From #1 to #3

"D"

Roark,

How is this belief "well founded"?  My initial thought here is to disagree.  Here's why: The flesh of my hands is still damaged, no doubt about that, but I noticed the back of my hands were sore as well.  Monday was also the first time I tried the outer loops, and I had a pretty good workout... enough to leave me sore.

While DOMS isn't the come all end all of recovery, it's a pretty good indicator I'd say.  The chances are, if you're still sore then you haven't fully recovered.  Don't you agree?

It sounds to me like it's not the musculature that is the problem in your case, your hands just aren't toughened up enough to take the pressure yet.  When your skin can handle the strain, then you'll know what's hurt.  Also, you need to remember that you can't really try slow progression with grippers.  If your goal was to DL 500 and -all- you had was a 500 lb barbell and a 300lb barbell you'd probably train frequently with the 500 as soon as you could lift it but not for big sets.

When I did what I call "serious work" on the SW, I experienced pain I didn't think was possible.  It hurt like a b*tch!!   :crazy

This is what the grippers do to your hands.  Kinney explained that in his video, which led him to invent the SW.  Your hand MUST get used to that kind of pressure or forget it.  Kinney was doing insane poundages on the SW; I was doing less than half of what he worked up to, and it felt like my fingers were going to rip away from my hand.  Ouch!!   :crazy  :hehe

It sounds to me like it's not the musculature that is the problem in your case, your hands just aren't toughened up enough to take the pressure yet.  When your skin can handle the strain, then you'll know what's hurt.  Also, you need to remember that you can't really try slow progression with grippers.  If your goal was to DL 500 and -all- you had was a 500 lb barbell and a 300lb barbell you'd probably train frequently with the 500 as soon as you could lift it but not for big sets.

I agree that the calluses haven't fully developed and my hands are still rather "soft" [though I prefer to call them "lover's hands"  :D ] but I don't think that's what's limiting my grip.  Let's just say it is though.  What should my training look like if I'm trying to toughen my skin?

Also, I hear what your saying about the progression in the DL as it relates to the progression in the grippers, but I think you missed the point I was trying to make.  Even if all you had was a 500lb barbell and a 300lb barbell, you still wouldn't work them everyday.  Which is what I was talking about, the training frequency, not the progression.  What makes the muscles of the hand different from the rest of the body?

Oh, and what does SW mean?

Snott

What's a good poundage on the SW?  What was Kinney using when he closed the #4?  What sort of sets/reps would you recommend?

Thanks