793.75 lbs deadlift

Roark

For those who do not have the book Goerner the Mighty. Here

is some text about the 793.75 lbs two hands deadlift. Keep in

mind the book was written about 50 years ago:

This is believed to be still the highest poundage lifted in the orthodox style. It was performed by Hermann in Leipzig on 29th October, 1920, using an ordinary 'Berg' barbell. It is interesting to note that the bar was lifted with an overhand 'hook' grip and not the more usual reverse grip used by most lifters when executing the double-handed dead lift.

Also the one hand deadlift:

Officially Hermann has performed a right-hand dead lift with a barbell of 663-1/2 lb. (301 kilos), which was lifted on 29th October, 1920, in Leipzig.

Both these lifts took place 82 years ago today when Hermann was age 29-1/2, and they occured in the sequence described

above.

793.75 lbs without steroids...

I remember that Jeff Everson thought that using steroids for 10 (15 ?) years could increase your PRs up to 25% .

That would be a 991lbs deadlift.

Amazing.  :0

Joe, what is your opinion concerning Apollon's ability in the deadlift. Are there any clues ?

Offhand, can't recall Apollon performing deadlifts as

a strength demonstration.

In my opinion, it was his opinion, that the deadlift was

an incomplete lift.

Also, other than holdouts, he always put the weight

overhead.

I believe he did an impromtu one hand deadlift of around 500 lbs . Edmond Desbonnet asked him if he could pick up a weight consisting of two bells attached by a bar.I think Desbonnet meant that he use two hands and was amazed when he used just the one !!

Chris

I would think that his ability to clean the Axle at will and his 226 near one hand snatch and the possibility that he may have done a one arm deadlift with 500 would bode well for his back strength.

The only men to clean and jerk the Axle other than Apollon were Rigoulot, Davis, and Schemansky, while Mark Henry and Philippi have succeeded with the replica. Their best deadlifts were, respectively, 622, 705, 700, 903, and 815 (I may be slightly off on the last). In my opinion, this gives a good idea of the back strength needed to clean the Axle.

Mark