Az Grip Comp In September

acorn

Been thinking about putting on a Grip comp in the end of September for the west coast guys who will not be able to make it to BBB like myself. Pretty informal with no prizes or shirts, just braggin rights and a qualifier for the 2009 GGC. Entry fee will cover Braced bending stock and food after. Not sure of $ yet though. Gonna be at my house in the above ground grip dungeon. :)

Current planned events:

Grippers (MMS)

2HP

Axle DL or 2" vbar

Unbraced Freestyle Bending

Braced Bending

If you think you might attend post here. If you have a preference for Axle or vbar let me know. Also let me know what dates would work best. Like I said thinking End of September.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• acorn

• vikingsrule92

• The Natural

You know I'll be there Aaron. And from talking to Paul right now it sounds like Eric, Casey, and Paul might be there. I have a preference to 2" Vbar for obvious reasons, I'm a wuss on deadlift :D haha but it doesn't matter to me either way.

Looks great Aaron!

I just talked to my wife about the comp and she was cool with it! :blink Not sure how to get there yet, car/air , but I'll be trying to figure that out soon.

I did talk to Casey about it and its up in the air, but I haven't mentioned it to Eric yet - I'm sure we'll talk tomorrow.

How do you usually fair on the DO DL Aaron? I know you'll kick my ass on the V-bar :tongue

Edited by Paul Knight

Whats the closest airport to you all? cause if I'm flyin in I should look at tickets now. ;)

Whats the closest airport to you all? cause if I'm flyin in I should look at tickets now. ;)

Tucson International. Duhhh!!! Hahaha it's about 20 minutes from my house, not sure about Aaron's. But either way if you don't rent a car I can pick you up.

Awesome your wife is cool with it!! I'm pretty surprised ;) hahaha jk.

Tucson International. Duhhh!!! Hahaha it's about 20 minutes from my house, not sure about Aaron's. But either way if you don't rent a car I can pick you up.

:laugh I'm not too hip on where all the airports are in the US :laugh cool Derek, just don't do any keg-stands before scooping me up :laugh

:laugh I'm not too hip on where all the airports are in the US :laugh cool Derek, just don't do any keg-stands before scooping me up :laugh

Hahaha well you have to figure Tucson has an airport :D Ok, fine, I guess I'll try not to party too hard before picking you up, I'll only have a few drinks as opposed to my usual 3 kegs :D:laugh:tongue

I just talked to my wife about the comp and she was cool with it! :blink Not sure how to get there yet, car/air , but I'll be trying to figure that out soon.

I did talk to Casey about it and its up in the air, but I haven't mentioned it to Eric yet - I'm sure we'll talk tomorrow.

How do you usually fair on the DO DL Aaron? I know you'll kick my ass on the V-bar :tongue

I'm ok on axle. Depends mostly on if my back is actin up or not. My best in a comp is 355#, but if my back is acting up I'll be lucky to get half that. Its always a crapshoot.

- Aaron

I believe Rex said he was interested in doing the comp too.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

I believe Rex said he was interested in doing the comp too.

- Aaron

OK - its whatever for me then, cause either I get my butt kicked by you on V-bar or get my butt kicked by Rex on DL :laugh

Aaron,

I would love to attend such a fine grip comp. Not sure if I will be able to until a little closer to September. Where are you located ? There is a 4x4 shop in Temple Arizona I would love to visit while I'm there. Is Temple close to you ?

Aaron,

I would love to attend such a fine grip comp. Not sure if I will be able to until a little closer to September. Where are you located ? There is a 4x4 shop in Temple Arizona I would love to visit while I'm there. Is Temple close to you ?

Tucson, AZ buddy.

Tempe is about a 2 hour drive to the northwest. But if you guys go to the Grand Canyon like Paul was talking about it would be practically right on the way.

Aaron,

We would love to have you. Like Derek said about Tempe.

- Aaron

Aaron, what was that system for various lengths of braced you were telling me about? What beats what? Also, I'm assuming this will be at least a week away from BBB right? I don't want to be destroyed for BBB from this.

How does September 20th work for everyone?

For the Braced Bending I'm still working it out but will be initially based on similiar idea to David Hornes lists. larger diameter beats smaller. We will work it out though. Also I'm leaning towards Axle. I need to work some thick bar and only will for a contest it seems.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

For the Braced Bending I'm still working it out but will be initially based on similiar idea to David Hornes lists. larger diameter beats smaller. We will work it out though. Also I'm leaning towards Axle. I need to work some thick bar and only will for a contest it seems.

- Aaron

That should work for me. Ok, so it'll pretty much be just long bar in that case? Since there'll be no reason to use 1/2" or anything if any length of 5/8" will beat it. Are you going to use square stock too? 5/8" Square for instance?

I'm leaning a lot more towards Vbar so Rex won't win :laugh:D but it's ultimately your decision so whatever

- Aaron

Yikes! my wifes B-day is on the 23rd and I think Eric is going to Corpus around then - I was hoping for the 27th - is that possible? and still OK w/everyone - I defenitly don't want to screw anything up for someone else :blush let me know.

- Aaron

The braced will be interesting - if its based off of David's chart - will it be in catagories ie... long bar - mid bar - and spike length?, or would you combine all lengths together or just choose one category? 5/8ths please! :rolleyes:laugh and how would it be performed? would everyone be bending at the same time? or seperately? I think this one will take some planning :laugh

- Aaron

Yikes! my wifes B-day is on the 23rd and I think Eric is going to Corpus around then - I was hoping for the 27th - is that possible? and still OK w/everyone - I defenitly don't want to screw anything up for someone else :blush let me know.

How about the 13th then Paul? The 27th is way to close to BBB for me. And actually I'd prefer for it not on the 20th as well. It's kind of an important family day and it'd be better for the comp not to be then. How is the 13th for everyone else?

- Aaron

the date for me is open either way. So we should put it to a vote. If your thinking about coming do you have any issues with the 13th or 27th?

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

- Aaron

The braced will be interesting - if its based off of David's chart - will it be in catagories ie... long bar - mid bar - and spike length?, or would you combine all lengths together or just choose one category? 5/8ths please! :rolleyes:laugh and how would it be performed? would everyone be bending at the same time? or seperately? I think this one will take some planning :laugh

I've been thinking about it and still want to get some input from the other promoters but what I've come up with for braced is 4 bends just like unbraced.

But you will need 1 bend <36" and 1 bend > 36" with a max length of 48". so you could do 1 long and 1 short or 1 long and 3 short if you wanted for example. Combined placing for the 2. Prolly do 2" increments in shorter and 4" increments in longer. the increments are mostly for time reasons so I dont spend an hour cutting one off steel in the middle of the comp. Of course that is still up for discussion. Tiebreakers for placing in braced will be time. I plan on having 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and maybe even 7/8" if its not too pricey. Let me know what you guys think. As far as I know there hasnt been braced bending in an American comp so there could be some American Records set if the other promoters agree on this format.

Also I would like to do 3 benders at a time.

I'm thinking about putting the braced bending event last as well. Should be a nice finisher. :D

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

Aaron- See my post in the other thread.

Biggest concern for >14" is cost for promoters. Don't know if it could be a regular event given that barrier. Spikes are cheap enough though, and not enough guys are breaking 1/2 inch for anyone to go broke on a given comp.

Not saying longer stuff would be bad as an event, I am just question whether it would ever become popular enough for an American Record list.