Captains Of Crush And Climbing

Captain Sam

Hi, my name is Sam and i live in Sweden. Ive resently descovered C o C and i am pleased whith the results so far. My question is, is there any climbers here on the forum who can tell me about what you think about C o C and the corrolation between gripper streanght and climbing streangth?

I have been climbing for 15 years and i closed the nr 2 in my first session, left and right. Sins then i have closed the nr 2,5 whith both hands and are 2 mm from the 3. My point is that during that time i have also experianced strong gains in my climbing. How about you others?

Hi, my name is Sam and i live in Sweden. Ive resently descovered C o C and i am pleased whith the results so far. My question is, is there any climbers here on the forum who can tell me about what you think about C o C and the corrolation between gripper streanght and climbing streangth?

I have been climbing for 15 years and i closed the nr 2 in my first session, left and right. Sins then i have closed the nr 2,5 whith both hands and are 2 mm from the 3. My point is that during that time i have also experianced strong gains in my climbing. How about you others?

Hi,

Welcome to the gripboard :)

you closed the no.2 from the first session!

Man your a monster :rock :rock

As far as I know, grippers can be of help for climbing if you haven't trained grip seriously and specifically before, but for best carryover from gripping to climbing you need to look elsewhere. I'm not a climber but this is what I've heard and it makes sense as one of the key aspects of grip strength is fingertip strength, which you don't build with grippers. As for improving your grip in general, of course grippers will help you with this and it's bound to have a certain effect to your climbing as well.

Here are plenty of guys with more experience on this specific area and I'm sure they will offer you their help.

Hi Sam,

How long have you been training with coc's, because if you're new to them and your only 2mm from closing the #3 then you're bloody good!! :rock

Dude you are strong! Where do you climb? Do you boulder, sport climb or trad? Indoor or outdoor? How hard? Do you use a campus board, system board or hangboard?

To answer your question I think grippers DO have a strong carryover to climbing but there are many other ways to train your grip that carryover as well.

One interesting thing to note is that, when I go on climbing trips I bring my grippers along to test athletesfrom all over the world. The strongest climbers are by far the strongest gripper closers. I doesn't prove anything of course, but it is interesting.

Welcome to the board!

Hi again, and thanks for your warm welcome.

I have been training with C o C for about 3-4 months 1-2 times aweek in between my regular climbingtraining (3 times a week). Its fair to say that me and a friend probobly are quite strong in the hands/fingers. My friend have closed the nr 3 allready, whating for me so we can get certified together. Both my friend and me are very heavy for climbers 80 kg + so our fingers must be strong or forget it.

I have used all of the above training methods over the years and i mainly boulder with a mix in of sportclimbing. I think that grippers is a very usefull tool for fingerstrenght but not the best if you are new to climbing because then there are better ways to get good in climbing. However i have done all of them and seeking somthing new to shock my muskles with and it works for me and my friend :D

To all of you, what are your greatest tips on the road to closing the nr 3 and beyond, what made a differens for you in your grippertraining?

Ps. exuse my spelling, im swedish ;)

my friends a fellow coc and hes been climbing for a few years now and he reports no real corrolation between his climbing strength and crush strength

think the more open handed the grip is the more it stresses the forearm nearer the wrist so climbing seems to be more about tendon strength, stuf like fingertip hangs, and pinch grip pullups seem to be better for climbing

but strong hands are strong hands, and closing the crush two with no trainning!... unignorable

I closed the #2 L&R the first time I tried it after climbing for many years. But that said, I don't think working with grippers helped my climbing any at all.

Ok, it seems to be like everythingl´s, individual! A very good climber Stevie Haston is adamant that gripper help in getting stronger for climbing and he said this on another forum for climbing.

"hello I am looking for stuff to get me stoked at the moment and as you lot occasionally do that, I,ll try to help you with the strength stuff. Captain of crush grippers are great fun and do help your grip much greater than a lotta big names in climbing will care to admit. There is some argument about how to use them but even if you use them in a slap dash manner they will still help. a number one for people of about 45 kgs is ok, a number two for people around 60 kgs, a number 3 for people of 75 kg and above. As Houdini implied people with big hands have an advantage, but so what, on routes advantages are had by differing morphologies too. If you use them for squessing repetively, I think the carry over to climbing is not as great as if you try different static holds,you can use them in many ways to mimic climbing holds, just think about it. They are great for improving pinch strength, and for the ring and little finger in the normal grip, but if you turn the gripper upside down with the spring by your little finger it will favour or stress your index finger more. the latter method might give climbers a better chance of closing bigger grippers. The most gains I got were when I put something between the handles and held the gripper so that as soon as my pressure slackened the object would fall, there is a photo of me doing it in a mag somewhere with a little weight attached and the photo is incorrectly defined. If I am not clear I,ll try to reply,but not to rude people, the scales thing is good fun but the numbers dont have a direct carry over to the grippers all though they are an interesting test. Grippers vary alot so a number three could be out by about 30 lbs of squezze and that is alot, I have four 3 and they are all different but it doesnt matter, there are now middle sizes which will help you a great deal, anyway hope this helps, dont get injured, stevie "

I think Stevie is right, and yeah he has closed a nr 3 :rock

Hi again. Forgott that i made a sugestion of how the grades in bouldering and gripperstrenght corrolated. Its just a sugestion with no hard facts or siantific value, just for fun ;) Interestingly i am stronger on grippers than in my bouldering, but not massevly so. I know tht my weight is to my dissadvantage in climbing but the other way around with grippers...

Nr 1 = 6C-7A

Nr 1,5 = 7A-7B

Nr 2 = 7B-7C

Nr 2,5 = 7C-8A

Nr 3 = 8A-8B

Nr 3,5 = 8B-8C

Nr 4 = 8C-9A

Sam - I got interested in grippers because of climbing too - its how I discovered IM grippers. I want to say it helped my climbing, but it might have been psychological, which is still helping. The grippers defenitely weren't hurting my climbing, but after spending alot of time on the gripboard here recently, I would have to say working your pinch grip would have the most carryover to your climbing (block weights, Blobs, etc..) and a "hangboard" has huge benefits (as you know) I wouldn't stop using them however cause they are still alot of fun, and we may all be wrong :laugh I think if you were to perform long holds on the grippers - keeping the handles shut for a long time - that would help your climbing - but short max attempts don't really simulate climbing that well. good luck w/your climbing!

The best single movement I ever used to help my climbing was "finger curls" - Todd Skinner told me about them at Wild Iris one trip and if I could only do one thing - that would be it. Of course we can do more than one thing - my two cents is that climbing is so much a movement skill sport that grip strength is only a piece of the puzzle - and not the biggest piece. Of course it doesn't hurt anything either. The biggest jump in numbers I ever achieved in one season was the year I took up Astanga Yoga and moved better.

Its FANTASTIC. I dont really train grippers anymore, but i did enough for a couple of years, to give me excellent grip strength on the wall. You find if you havent climbed in a while but you have been doing the grip training, you still have a very good grip on the wall, the only thing you lose from not climbing is endurance/stamina.

So IMO there is a very strong correlation and i am living proof of that correlation :)

I dont think you can correlate bouldering grades with grippers, there is too much skill involved in bouldering, plus there is very specific grip strength required, like open hand strength for smooth rounded holds

Hi. I just saw the sorin bloblifting video, impressive! I wonder where i can get my hands on one of those? Where can i buy one?

I have tried pinchlifting plates in the gym a couple of times and i managed 2 metal 35:s, the 45:s felt realy heavy! This is another good exercise for the pinchgrip in climbing i think.

Heres a tip for all af you gripsters who arent climbers. The campus board is an exellent trainingdevice for neurumuskular recruitment of more musklefibers. Be aware, its the most grueling trainingdevice ever made for the fingers and arms according to the climbing comunity. The campusboard is not so good for hypertrofy but for that i think the grippers is exellent if you use them accordingly.

Ps. i dont know how to paste youtubeclips, but just type "campusboard" and you will see.

The origonals are hard to find. A member here GordonV makes high quality replicas, I believe he still sells them for $130 including shipping. Look at the equipment forum and search for Blob50 for more info.

Hi. I just saw the sorin bloblifting video, impressive! I wonder where i can get my hands on one of those? Where can i buy one?

I have tried pinchlifting plates in the gym a couple of times and i managed 2 metal 35:s, the 45:s felt realy heavy! This is another good exercise for the pinchgrip in climbing i think.

Heres a tip for all af you gripsters who arent climbers. The campus board is an exellent trainingdevice for neurumuskular recruitment of more musklefibers. Be aware, its the most grueling trainingdevice ever made for the fingers and arms according to the climbing comunity. The campusboard is not so good for hypertrofy but for that i think the grippers is exellent if you use them accordingly.

Ps. i dont know how to paste youtubeclips, but just type "campusboard" and you will see.