drop the bottle on the floor.

Guest CalvinP

I am new in grip game, but for years, tearing phone book is my bag of trick. I am talking about 2"-21/2" white pages. It intimated the men and wowed the women (I got 3s for it). The fact is my hands small (wrist 6.1/2"  7.1/4" long) always win me bet. Soon I hope I'll incorporate those gripper and pinching wow factors into it. I love to bet agaisnt those body builder guys whose muscles aren't really functional

In bars, I sometimes perform this little pinch feat. Grab an empty beer bottle by the top with only your thumb and index. Then, hold it horizontal to the floor. Sounds easy but it is VERY difficult. Only me and my stronger than strong friend did it. Everyone else fail ... and drop the bottle on the floor.

Ok, I am intrigued. I just don't see how that can be hard. No I haven't tried it yet. But I will tonight. Is there something I am not seeing? The bottle can't weigh more than a pound.

To clarify for the mudslingers, I don't doubt that it's hard. I trust Tous word. What I am saying is that I just don't see how it can be hard. Thus will experiment.

I will report back tomorrow.

[edit out the quote part not related to the feat]

My grandfather always talks about when he was young and strong he'd show off to the girls at the market.  One day he decided to lift 10 orange crates (full the old wood kind) in a big stack.  He heaved them up in front of the gals, walked them over to place them on another stack and got his bag caught between the two stacks!!!!!!

He also likes to tell the tale of squatting with a stupidly insane amount of weight infront of some girls and getting stuck in the bottom after expelling a large amount of gas!

Or how about a work story to impress all:

One of the geriatric patients on my ward once broke a staff member's hand by squeezing it!

Jon@han

Perfect timing!

At school yesterday there was a "Health Fest" sponsored by the college of health professions.  They have stands for various testings for things like body fat, carbon monoxide, stress levels, etc.  One of the stands had testing for none other but grip strength.  :)

The girls running the stand lit up when I crushed over 180lbs.  They were so amazed they were calling their friends over to see.  They said my strength was far above average and the highest they'd ever seen.  They really made a big deal about it and I must say it felt pretty good... especially after visiting the bodyfat stand.   ???

They also had a pinch grip tester that I dominated as well.  Before leaving I had to check back with them to see if anyone had surpassed my scores.  They didn't.

Note on my trick : only the tip fo the thumb and index can grab the tip of the bottle. You can't grip over the place where the cap is. If you grip it with full thumb and index, it is very easy. Try it with your fingers only on the cap thread.

Try it with your fingers only on the cap thread.

That's the ringer. Using about about a ¼ of an inch of bottle it is easy. But anything under that became quite hard. And undoable for me.