Another Bolt Break

Paul Knight

Was trying to put together a cert vid for John - trying to cert on a 7"x 3/8" G2. John sent me 19 "HKT"s and one "307A DF". I've already bent a couple HKT's but they weren't from FBBC (guess thats what he's sellin now) Anywho - wanted to cert on the 307A DF, but the threads broke again :rolleyes It didn't snap like the G8, it kinda just tore - weird, guess cause its alot softer. Anyways, had to get the cert on an HKT which is a stupid bolt .... It WILL NOT bend in the center :angry: so its kinda an awkward bend - check it out

The broken bolt:

The dumb bolt:

Not the scary snap like the other one but still not something I think folks should be bending (unless the threads were cut off). Maybe this isn't a product John should carry. :erm The other one was so far off center you should have just cut the ends off and done a 5".

Note to self: Don't buy any 3/8" G2 bolts (if I ever reach that level).

I noticed there was around 1.25" of thread on the broken bolt - personally I've found that any 6" (or longer) hex-headed Gr 2 with a diameter of 5/16" or more will snap at the base of the thread if it's longer than 1".

Dave

Nice work Paul that look's like a cool gym you lift at not the nite club with weight's gym's we have in this area. :D

Great bending Paul. :rock Why do you chalk up your hair ? Oh. . . never mind.

HAH! :laugh:ohmy:calm

:blush:angry::angry: That hurts my feelings! :cry:cry:unsure:cry ............... Casey! I know exactly how to get to your house :devil I think I'm gonna stop at Walgreens and get some hair die instead though :laugh

That girl looked hot in the background

I was wandering if someone was going to mention that - I should've known it would be you Chad :laugh

Wow, nice bend as always.

Tim

Maybe if everybody would keep their hands on the metal a little bit, and not just pull on the wraps it wouldn't be so off center. ;) My only complaint about the gym is the queerosexual music that was playing :).

The music was towards that Rap crap, NOT Disturbed :rock.

Edited by justiceislost1988

Maybe if everybody would keep their hands on the metal a little bit, and not just pull on the wraps it wouldn't be so off center. ;) My only complaint about the gym is the queerosexual music that was playing :).

Hand placement has nothing to do with that HKT bending off center - and where do you suggest placing your hands Casey? I can mail you some of those HKT bolts if you like, they ALL bend off center. Maybe you can post a vid of you bending one right in the middle with your hand placement to show what your talking about. ;);););)

Hand placement has nothing to do with that HKT bending off center - and where do you suggest placing your hands Casey? I can mail you some of those HKT bolts if you like, they ALL bend off center. Maybe you can post a vid of you bending one right in the middle with your hand placement to show what your talking about. ;);););)

WHOA!!! Paul, calm down man. I was talking about the broken one though. I don't really want to start a wrap debate. And then you go and make fun of my weak bending. There is about 2.5" of metal showing between my Index fingers on a 7" bar. Not the 4-5" I see with most other benders. 6" has 1.5" between wraps. I don't hold the wraps I hold the metal. I don't pull down I force it over my Index fingers. I don't push in on it, I don't use any big leverage, I don't use double wraps, etc. It's my choice and my opinion. Train how you train, and bend how you bend. Have fun with it. I'm going to bend different and keep doing it. Hope to see the HKOAB soon. :)

Edited by justiceislost1988

WHOA!!! Paul, calm down man. I was talking about the broken one though. I don't really want to start a wrap debate. And then you go and make fun of my weak bending. There is about 2.5" of metal showing between my Index fingers on a 7" bar. Not the 4-5" I see with most other benders. 6" has 1.5" between wraps. I don't hold the wraps I hold the metal. I don't pull down I force it over my Index fingers. I don't push in on it, I don't use any big leverage, I don't use double wraps, etc. It's my choice and my opinion. Train how you train, and bend how you bend. Have fun with it. I'm going to bend different and keep doing it. Hope to see the HKOAB soon. :)

:angry::angry::mellow:mellow:sleep:sleep ............. :laugh:laugh Not trying to diss yo bending bud - I have no Idea where you are at on your bending :blush - those HKT's aren't that tough, I was being serious about sending you some to try and anyone for that matter, just to see if everyone gets the same results (the ridiculous off center bend :rolleyes )

Its cool! :cool

Nice job buddy!! :rock I had the same thing happen to me on a 6'' version of that bolt. I hit it, and it was starting to kink, and then I just felt something let go! :blink Unwrapped it, and sure enough, the threads were tearing at their base. Guess I'll just have to cut the threads off of one and try it again at 5'' here soon!! :D Congrats again on the fat bolt death Paul!!! :cool:rock

Edited by Foxman

One more thing Casey - Not really anything to do with a wrap debate - but when you DO bend, whether you use IM pads, single leathers, double leathers, or tissue paper, you still push on the ends of the bolt which could potentially break the threads - some threads are weaker than others. You could have two Edgins (same kind) and one break and the other not even bend. I think I've actually bent more threads on the crush than the kink. I think by slowing down the bend would yeild better results as far as not breaking the threads - its when I hammer into the kink is when they have been breaking on me. Just a little food for thought ;)

Great job Paul!

Stay strong buddy!!!

Mighty Joe

:blush:angry::angry: That hurts my feelings! :cry:cry:unsure:cry ............... Casey! I know exactly how to get to your house :devil I think I'm gonna stop at Walgreens and get some hair die instead though :laugh

I was wandering if someone was going to mention that - I should've known it would be you Chad :laugh

Yeah I have seen enough of your bending videos. From now on just go to the gym and follow around hot girls with your video camera to post on here! :tongue:inno

Edited by CaptainCrush

Yeah I have seen enough of your bending videos. From now on just go to the gym and follow around hot girls with your video camera to post on here! :tongue:inno

:laugh:laugh:laugh

And Fox - let me know if you wanna try one of these HKT's and I'll send you a few. :)

I am bewildered at the negativity of this post. What on earth would make you want to belittle somebody elses accomplishments ? Act like you meant no dis-respenct, well this post is pretty easy to understand to me. We all try to encourage each other, then you come along and be a total A-hole. Unbelievable. :angry:

I am bewildered at the negativity of this post. What on earth would make you want to belittle somebody elses accomplishments ? Act like you meant no dis-respenct, well this post is pretty easy to understand to me. We all try to encourage each other, then you come along and be a total A-hole. Unbelievable. :angry:

I agree!! Maybe there should be an unwritten rule about negative comments unless you have bent the same nail, bolt, etc.

On the other hand, we did have to suggest to Paul that he needed to put the threads in his "weak" hand so he wouldn't continue to break the threads. Paul, your such a girly man! :laugh

That girl looked hot in the background :yikes

Oh yeah those bends were great too Paul! :D

:laugh Yea I second that

Thats the bad thing about having all my equipment, squat rack, bench, etc in my garage. No hot girls ever wander in! :D

:laugh Wow. You completely took my post the wrong way. I meant no disrespect toward Paul at all, the was a great bend made to look routine. I have my opinions about all the force that was on the end of that steel, and why the threads broke. Paul is obviously a great bender, double wraps or not his bends are world class. I did not belittle any accomplishment at all. Obviously my post wasn't easy to understand because you didn't understand it. I'm saying, the wraps were barely on the steel putting all that pressure on the weak part of the bolt causing it to snap. Nothing against you or your bending Paul. Everybody gets so touchy but it's okay. I'll remain one of the only people who bends with only IM wraps :rolleyes. And I'll also be the only one who gets picked on for my opinions when everybody else expresses theirs so freely :). Great hub lifting by you too. Plus you have a cool name ;). :inno

:laugh Wow. You completely took my post the wrong way. I meant no disrespect toward Paul at all, the was a great bend made to look routine. I have my opinions about all the force that was on the end of that steel, and why the threads broke. Paul is obviously a great bender, double wraps or not his bends are world class. I did not belittle any accomplishment at all. Obviously my post wasn't easy to understand because you didn't understand it. I'm saying, the wraps were barely on the steel putting all that pressure on the weak part of the bolt causing it to snap. Nothing against you or your bending Paul. Everybody gets so touchy but it's okay. I'll remain one of the only people who bends with only IM wraps :rolleyes. And I'll also be the only one who gets picked on for my opinions when everybody else expresses theirs so freely :). Great hub lifting by you too. Plus you have a cool name ;). :inno

HAHA!! that made that post so much better!!

I'm not even strong enough to bend those threads, let alone bend that bolt! :(